Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2016 10:06:39 PM EDT
Got invited to hunt some squirrels at the last minute. Only shotgun I have is a Mossy 500A 12ga with the 18.5 cylinder bore barrel. Will I be wasting my time with this setup? I am interested in eaters but don't want any mangled or destroyed kills. Was thinking of using some 5/6 birdshot and aiming in front of their heads.

Should I pass on this trip until I get a 20ga with longer barrel plus a medium choke? It is a shotgun only area so no go on my .22.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 10:22:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn Shotgun is way overkill for squirrel. .22lr is where it is at if you want to eat it. I would say if have to use a shotgun .410 bore is the way to go. Anything else not much to eat after.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 10:39:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll see if I can find a .410 or a 20 till then.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 10:48:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I' e killed/eaten countless squirrels harvested with a 12ga (modified choke).  #6 shot is my go-to; never had a problem.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 10:49:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Hunted many tree rats with 12 gauge.  Prefer 22 or 410, but you will not have a problem with your set up.  Just mind your close shots.  I recommend steel shot, it doesnt seem to penetrate too deep in the meat.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 11:05:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Shot my 1st squirrel w/ a 16 ga.  Squirrels aren't more delicate than dove.  If I recall #6 just penetrates the fur.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 11:54:52 PM EDT
[#6]
.17HMR headshots FTMFW
ZERO meat lost.
DRT
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 6:44:52 PM EDT
[#7]
A lot of guys hunt them with shotguns here. They try to hit them with the fringe of the pattern. I prefer a .22 myself.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 7:09:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Shot my 1st squirrel w/ a 16 ga.  Squirrels aren't more delicate than dove.  If I recall #6 just penetrates the fur.
View Quote

Yup, just pick a distance as your "no shoot" distance. Small birds, small game, it's all about distance and pattern.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 5:36:18 AM EDT
[#9]
You'll be fine. I've hunted squirrels with #7.5, #6, #4 and #2 shot. I think #4 is best, less pellets to pick out from the meat when eating and still enough stopping power out to 50+ yards. Just don't shoot anything closer than 15 yards if you plan on eating them. My average shot distance is 30 to 45 yards and #4's work great.

Around here, I prefer using shotgun during early season until all the leaves are down. Then I'll bring out the 22.

Here's a few from this season taken with my M4 using improved modified choke running #2 and #4 shot.

Link Posted: 10/10/2016 5:44:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Thank you for all the replies. I am going to sit this one out. Went to Academy and they didn't had the Mossberg 500 20ga 26" barrel with a choke set I was looking for. I will look for a park that allows .22's down the road.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 6:23:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:  Thank you for all the replies. I am going to sit this one out. Went to Academy and they didn't had the Mossberg 500 20ga 26" barrel with a choke set I was looking for. I will look for a park that allows .22's down the road.
View Quote

They should have the Mossberg Maverick 88 in 20 ga for $190, or tell you which nearby Academy stocks it.  The 500 runs $100 or so more.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 6:50:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Just use #6 and you'll be fine.  We fill the freezer here with that.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 9:19:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

They should have the Mossberg Maverick 88 in 20 ga for $190, or tell you which nearby Academy stocks it.  The 500 runs $100 or so more.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Thank you for all the replies. I am going to sit this one out. Went to Academy and they didn't had the Mossberg 500 20ga 26" barrel with a choke set I was looking for. I will look for a park that allows .22's down the road.

I'm spoiled with the tang safety from my current 500/12ga.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 9:47:33 PM EDT
[#14]
A 20 gauge isn't gonna make that big of a difference.

Your 12 gauge set-up is fine for hunting limb rats. Use #7.5 or #6 shot and go slay the little rat bastards.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 8:35:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Your 12 gauge set-up is fine for hunting limb rats. Use #7.5 or #6 shot and go slay the little rat bastards.
View Quote

True.  I use whatever I feel like.  Lately it's been a 20. I'm a multi Hunter so I follow the laws of a certain species that might be in season ( turkey, waterfowl, etc) then  if I come across a squirrel I usually can't pass it up.  

If you want a more multi purpose barrel Mossberg has a 20in vent rib barrel with screw in chokes.  I use that for just about everything.  Sold my 18.5 to offset the cost a little. And what's a inch and a half more length. Two fingers width.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 11:37:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

True.  I use whatever I feel like.  Lately it's been a 20. I'm a multi Hunter so I follow the laws of a certain species that might be in season ( turkey, waterfowl, etc) then  if I come across a squirrel I usually can't pass it up.  

If you want a more multi purpose barrel Mossberg has a 20in vent rib barrel with screw in chokes.  I use that for just about everything.  Sold my 18.5 to offset the cost a little. And what's a inch and a half more length. Two fingers width.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Went ahead and got an aftermarket 20in barrel for the 500 for $70. Added some chokes so I am good to go.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:12:17 PM EDT
[#17]
I use a 28 inch barrel with a full choke, and cheap wally world number 8 dove shot for hunting squirrels where I live. No rifles, including .22 inside city limits. It does just fine. Of course, I am shooting them out of big oaks, and pecan trees, not in the woods.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top