Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2016 10:08:26 AM EDT
I'm looking to add .17 HMR to the rifle lineup.  I currently have a few rimfires but all are .22lr.  Primary purpose would be a 50/50 split between small game and a "understudy" rifle to begin some precision rifle shooting.  Looking specifically at the 17 series rifles from Savage right now.  How have those rifles been for those that have them? Also looking for glass recommendations.
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 10:29:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I had the cheap blued/synthetic heavy barrel with the accutrigger. It was a tack driver with the hornaday 17 grain ammo. I had a 3-12x vortex scope in some dnz game reaper rings on it for optics.

I shot squirrels with it for two years and it never gave me any problems. Only thing that would tick me off is if you left an empty case in it for a day or two it would stick in the chamber. Most of my rimfire bolt guns will stick an empty in that situation once in a while but the savage did it every time.
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 12:41:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a marlin but several friends have savage and they're nice. The trigger is great, and accuracy true. Only have experience with the heavy barrel models, highly recommend them.

There is a model with rails and a threaded barrel. Highly suggest springing the extra dough. We all shoot suppressed and it's a joy to pop ground rats and squirrels without the loud report. Allows for doubles and even triples on the same mound since they dont spook as easy when shooting suppressed.

For scope vortex 3-12 or 4-16 and vortex rings. Great glass for the money. They go on sale from time to time and it's a steal. Should be able to find the rifle online for around 520 and scope/rings for 300/60. With transfer and shipping it's around 950ish and well worth it. Toss a suppressor on the end, pack a lunch and snacks. Be prepared to lose track of time and be out all day.
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 1:22:40 PM EDT
[#3]
There's a couple of .17" HMR uppers now available, as well.
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 1:55:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't forget CZ.  I love mine.

Link Posted: 3/8/2016 1:57:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got a Savage MK II heavy barrel 17 HMR in the black synthetic stock.  I've added a leather cheek piece and a bipod and it shoots great with Hornady 17 grain ammo.  A friend let me take his light barrel Savage 17 HMR to Wy on a prairie dog shoot.  Very impressive even in the wind.  My Friend's Savage had the BSA Sweet 17 scope and that is what I'm using on mine.  Seeing how much fun it is to shoot and effectiveness on the PD towns convinced me to buy a 17 HMR.   Makes a very nice combo and really isn't all that heavy to pack around.

The same Friend who has several Savage 17 HMR's bought the short barrel threaded SR model and it shoots as well as the other Savage 17 HMR's I've been around.  If we could have suppressors in my state I would have opted for the threaded barrel model.
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 11:19:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 10:32:56 AM EDT
[#7]
I forgot to mention that when I recieved my Savage MK II heavy barrel I found the barrel was binding on the synthetic stock which affected the accuracy.  I sanded the stock to where the barrel is now not touching and torqued the stock screws to spec.  My Savage now shoots better than I can.
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 1:00:15 AM EDT
[#8]

mine looks like this savage. It is a laser.
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 3:52:44 AM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 3/16/2016 11:01:29 AM EDT
[#10]
I have the Ruger 77/17 and the Ruger American Rimfire, both shoot very well. Quite a price difference and you can feel it, but as far as accuracy goes they are about the same.
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 3:45:55 PM EDT
[#11]
CZ 452/455 American, I had a Burris 3X9 on most of my rimfires.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 10:58:18 PM EDT
[#12]
I've got a basic savage 93R with the standard barrel. Super light, plenty accurate. I really, really like it.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 11:43:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Used a 93R in a stock config for a long time.  Finish was in rough shape being in a SxS and tractor for most of it's life so I refinished it and put a Boyd's stock on it.

Very pleased with the stock upgrade.

Link Posted: 7/31/2016 12:24:35 AM EDT
[#14]
I own a Savage 93 model with stainless steel barrel and gray laminated stock. Its a tack driver.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 12:29:42 AM EDT
[#15]
I took my Ruger 77/17 target out today and blasted 4 ground squirrels with it. I love this thing and it feels like a real rifle not a cheap rimfire.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 1:39:53 AM EDT
[#16]
I love my savage 93r blued with the heavy barrel, it works well, but The stock feels like cheap plastic because it is cheap plastic.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top