Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/26/2016 7:44:40 AM EDT
Hey guys, hunted all my life but never messed with trapping. Had to pick up a few traps this week to take care of a possum problem under a rental property and they were cheaper buying in a "combo" pack (possum sized and a smaller one inside) than just buying the single possum/raccoon size trap. Now I have 2 small (roughly 6x6x18) traps sitting here not doing anything that came with the bigger traps.  I have 4 boys that love anything outdoors, what kind of game or varmits are these sized traps useful for and what can we bait them with?
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 2:35:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Squirrels, chipmunks, maybe rabbits.
I'd guess peanut butter for the first two.  We always used a chunk of carrot for rabbits.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 3:17:22 PM EDT
[#2]
weasels may go for sardines or a scrap of chicken..........

of course,those in Washington REALLY like stacks of 100's

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 9:47:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies guys, I was thinking rabbits in the backyard, I'll have to go to the farm for squirrels (only a mile or so away, but not where the kids can walk of the back door and check it). No weasels around here, at least of the 4 legged variety, and I'd never seen a chipmunk in person until work sent me to Massachusetts about 10 years back for a class. Funny thing about that, I always thought they were squirrel sized, turns out they are itty bitty things, only about 1/3-1/4 of the size of the grey squirrels I'm used to seeing
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 1:36:11 PM EDT
[#4]
i am no expert at trapping at all.  I was kinda in same boat.  raccoons killing my chickens.  I bought a dozen duke dog proof traps.  in less than 3wks I have caught 19 coons and 7 possums using a mixture of cat food, dag food, and small marshmallows.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top