Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2016 1:14:37 AM EDT
Hey guys! Just curious.  How do you clean your squirrels? I've tried it twice just skinning out like a deer. Both times seemed like a pain in the button. Any tips or tricks?

Also, what are some of yalls  (ya I'm from Texas) recipes? How do yall like them cooked. We have tons of squirrel on the ranch. Especially during deer season they always bark at me.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 2:38:03 AM EDT
[#1]
We used to quarter them and stew them like you would chicken and then make squirrel and dumplings in a Dutch oven. You can use a rub in the fridge for a few hours, then room temp them and put them on the grill at 250 till done through. Just about any way you would cook dove or quail will work as well. They are very tasty.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 6:26:45 AM EDT
[#2]
https://cdn.ampproject.org/v/m.wikihow.com/Clean-a-Squirrel?amp=1&_js_v=5#

Excellent way to clean a squirrel.
I usually cook mine up in the Dutch oven, chilly or dumplings.
I have slow grilled em buy that "grosses out" my wife when she sees that.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 6:53:38 AM EDT
[#3]
It's a lot of work... but just exchange the "limb chicken" where is says "chicken"

Broasted limb chicken
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 8:38:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Young ones get chicken fried with a fairly long lidded time.

Old ones get stewed in a dumpling or Brunswick stew
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 10:20:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I always head shoot them, cuz if the spine is broken, my skinning system doesn't work as well.

First cut the head/tail and all feet off.

I make a cut straight across their back perpendicular to their spine.  Then you just work your fingers under the skin, and pull away from each other.  95% of the time, both ends come right off without much trouble.  Then I gut them.

I cut the carcass down the spine and fry them whole.  Eat the meat right off the bone.  Season how ever you want to.  I've never had a bad squirrel.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 1:04:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I boil them and take the meat off the bone then stir fry
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 6:03:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Skin them right after you kill them while they are still warm, it's a lot easier.  I keep a few groggier store bags in my vest to put the skinned carcasses in.

Slow cooked Limb-rat stew.

First you got to get you some squirrels. When I skin my squirrel unless they are huge I usually just keep the hindquarters and the back up to the bottom of the ribs. I mention this just so you get an idea of how much meat I used.

I started with six Fox squirrels hindquarters/backs. I soaked them overnight in salt water in the fridge to get the blood out. Boiled the squirrels till they are easy to de-bone, usually about 15 minutes. De-bone and chopped the meat into nice size stew bits.

Then prepared the following ingredients:

1 large onion chopped (I like to cut it into wedges and then pass it through the thickest blade of the wife's food processor)

1 large green pepper chopped

1 lbs of carrots sliced thick

4-5 medium potatoes chunked

1 can of stewed whole tomatoes.

2-3 cups of snapped green bean (I used frozen but fresh is always better)

2-3 cups of corn (I used frozen here too but fresh is always better)

1/4 of a medium head of cabbage chopped

1-1/2 Teaspoon of Salt

1-1/2 Teaspoon of Black Pepper

3 cups of water

In a large crock-pot, put the meat, spread out, on the bottom and salt and pepper the meat. Next add the onions and green peppers, then the potatoes and carrots. Then the whole stew tomatoes and most of the sauce they’re in. Next layer on the beans and corn. Finally top it off with the Cabbage. Add the 1-1/2 cup of water pouring through the ingredients. I like to substitute a ½ cup of a good lager for ½ of the water, but make sure its not a bitter lager or darker beer. Turn the crock-pots on low for eight hours. I leave the ingredient layered for that eight hours although it probably doesn’t matter. Depending on how hot the low setting is on your crock pot is and how fine you chop the ingredients you might at the end need to turn the crock pot up to high for about 30-45 minutes to make sure the potatoes and carrots are tender. I usually mix well before turning it up for the last 30-45 minutes. Serve with saltine crackers or a good hard bread.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 8:31:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I always head shoot them, cuz if the spine is broken, my skinning system doesn't work as well.

I make a cut straight across their back perpendicular to their spine.  Then you just work your fingers under the skin, and pull away from each other.  95% of the time, both ends come right off without much trouble.  Then I gut them.

I cut the carcass down the spine and fry them whole.  Eat the meat right off the bone.  Season how ever you want to.  I've never had a bad squirrel.
View Quote

This is how I skin them.  Then I crock pot them, pull the meat from the bones and store it till I make something that needs meat.

Anything from salad to cream gravy.

I usually put all my mammal meat together. Squirrel, coon rabbit muskrat etc.

Actually, I eat most of it minced and mix with mayo , pickles , hot peppers and on a roll.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 10:48:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 5:36:21 PM EDT
[#10]
I just make a cut all the way around the squirrel mid back work my fingers inside and yank with one hand toward the tail, other toward the head, hide slides off life a sweater in each direction..
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 11:28:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

This pretty much . I clean the meat off the bone and fry it .
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 3:01:20 PM EDT
[#12]
The only thing I would add to the above posts is, I use an open flame to scorch off any small hairs that are left stuck to the carcass after skinning.
It works better for me than trying to wash them off, and nothing is worse than hair in your squirrel and dumplings.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top