Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/18/2017 8:30:17 PM EDT
Hey y'all. I've got some property to set traps on that borders the James river. (Pretty big river). I can't find any otter toilets, or obvious slides they're using to enter/exit the water. They're obviously walking up and down the bank. Can I try moving some logs and narrowing it down, blind setting with 330s? I can see tracks where they are going into and out of the water, is it worth like, funneling them to this area with sticks and blind setting with 330s or 220s? Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:48:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Most of mine are incidental in beaver sets. A buddy does well setting on sign with footholds/drowning rigs.
Mussel based bait. But has to catch a lot of coons before the otters come back by.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 9:18:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I prefer blind sets to baited ones.  I've targeted and caught them using #4 coil springs on a drowner at where they come out of the water, with the trap sitting just under the surface at the edge. I use a 3/8 rerod with one of these for the drowner. Easy to set, no weight or bottom stake needed since you shove the rerod into the bottom, and nothing gets tangled up or broken off during the struggle.

Too bad you can't find a toilet, that would be much, much better.

This will also save you conibear marks on the underside of your pelt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top