Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/10/2010 6:26:10 PM EDT
Decided to give Duck and Goose Hunting a try again this past season after 25 years. ( I went when was a kid with Grandpa, and was cold, wet, and miserable)

I just used my heavy deer hunting clothes (bibs and coats), and my Muck boots. It worked, but would not want to do it all the time.

So I started looking for some chest waders, and WOW are there all kinds of brands and variances.

What has me a little puzzled is, they have Stocking feet waders in camo and such.

What are these for and are they really practical?

So looking for some advice, guidance, and recommendations.

So School me!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/11/2010 5:33:58 PM EDT
[#1]
My favorite type are rubber/canvas that are insulated. Neoprene waders are a little easier to move around in but for me, durability trumps all for me and you can't beat canvas covered rubber. Some brands I would recommend are Hodgman and MadDog. If the weather is nicer during your season than it is here in Minnesota you probably can forgo the insulated type.
Link Posted: 2/11/2010 5:49:12 PM EDT
[#2]
If you buy anything but the 5 mmm Hodgman neoprene, you are backing up.  I can't tell you about a stocking foot wader because they are for fly fishermen.  I am on my 2nd pr of Hodgmans.  I duck hunt in Arkansas, in timber.  You won't get any rougher on waders than that environment.  

You put on a pair of sweat pants under neoprenes, and you are good down to ~0~

Try this place:  www.mackspw.com  They have a huge sale going on right now.
Link Posted: 2/16/2010 7:03:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I like the Hodgmans too. I use the Cabela's 1600 Supermags and the Cabela's Dry Plus wader. You can't beat Cabela's return policy either. Mack's Pairie Wings have good waders too. They are made by Hodgman but cheaper. They have $4.95 flat shipping on all their web orders right now. If you are a little bigger guy you will want to get the Stout size as they have lots more room in them.

Link Posted: 2/16/2010 8:14:51 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I like the Hodgmans too. I use the Cabela's 1600 Supermags and the Cabela's Dry Plus wader. You can't beat Cabela's return policy either. Mack's Pairie Wings have good waders too. They are made by Hodgman but cheaper. They have $4.95 flat shipping on all their web orders right now. If you are a little bigger guy you will want to get the Stout size as they have lots more room in them.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d99/sig228/013.jpg
Thanks.

I was beginning to wonder if anyone had any advice.

Thanks for the advice about the Stout sizes. I am now at my Retirement weight, so the stout size is probably best.

That pic looks like you guys are just having to much fun. Let me know if there is room for a stow away.

Link Posted: 2/16/2010 8:21:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I got the ones with a zipper front. I need that in my old age because I have to take a piss every 20 minutes.
Link Posted: 2/16/2010 8:25:18 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I got the ones with a zipper front. I need that in my old age because I have to take a piss every 20 minutes.

I looked at these, but kinda got worried after all the negative reviews I saw about the zipper leaking after awhile.

This was serious concern for me.
Link Posted: 2/16/2010 11:20:33 AM EDT
[#7]
No problem. We can always find room for an out-of-stater to come hunt with us. TN has some good duckin spots to though. We do get a few diver down our way which makes for a fun shoot. Here's some Cans working my dekes.

Link Posted: 2/16/2010 12:41:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

No problem. We can always find room for an out-of-stater to come hunt with us. TN has some good duckin spots to though. We do get a few diver down our way which makes for a fun shoot. Here's some Cans working my dekes.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/sig225/IMG_0199.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/sig225/IMG_0200.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/sig225/IMG_0202.jpg

Awesome pics.

You are right, there are some GREAT duck/goose hunting places around here. Some demand GREAT $$$$$$ to.

Like I mentioned in OP, I had only been twice when was younger. MISERABLE is all I can say. My 3rd trip was this past Jan. in Southern IL. when took some Wounded American Heroes. So I am an Amateur when it comes to duck/goose hunting and would rather be around/learn from some folks before getting into the fancy stuff.

Thanks for the kind invite, and I may take you up on it this coming year. You Ohio guys never quit to amaze me with your generosity. Here is a link www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=8&f=12&t=382504 to an event that was put together this past year for some Wounded American Heroes I had the privilege of taking to Ohio
Link Posted: 2/16/2010 7:21:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I use Cabelas 1200 gram waders.  First time out with them in 22 degree weather I was not cold
Link Posted: 2/17/2010 7:29:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I have to second the vote for 1600 gram Supermags from Cabelas.  I just finished an awesome duck/goose season here in OK, and I gotta say, I was consistently the warmest of my friends during those cold ass mornings.  Good luck, and if you're ever around Oklahoma during duck season, shoot me a message and we'll go slay 'em!!!!
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 6:26:36 AM EDT
[#11]
I bought a pair of MadDog (made by Coleman) 1000 gm thinsulate 5mm neoprene waders.
They have served well. Keeps me warm and dry. I have not owned Canvas/Rubber ones so I can not comment.
I hunt in NYS on the coast in the great bay of Long Island (South Shore) . It gets pretty cold out there. Just make sure you have enough socks on.

Link Posted: 2/26/2010 6:19:40 AM EDT
[#12]
I have used and liked the Cabelas brand of neoprene waders. On my last pair though, I gave LaCrosse a try due to them offering a "KING" size (tall, but a bit stout). I can say to you at least this much, "DON'T BUY LACROSSE!" The waders, so-called brush-tuff, split catastrophically on all of the crotch seams after only 5 hunts. That was in December, and I am still awaiting my proper replacements (which I don't have to pay for at least). Cabelas are good to go IMO.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 6:29:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Either spend the money on 1600 waders or buy them big enough to put on some layers. If the waders you end up buying do not have a belt, buy one and use it. If you fall down with loose waders, they will fill with water and you will drown.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 6:50:15 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Either spend the money on 1600 waders or buy them big enough to put on some layers. If the waders you end up buying do not have a belt, buy one and use it. If you fall down with loose waders, they will fill with water and you will drown.

Thanks.

Did not even think about this:    If the waders you end up buying do not have a belt, buy one and use it. If you fall down with loose waders, they will fill with water and you will drown.

Been thinking I would be better off getting the STOUT version of whichever wader I eventually decide to get.

I normally wear a 10R, so been thinking that an 11 would be best.

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 6:55:13 PM EDT
[#15]
What above poster said. Fell into a hole when I was putting out some dekes and I was happy as hell I had neoprene waders.
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 4:08:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Another thing to think about is mud. Getting stuck really happens. A lot of guys make sure they have enough wiggle room to slip out of their waders if they get stuck. Not a bad idea.

Neoprene waders that fit tight really don't need a wader belt as they suck up tight to your body if you fall. I still wear one though.

As much as I enjoy arfcom there are some fantastic waterfowl hunting websites out there. Duck Hunters Refuge is the biggest and with you being a rookie and working with the Wounded Warrior project those guys will line up to help you out. Good luck and stay safe!
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 5:58:15 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Another thing to think about is mud. Getting stuck really happens. A lot of guys make sure they have enough wiggle room to slip out of their waders if they get stuck. Not a bad idea.

Neoprene waders that fit tight really don't need a wader belt as they suck up tight to your body if you fall. I still wear one though.

As much as I enjoy arfcom there are some fantastic waterfowl hunting websites out there. Duck Hunters Refuge is the biggest and with you being a rookie and working with the Wounded Warrior project those guys will line up to help you out. Good luck and stay safe!

Thanks for the information.

Just to clarify,

I do not work with Wounded Warrior Project.

They do great work, but are an entirely different organization.

I volunteer my time to Friends of American Heroes.

A 100% Non-Profit with no paid staff, that is dedicated to assisting Wounded American Heroes to either experience for the first time or continue to experience the great outdoors. The events are of course a way to say Thank You for their service and sacrifices, but it is also healing for them, physically, mentally and spiritually.

I have been doing this about 3 years now, and every event, I do not think it can get any better. Then the next event comes along, and I am amazed. We have been very blesses in our ability to continue putting these events on. We have had some VERY GENEROUS landowners and companies.

I have become very brand oriented to some brands out there.

I now use Avery, Foiles Calls, Stanley/Aladdin thermos/gear, and some other gear and also to certain stores like Cabelas.

I am doing the planning,partial execution phase for a Kentucky Turkey Hunt that will take place around the 3rd week of April.

Will be taking 8-10 Wounded American Heroes for a 3 day hunt on approximately 8000 private acres.

I am hoping to get some donations in to cover the food, and to be able to buy the Wounded American Heroes a "Gift Bag" of items. If it doesn't happen, then we will find a way to make sure it happens.

Thanks again for the advice/recommendations.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top