Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2017 5:13:50 PM EDT
I've got a SA 700 sitting around and the little .17 calibers have always been interesting to me.  Centerfire, not rimfire.  Varmint Hunter magazine is now gone, so I don't get any print mags where people write about the .17's in the field.  

I'd use it for woodchucks/crows out to 300, suppressed.  Looks like Berger stopped making the 37 gr. VLD so I'd be stuck with 20-25 grain bullets for the most part.  I'm leaning toward the .17 Mach IV, as introduced by Remington back in 2007.  

Worse case scenario, it is just a barrel and some reloading items.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:09:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I've used a 17Rem for years on coyotes and love it. I can't help with the Mach though.

I've been trying to find a good bullet the last couple of years since Berger discontinued the Match Varmint. I've been experimenting with the Kindler Golds lately. I would shoot the 25gr Hornady without any concerns if I were targeting crows and ground hogs.

Good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top