Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2015 11:28:47 PM EDT
Watching my game camera over my salt lick I saw a bobcat spending some time over it and a yote.  I was thinking of taking my Savage FVSR II with a Spectre II suppressor and subs out so that if I saw them, I would not spook the deer.  Head shots would be doable with it.  Would that be sufficient for them, I don't want to just wound something.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 2:15:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't. I have nothing against coyote hunting. I've shot a good many but from experience I'll tell you a 22 LR is not good.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 3:54:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Watching my game camera over my salt lick I saw a bobcat spending some time over it and a yote.  I was thinking of taking my Savage FVSR II with a Spectre II suppressor and subs out so that if I saw them, I would not spook the deer.  Head shots would be doable with it.  Would that be sufficient for them, I don't want to just wound something.
View Quote

I hope you're trolling OP
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 5:28:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, not trolling, asking a serious question.  I have not hunted yotes or bobcats before.  I ask about using the suppressed 22 so as not to spook the deer.  I asked because if it is not suitable, headshots would not be a problem, but if not good, then I will not.  That is why I asked, I want a clean kill.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 9:57:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 11:46:18 AM EDT
[#5]
A high velocity to the cranium would probably be quick and humane within 25 yards but are you using high velocity with a suppressor? are you that good of a shot with a suppressor?

I used 22s a lot as a kid on groundhogs with cci stingers. I was a good shot but a few got away and I started using my dad's 223.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 1:32:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I have no experience on the matter, but I don't understand why an ear full of .22 would fail to kill a coyote. I can see distance playing a role, but what else would present a problem?
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 2:29:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I can group 1-1.5 at 50 yards using CCI standard velocity at 1070 fps.  Hitting it should not be an issue at 25-30 yards.  I just want to be ethical with it and do not want the animal to suffer.  Otherwise, I will just use my .308.  It is suppressed but not subsonic.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 2:32:46 PM EDT
[#8]
A lot of trappers use a .22 to kill the animal.  Close range and carefully placed head shots.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 3:07:28 PM EDT
[#9]
why you gotta kill the bobcats?  Do you seriously think that they will eat the does or bucks you want to harvest?  Maybe a weak or slow fawn...

Coyotes, on the other hand, can be a problem.

Link Posted: 11/13/2015 3:37:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Cats a friggin' hard to kill. Even with .22 at close distances it's not a sure thing.
We have an on going feral cat issue....
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 8:59:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, sounds like I should not worry about it, I don't want to just wound, that would not be right.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 7:47:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Just use your .308 to be sure. The sound of gunfire doesn't really spook deer much anyways.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 8:25:53 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Cats a friggin' hard to kill. Even with .22 at close distances it's not a sure thing.

We have an on going feral cat issue....
View Quote
They are.   Brother shot a feral between the eyes with sub's and he ran off.   Saw him the next day running around with no more than a drop of blood on his forehead.   Rear head shot was more successful.

Link Posted: 11/15/2015 8:27:16 PM EDT
[#14]
I shot a yote in the ass with a .22 from a M&P22 last night, it jumped and ran off. If it was a good hit, hopefully infection sets in and takes him out of the circle of life.

Link Posted: 11/15/2015 11:35:17 PM EDT
[#15]
I didn't take it, heck, only saw one deer anyway and it was below the antler point restriction so I could not take it.  Slow day.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 11:10:02 AM EDT
[#16]
.22 isn't optimal, but I can tell you it does work. CCI standard velocity.

Link Posted: 11/20/2015 2:32:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
There will probably be a couple guys show up who will tell you .22 lr is fine for coyotes, and bobcats, but I would not try to humanely kill an animal the size of a coyote with it.
View Quote

This. I respect wildlife too much to allow unnecessary suffering even if it is just a yote.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 12:10:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I shot a yote in the ass with a .22 from a M&P22 last night, it jumped and ran off. If it was a good hit, hopefully infection sets in and takes him out of the circle of life.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

That is definitely not a douche bag thing to say at all......

Quoted:

This. I respect wildlife too much to allow unnecessary suffering even if it is just a yote.

Same here.

And I respect coyotes more than any other animal. People have been trying to wipe them out for 100+ years and there's more now than there ever has been. JMO
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 12:42:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Same here.

And I respect coyotes more than any other animal. People have been trying to wipe them out for 100+ years and there's more now than there ever has been. JMO
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Same here.

you'll get over it!
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:26:59 PM EDT
[#20]
If you can get within 50yds and for sure drop it in it's brain bucket.....you won't have a problem. I've seen many 1500lb cows and bulls drop from a 22 to the brain at 10yds.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 9:42:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There will probably be a couple guys show up who will tell you .22 lr is fine for coyotes, and bobcats, but I would not try to humanely kill an animal the size of a coyote with it.

You should have seen the GD thread were a guy was talking about making a hole trap for them with a piece of culvert pipe, letting about 4 or 5 getting stuck in there, then just burying them all alive with the front end loader after a few days.

It was fucked up.

I realize his livestock is at stake, but for the couple cents it costs to check it each morning and put one between their eyes, it's the right thing to do.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 6:04:26 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I can group 1-1.5 at 50 yards using CCI standard velocity at 1070 fps.  Hitting it should not be an issue at 25-30 yards.  I just want to be ethical with it and do not want the animal to suffer.  Otherwise, I will just use my .308.  It is suppressed but not subsonic.
View Quote
so long as you're taking headshots and hitting your target I don't see a problem with it. You don't have to blow the things head off to make a clean kill.

Link Posted: 12/5/2015 9:43:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
so long as you're taking headshots and hitting your target I don't see a problem with it. You don't have to blow the things head off to make a clean kill.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

.22 is a strange round I think.

I have shot coons out in one shot and killed them dead, and others have taken 4-5 shots before going down.

Coons are tough as nails of course, but I think the margin of error with the round is super small, especially at a distance.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 10:42:59 AM EDT
[#24]

It can be done.....

Red

Link Posted: 12/5/2015 10:54:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Personally on a yote I don't give a shit if it's a clean kill, I just want the sob dead. If it takes him 2 days to die, I give zero shits. Bobcat, if head shot was possible inside of 50 yards I'd take the shot, otherwise I'd want a .223 with a varmint / tipped projectile just behind the front shoulder.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 11:40:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 12:12:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Not my first choice, but if I'm out hunting with a .22lr and see a yote or bobcat; I'm going to put a bullet through its chest if I can.  It will die.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 12:25:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Protecting livestock, shootem with whatever ya got. Sport hunting, bring more gun.
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 3:46:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Judging from the replies in this thread it all boils down to the individual's ethics...

I ALWAYS try for a quick, clean kill whether it's a varmint, or a trophy.
View Quote

+1 for this. Still legal to take with a 22lr, but 223 is cheap and works a lot better and will drop them quick not to mention much better range.
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 2:28:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Protecting livestock, shootem with whatever ya got. Sport hunting, bring more gun.
View Quote

That is exactly my thought.^^^

The yotes around here kill livestock, cats, dogs, and have approached children at play.  If all I have on me is a nerf gun, so be it, I'm taking shots at a coyote any chance I get with whatever is in my hand.   That being said, I have some sort of pistol on me pretty much 24/7, but that's my take on killing yotes nonetheless.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 11:16:04 PM EDT
[#31]
I've only killed one coyote ever. And it was with one shot from a 22lr. To the heart. DRT. Bulk pack federal I believe. It was 10-15 yards.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top