Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2016 9:06:48 AM EDT
I have been deer hunting for many years with good success, and I am interested in getting into coyote hunting.  I have a FoxPro hellfire.  I have access to about 1000 acres, part of which is my hunting lease.  The landowner who lives next door has seen and heard coyotes on many occasions.

I went out once and got some answers back, but didn't bring any coyotes in where I could see them.  I get that I need to play the wind.  What I am wondering is how long do I play the call for?  Do you put it in the desired sound (e.g. pup in distress) and play in continually?  Do you run it for a few seconds then turn it off for a while?

I realize this is a pretty basic question, but I would be thankful for any advice.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 7:45:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Sneak in quiet and then set up and give a few mins before trying the call.

Start off pretty quiet on the call for 30 sec or so, that way you do not scare anything off that might be close already.

Give 45-60 sec of quiet then try the call a little louder for 30-45 sec. I then give 30-60 sec between calls for a total of 12 mins.

If it is in a large open area then I call louder and try for 15 mins to give dogs time to cover the longer distances.

That is how I use distress calls. I think that most people tend to overcall. If the dog is in a great spot and range to shoot I bark with my mouth and they almost always stop for a few secs for you to make the shot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top