Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2016 11:01:24 PM EDT
I have a 12 g. Remington 11-87  and I wonder what choke youd recommend?  what barrel length?  thinking 18.5 barrel or 21, with full choke.  any recommendations?
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 1:59:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Chokes and to a lesser degree bbl length, really depend on your anticipated range(s).  A 21" bbl with a modified - full is a good place to start...
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 2:47:17 AM EDT
[#2]
My buddy up in the Alaska range uses a turkey choke i gave him in his Benelli M-1 Super 90 for coyotes and the occasional wolf. Tight pattern at longer range.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 6:15:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My buddy up in the Alaska range uses a turkey choke i gave him in his Benelli M-1 Super 90 for coyotes and the occasional wolf. Tight pattern at longer range.
View Quote

I haven't killed a coyote with it yet, but my Benelli M2 Tactical is set up with a Carlson's extended extra full turkey choke.  Patterns are tight enough with 3" Long Beard #4's out to 60 yards.  I would think any 3" heavy load of #2-#5 shot would work. Maybe #4 buck shot?
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:59:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Every shotgun is different, you;ll have to try some on paper to figure out what your gun likes. I use a Carlson's Dead Coyote choke with copper plated BB up to #4 buck with good results.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:08:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I use #4 buckshot, you need to pattern your gun/chokes with your load. Mine patterns best with my modified choke with some loads. With my handloaded #4 buck my turkey choke patterns the best.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:09:34 AM EDT
[#6]
With larger pellets (often used for larger game than birds) a full choke tube may actually provide a looser - wider pattern than a modified.

Pattern your shotgun to see how it shoots with what you shoot...

BIGGER_HAMMER

Link Posted: 8/31/2016 9:56:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Patternmaster EXT choke or carlsons modified with lead buckshot, or A dead coyote choke with dead coyote loads.

The smallest shot I would shoot in a 3" load would be lead BB, in a plated pellet and well buffered.  I've shot dozens of fox and coyotes with winchester lead BB, through a patternmaster choke inside 40 yards.  I don't prefer BB for coyote, but it's great for fox.  for 30-70 yards, and targeting coyotes specifically, buckshot or dead coyote.  the energy retention of the tungsten dead coyote loads gives sufficient penetration on coyotes out past ranges that most gun/choke combos can hold a pattern together.  Nothing worse than tracking a yote for 2 or 3 miles after you only put one pellet in it.
Hornady superformance buckshot used to be my go-to load, but I really am starting to like the federal buckshot loads with the flight control wads.  they are pretty sensitive to chokes though, and I wish they made a flight control load in 3.5" of #1 buck.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 11:40:58 AM EDT
[#8]
For woodland coyote work I use a benelli m2 with a 21" barrel with carlson choke and dead coyote loads.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 10:17:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Mossberg Tactical Turkey. I believe it's a 535.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 9:09:23 AM EDT
[#10]
4 Buck and turkey choke for me.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 10:21:18 AM EDT
[#11]
If making them dead is your primary objective, slugs will pound them at much greater distances.

Picking them off at 110 yards is still a good option to keep available in thick woods.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 9:40:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Cylinder bore and a breneke black magic will do just fine
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 8:31:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Hey thanks.  got the Carlson "dead coyote" choke.  Using number 4 shot and 3 inch loads.  I think I'm there!
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For woodland coyote work I use a benelli m2 with a 21" barrel with carlson choke and dead coyote loads.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/3/2016 11:16:35 PM EDT
[#14]
OP, you need #4 Buck not #4 shot.... #4 shot is for birds.

Got this one a couple days ago.

Link Posted: 12/3/2016 6:59:01 PM EDT
[#15]
The shorter barrel will be more maneuverable but will reduce your range some, I always want to extend my range as far as possible, I just a Truglow Gobble Stopper choke and its holds a pretty tight pattern, check out federal #4 Buck 41 pellets in a 3" shell-bad stuff
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top