Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2016 11:11:05 AM EDT
And do I need a license?

Also, anyone between FL and WY need any help with ground hogs and/or prairie dogs...

Might have an unexpected cross country trip coming....
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 11:54:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
And do I need a license?

Also, anyone between FL and WY need any help with ground hogs and/or prairie dogs...

View Quote

You are going to find out this is very much like asking "where can I hunt hogs, for free"  
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 12:15:47 PM EDT
[#2]
You will need a small game license in Colorado. They are a available in annual and daily varieties. There's quite a bit of public land with doggies but none around where I live in the western part. The eastern prairies will have plenty of towns but just about all of it will be private farmland.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 12:18:40 PM EDT
[#3]
BLM land in WY.  Get a map.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 10:02:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

What do I need to hunt them on BLM land? Out of state license...management area permit..small game license?
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 10:45:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 11:15:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You will need a small game license in Colorado. They are a available in annual and daily varieties. There's quite a bit of public land with doggies but none around where I live in the western part. The eastern prairies will have plenty of towns but just about all of it will be private farmland.
View Quote

So the BLM land is in western CO? Any small game I can hunt out there...coyote maybe?
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 11:40:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes most of the BLM land is on the west side. Although there are some National Grassland areas on the plains. I believe they are open to hunting and shooting.

A small game license will let you hunt all the traditional small game animals, when in season, plus prairie dogs and coyotes. Basically in Colorado you need some kind of license to shoot a critter.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 7:25:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm thinking this...where to get a map..
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 8:15:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just so you know; there is a surprising lack of BLM land in WY.     Especially, on the Eastern side.      I got the official maps from the BLM office, and it was still very hard to figure out the where and how of it, even when I lived there.     Best bet, see if you can talk a local guy into showing you the ropes, BEFORE, you drive out there.    Can you download the maps?    Take a look, you'll see what I mean.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 6:53:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Just so you know; there is a surprising lack of BLM land in WY.     Especially, on the Eastern side.      I got the official maps from the BLM office, and it was still very hard to figure out the where and how of it, even when I lived there.     Best bet, see if you can talk a local guy into showing you the ropes, BEFORE, you drive out there.    Can you download the maps?    Take a look, you'll see what I mean.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've pulled up what I can from the wyoming fish and game site. It shows maps of the state forests and breaks down areas that are BLM but the maps look like they were shaded with crayons. I don't get it, but their is BLM land around. And I'm trying to find the regulations on for their state forests. Can you hunt coyotes and other pests all year? It's looking like you can.. Am I wrong? I got no problem going to Bridger Teton or one of the other national forests....
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 9:01:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Call the blm for the area you plan to be in. Ive seen tons of dogs on public lands
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 8:26:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You are going to find out this is very much like asking "where can I hunt hogs, for free"  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And do I need a license?

Well, I am following up with a response from my current location of Saratoga WY with the answer. Yes you can.

More to follow in a few days.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:46:56 AM EDT
[#13]
I can smell the juniper and sage from here.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 3:22:37 PM EDT
[#14]
urbanredneck, care to outline the process for future trip makers? I'd be interested in doing the same kinda of trip.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 2:20:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
urbanredneck, care to outline the process for future trip makers? I'd be interested in doing the same kinda of trip.
View Quote

There wasn't a lot to it. A good sporting goods store or BLM office will have the maps that show private, state and federal land. You don't need a hunting license to hunt for varmints or predators (which includes yotes and PD's). You can hunt them on state or federal land unless the land is otherwise posted. I didn't know where I was going when I got out there so I just drove and figured it out. I found an okay spot to camp which was BLM land since there was too much snow to get up into medicine bow national forest. I had to ask a guy I ran into about where to look for PD's and he pointed me in the right direction.

It was definitely easy. My biggest stresses was trying to find the information for where to hunt, licensing requirements and airline travel guidelines for transporting firearms. Now that I did it, it wasn't that bad.

Check out my other post in small game with more pics and an outline of the trip. Another contacted me about the trip and took his kids out to the same area over the weekend.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top