Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/7/2016 8:49:19 PM EDT
I am shopping for a shotgun, and the 3" shotguns are a good amount more than the 2.75" in the used arena.  Is the extra length worth it for range, killing power etc?  Looking to use for coyotes.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 11:47:54 PM EDT
[#1]
More is always Better!!

3" gives you the option of

(A) more velocity (range) for your regular payload weight

or

(B) more payload (pattern) for your regular velocity

Win or Win...

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 11:54:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I like 3" for steel loads as there is enough volume in the hull to get a decent load.  The actual SAAMI pressure specs for 3" is exactly the same as 2-3/4" loads.

I've never played with lead buckshot or slugs, it could well be that they fit better in a 3" hull and you can get more pellets without exceeding pressure.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 12:26:36 AM EDT
[#3]
If you are a good shot it makes little difference.
It does not effectively increase your range any more than 23/4". You can change the payload and increase the velocity which may extend your range a bit. You can do the same thing with 23/4. You will just have fewer pellets in a given pattern.
Think of it like this: with a 3" shell you increased the amount of shot. In order for the increased payload to travel the same distance as the comparable 23/4" shell you have to increase the boom to push it. All you realy effectively do is fill the pattern with more shot.
So.. If you are a good shot you can use a tighter choke with 23/4" and achieve the same results.

Now. Having said that if you constantly shoot heavier shot sizes like 2,4 or BB then 3" makes more sence because you increase the number of large pellets so you do not have as many holes in the pattern at longer ranges. For upland game and the twice a year Duck hunt... 23/4 will work just fine.

As a practical matter. You buy the 3". Because you have more options in the future and you can still shoot 23/4" if you don't like the recoil of 3".
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 12:45:38 AM EDT
[#4]
One minor practical matter.   If we are hunting upland bird (generally lead is allowed unless you're on a wildlife refuge or most of the tribal areas) I use 2-3/4".  For all steel loads I use 3" or 3-1/2".  It keeps it a little easier to not get caught with the the wrong damn ammo in your pocket.  You'll get a citation if you have lead shot loads on your person if you're hunting waterfowl - I know if I have a 2-3/4" shell in my pocket it's lead.  Even if the print is worn off.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 1:22:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 4:51:42 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Just depends on what you are hunting...
View Quote

Right now or planning in the future, clay, dove, quail, raccoon, coyote.  No place for waterfowl, and no buck fever.  Maybe freezer does, but shouldn't effect much.

Link Posted: 7/8/2016 4:57:51 PM EDT
[#7]
No one every completely knows what the future may bring or what you may decide to hunt...

I have a pair of 3.5" magnums (870 & Benelli Nova) that I can shoot everything from the easiest of lite skeet loads, or stout goose getters...

I do hunt birds, so being able to use the same gun from Doves to Ducks, Quail to Goose helps me shoot more consistantly...

Link Posted: 7/8/2016 5:11:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top