Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2013 8:07:45 AM EDT
I have been duck hunting on and off for the last 7+ years but surprisingly never do the calling.  I have friends that I hunt with that always do the calling.  It is time for be to put on some big boy pants and start calling.  I have experience with hog and yote calling using mouth calls.

I need some recommendations on some calls (looking for low cost options to start to see what I like)?  And possibly some youtube channels to check out?  There are lots of youtube how to's but its hard to tell who is worth a damn.
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 1:47:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got a Knight and Hale Smooth Talker in my hands right now.

Single reed, easy to learn on, and sounds pretty good.

Personally I've always favored the cheaper calls over the more expensive ones.  I've got a Primos on my lanyard that I paid $15 for and has been my go to call for over a decade.
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 2:13:54 PM EDT
[#2]
The only duck call I know of is the duck commander. How good it is, I don't know. But, it seems like a popular item.
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 2:58:03 PM EDT
[#3]
RNT Daisy Cutter, Zink Power Hen, Foiles Straight Meat Mallard

If you can't call with them
just let your friends keep callin'
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 2:58:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Sean Mann WingNutz are good too
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 5:02:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys ill check those out.
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 12:37:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The only duck call I know of is the duck commander. How good it is, I don't know. But, it seems like a popular item.
View Quote

One of my hunting partners picked up a Duck Commander "Ole Raspy" at Walmart during our duck season back in Oct, for under $20. Sounds real good to me for something so cheap in price. Bought my own from the Walmart seasonal clearance sale rack last week.... $15.
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 12:39:54 PM EDT
[#7]
My favorite duck call is an old OD plastic Lohman's I got from Sports Authority probably 20 years ago. It's never let me down.
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 9:28:52 PM EDT
[#8]
ECHO makes a good single reed Polycarbonite Duck call for around $30. Check out the timber version over the open water so your neighbors won't hate you as much! Buy some extra reeds and have one of your buddies tune it for you.

If/when you go to drop $100+ on an acrylic call make sure you try it out first. Or you can be like my friend that just trade me a new $150 Zink SR1 and a new $130 RNT Short Barrel for a well used Real Thang goose call.

it took a little tuning but that short barrel sounds sweet!
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 5:04:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I picked up a Buck Gardener double Nasty recently.

It is great for feed calling and quacking, it lacks a bit in the top end for hailing though.

I took out the top reed and made it a single and the tone range is fantastic now, but it works very well in stock form too.
Link Posted: 1/4/2014 4:23:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Go to a cabelas or bass pro and try them all.  Each call is a little different, and responds different due to the presentation of air.  Find a call that fits you, and the way you put air to it.  

A double reed tends to be easier for a lot of folks to learn on. They tend to be more forgiving and easier to get a duck sound out of.  However, a big majority of double reeds tend have range and "fewer ducks'' than Single reeds.   Single reeds are less forgiving, but tend to have a better range from top end to bottom end and have the ability to sound like different ducks, such as an old boss hen or a young high pitched hen.

Once you have a idea of what you want, go check out the classifieds on duckhuntingchat.com  You can find some really good deals on calls on there.

Link Posted: 1/4/2014 4:36:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
ECHO makes a good single reed Polycarbonite Duck call for around $30. Check out the timber version over the open water so your neighbors won't hate you as much! Buy some extra reeds and have one of your buddies tune it for you.

If/when you go to drop $100+ on an acrylic call make sure you try it out first. Or you can be like my friend that just trade me a new $150 Zink SR1 and a new $130 RNT Short Barrel for a well used Real Thang goose call.

View Quote

Oh I'm sure my neighbors hate me, cause often I grab my calls, walk out side and give hell.

Been wanting to try out a short barrel, I've heard good things about them.  I had a daisy cutter, which was a fun call, and really helped me learn air presentation.  But, the ducks didn't seem to respond to it very well, so I traded it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2014 6:26:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Oh I'm sure my neighbors hate me, cause often I grab my calls, walk out side and give hell.

Been wanting to try out a short barrel, I've heard good things about them.  I had a daisy cutter, which was a fun call, and really helped me learn air presentation.  But, the ducks didn't seem to respond to it very well, so I traded it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought a RNT Short Barrel a few years ago, it wasn't my favorite call,  the way it was designed felt uncomfortable to me and I couldn't get it tuned not matter how hard I tried. They have made a few changes to them in the past couple of years. The new design feels a lot better and sounds 10x's better.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 12:01:01 AM EDT
[#13]
JJLares.spendy but worth the money.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 10:56:14 AM EDT
[#14]
The kind of call that works for you is going to vary depending on your hunting conditions and duck species prevalent in your locale.  With season wrapping up, now is a good time to pick up a few to try out.  I know locally that our Academy Sports has already marked down the majority of their duck calls.  I picked up an Echo 3-in-1 whistle for under $4 last week - and saw green wing teal practically break their backs to turn and come see what the commotion was about this past Saturday.  I also have a RNT Quack Head and an old (pre Duck Commander fame) Phil Robertson call on my lanyard - can't remember the specific model.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 10:34:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a RNT Short barrel that i love. Easy to blow. Doesnt take alot of air. And can be quiet if need be.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 8:38:59 PM EDT
[#16]
I've got an old Hunter Specialty Loudmouth, Foiles, Carlson, Zink, Echox2, RNTx3, and a couple others.  My favorite call is the Echo.  It fits my calling better.  I've retuned all the other calls to my liking but I will always grab my HS and Echo when I see the birds.  I liked the Echo for comp.

Buy a call and practice when there are no ducks.  You can't be good at calling right away.  Look for instructional DVDs first and practice in the house. I use to run competition routines when no one was home, because my family would get really annoyed.  The best place I learned to call was my truck.  On the way to work and on the way home.  30 minutes each way 5 days a week.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 1:53:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Sureshot Yentzen Classic for mallards:

Mayberry for Gray's:

Haydel's makes a decent gray call as well.

I've been using a cheap ass whistle for the teal, mallard drakes and pintail. But recently ordered a Faulk GW41

On the waiting list for this, still have a while to go until he starts turning mine. Ordered a cocobolo with oil finish:

Link Posted: 3/5/2014 1:57:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Duck Commander Triple Threat, Jack!

Link Posted: 3/5/2014 8:54:36 AM EDT
[#19]
I bought a duck commander call a while back.     it was a double reed mallard call.     wouldn't work wet at all.      I use haydels calls.    the dr85 is a great call.    I also like the buck gardner double nasty.       My buddies all use rnt.    theyre really nice but also 5x the price.     But if it calls in ducks, who cares what it costs...
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 10:20:15 AM EDT
[#20]
for cheaper beginner calls there are 2 that I would recommend. The Echo Trash Talker and the DR-85. Both calls can be had for less than $30 and will do everything you want to do with a call until you learn to use them well and do your own tuning. After that, if you want to step up to the higher end stuff, there are more choices than you could imagine. I saw someone else in the thread recommend a JJ Lares call. While I love Joe's calls, and personally use a T1 and a Hybrid myself, I would never recommend them to a beginner. They are not as user friendly as a lot of other calls out there and could very easily frustrate a novice into not wanting to call much. Good luck, and I know this is a little older thread, but if you have specific questions just holler. I may know a thing or 2 about calls
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 10:34:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I bought a duck commander call a while back.     it was a double reed mallard call.     wouldn't work wet at all.      I use haydels calls.    the dr85 is a great call.    I also like the buck gardner double nasty.       My buddies all use rnt.    theyre really nice but also 5x the price.     But if it calls in ducks, who cares what it costs...
View Quote

If you are the kind of person that likes to tinker pull the thick reed out of that double nasty. It is super versatile without it, and the high end rings so much louder.

After getting decent with single reeds I probably won't go back to doubles.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 1:32:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

If you are the kind of person that likes to tinker pull the thick reed out of that double nasty. It is super versatile without it, and the high end rings so much louder.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me either.  I started with doubles, later tried out singles and like the versatility of singles better.  Not saying anything bad about doubles, there are some good ones out there.    

I had the most success this year with a RNT mondo.  I will say it's not the easiest call to run.  It requires a little more air and different air presentation than your standard call, which is expected due to it's based off the older "cut down" style call.  I like it because I can get lower end than a traditional cut down, but can still get raspy and loud without the "ringing".   I've never been a fan of that "ringing" hail call.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top