Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2016 5:12:15 PM EDT
Been looking for a shotgun, and have it narrowed down to a Stoeger M3000 or a Remington 11-87.

I am also pricing out ammo, and wanting to know what everyone is shooting at predators.

Skunk

Possum

Raccoons

Fox

Bobcat

Coyote

Been told everything from #8 birdshot to #00buck for raccoons, skunks, and possums.  Let me know what you shoot.  Brand, shot size, material, and shell length.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 6:15:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Been looking for a shotgun, and have it narrowed down to a Stoeger M3000 or a Remington 11-87.

I am also pricing out ammo, and wanting to know what everyone is shooting at predators.

Skunk
Possum
Raccoons
Fox
Bobcat
Coyote

Been told everything from #8 birdshot to #00buck for raccoons, skunks, and possums.  Let me know what you shoot.  Brand, shot size, material, and shell length.
View Quote

I turkey hunt, so I just buy Winchester #4 Long Beard in 12 ga 3".  For the smaller stuff?  A heavy load of #6 and a tight choke.  Sometimes you can find #2 steel shot fairly cheap as well.  I recommend an older 870 Wingmaster for pump, or a Benelli M2.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 7:08:28 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I turkey hunt, so I just buy Winchester #4 Long Beard in 12 ga 3".  For the smaller stuff?  A heavy load of #6 and a tight choke.  Sometimes you can find #2 steel shot fairly cheap as well.  I recommend an older 870 Wingmaster for pump, or a Benelli M2.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Skunk

Possum

Raccoons

Fox

Bobcat

Coyote

Many people said pheasant loads, TBR Outdoors did an episode on the Predator Hunting Talkcast and suggested the same.  Academy has high brass #2 lead for $13.99

Link Posted: 3/25/2016 8:43:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I prefer #8's for trap, so that's what I use for small game as well. I've always got it laying around. As far as shotgun choice, have you looked at the Beretta A300 outlander? About the same price as those and a way better gun in my opinion. If you're dead set on one of those, get the Remington.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 8:59:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I am shooting #4 Buck (Federal Vital-Shok -  but it costs a bit more) for coyotes and coon.  With a carlson coyote choke I can get some pretty decent patterns out to 70 yards. A fair number of those 41 pellets go exactly where they are supposed to go.

I'm using a 12 GA Mossberg 500 with a 20 inch barrel and those are 3 inch shells.

I don't think I'd enjoy fleshing a pelt taken with a smaller shot size, which also plays into my choice.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 2:01:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Number 4 buckshot for coyotes and such.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 10:04:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I carry 3 inch turkey loads in 4 shot. Never managed a Coyote but numerous fox's and bobcats have fallen victim to it. If you're putting down varmints and you don't care about saving meat or pelts you'll have a hard time finding a better load.

No specific brand I buy what's on sale normally.

Link Posted: 4/5/2016 10:57:41 PM EDT
[#7]
In this particular case, 00 Buck.

Link Posted: 4/6/2016 1:28:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I carry 3 inch turkey loads in 4 shot. Never managed a Coyote but numerous fox's and bobcats have fallen victim to it. If you're putting down varmints and you don't care about saving meat or pelts you'll have a hard time finding a better load.

View Quote

The local Gander Mtn has good deals on cases of Winchester ammo from time to time.  I think it is usually 5-10% off per full case, and a rebate from Winchester.  I stocked up on AA loads and some heavy 6's.  During one of the ammo panic sessions, all I could buy was shot gun ammo, so that's what I got.  

My old neighbor gave me a case of old paper 16 ga #5's many years ago and we used that for muskrat punting off the seawall.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 9:08:46 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I prefer #8's for trap, so that's what I use for small game as well. I've always got it laying around. As far as shotgun choice, have you looked at the Beretta A300 outlander? About the same price as those and a way better gun in my opinion. If you're dead set on one of those, get the Remington.
View Quote

I have, I just haven't found any used yet.

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 9:12:46 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote

I've been looking at #2 and #4, as those seem to be most popular.  More at the heavy 2.75 than the 3, but it would obviously be good to start.

Link Posted: 5/5/2016 4:25:53 PM EDT
[#11]
for dedicated shotgun coyote hunting, I shoot hevishot dead coyote or federal flight control buckshot.
For fox, lead BB.
For any other non protected critter, whatever steel shot duck or goose loads that are rolling around in my car or truck.  3.5" 1 1/2 oz BB through a patternmaster choke flat hammers skunks and ditch kitties.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 7:37:46 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote

Walmart has 3" No. 4 12 ga for $5 for 10 when I was in there Saturday.  If I had a shotgun I would probably pick some up.

Link Posted: 5/15/2016 9:47:42 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Walmart has 3" No. 4 12 ga for $5 for 10 when I was in there Saturday.  If I had a shotgun I would probably pick some up.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's the way I always did it. Find some Turkey loads on sale, 4 shot or 6 it's never made much difference on the critters I've dumped with the 12 gauge. You don't need the super duper specialty loads with the fancy wads or whatever. Any turkey load will fuck up somethings day.

Link Posted: 6/19/2016 7:40:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Most of the time I use a breneke black magic slug, or #4 if it isn't a skunk, possum or raccoon
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 8:05:57 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Number 4 buckshot for coyotes and such.
View Quote
That's what I use for 'Yotes as well (have a partner with an AR) Everything else on your list gets the AR.

Link Posted: 9/18/2016 4:10:38 PM EDT
[#16]
inside 20 yards the the turkey load with a full choke will work fine on everything except yotes and maybe cats.

Cats can be tough to kill. Yotes tougher.

For yotes and cats 4 buck and a tight choke will work to 50 or 60 yards.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top