Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/27/2015 3:59:32 PM EDT
My cousin and I are planning quite a bit of winter hunting this year and bobcat is on our list. His dad has done it for years but I want to get the right setup to not have a big entrance and leave all the bullet pieces inside the body. I have a 22 Hornet but that shoots 35gr vmax bullets over 3000fps, I might be able to get it cut down to 16" to drop the velocity some. I also have a 12" AR that I use for coyotes shooting 55gr bullets at 2850fps. I think I can download a bit and get around 2700fps, maybe that velocity and 55gr vmax would work. I'm just trying to avoid an exit wound.

So what do you guys think would do the trick for essentially zero pelt damage from 50-200 yds on bobcats?

I suggested 17hmr, but he says he says he would like to see something with a heavier bullet.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 4:48:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I also wondered about a TSX load, it would definitely exit, but shouldn't make a big messy exit. Either 62 or 70 grain and just expect a pass through. Any experience with those on bobcats or coyotes?
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 5:41:55 PM EDT
[#2]
17 HMR is what you seek.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:00:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
17 HMR is what you seek.
View Quote

What type of range do you think is possible?

I've killed tons of small critters with my 17, but for some reason I've never gotten a coyote with it

Also unsure of how it would react to hitting a rib square on.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 10:20:31 AM EDT
[#4]
.22WMR solids are the old school fur saver for fox and smaller.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 8:46:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Killed more cats with a 22mag with a round to the eye then with anything else.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top