Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/22/2016 1:48:50 AM EDT
do raccoon and coyotes see red lasers or green lasers?  i'm looking for another laser for my secondary/loaner NV unit and was thinking about getting a visible laser (either red or green).  just curious if those colors would spook the game, etc.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 8:41:57 AM EDT
[#1]
From what I was told, they (coyotes) are red/green color blind. I light them up with red and green and it doesn't phase them at all so idk why a laser would be any different.
As for coons, idk if they are blind to the color but it doesn't bother them, it seems. Hell I've used white light on coons and they just looked at me like wtf bro...
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 11:28:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Yotes see red as grey.  They see in shates of green, grey, blue and yellow.

I use a red light for spotlighting.  A friend uses green or red.  The green puts out way more visible light, but we seem to see less yotes when using it.

Im thinking of mounting a green light for the shot and a red handheld for scanning.

Link Posted: 11/28/2016 12:49:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I've shined many coyotes over the years. None have ever reacted to red light, as if it is invisible to them. I've never shined a coyote with a green light.

I have shined coons, deer, and rabbit with a green light. They do act like the can see the green light. Deer especially act like they can see their shadows cast from the light, if not the light itself, and it spooks them. Rabbits act like they can see the light directly and it usually spooks them.  Coons act like they see the light or their shadows from the light, but it rarely spooks them. They just look at it a bit and go back to feeding. Coons and deer have no reaction to a red light. I cannot recall rabbits' reactions to red light.

You didn't ask, but I've also shined lots of animals with IR. IR seems to be invisible to deer, coons, rabbit, beaver, coyote, bobcat and rats. Hogs act like they can see IR if it is an exceptionally bright IR light and the hogs are within 30 yards of it. Fox also act like they can sometimes see the IR up close.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 11:02:37 PM EDT
[#4]
thanks for the help everyone.  i think i'm good.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 9:24:53 PM EDT
[#5]
TON of information here!  yall need to make notes from this.  I have noticed rabbits see red light and red laser light.  I think coyotes see red laser light.  Rabbits see *me* when I am using IR light.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yotes see red as grey.  They see in shates of green, grey, blue and yellow.

I use a red light for spotlighting.  A friend uses green or red.  The green puts out way more visible light, but we seem to see less yotes when using it.

Im thinking of mounting a green light for the shot and a red handheld for scanning.

View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top