Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2015 2:16:01 PM EDT
This year I'm going to take some time off work, and so some hunting around NW Indiana.  I'm planning on going after rabbits and coyote.  Rabbits seem easy, well grab our shotguns and kick some shrubs and see what we get.

But coyotes I know nothing about.  My budget for calls is about $100, but ive no idea how to use them, or how I should camouflage myself, so I'd appreciate any tips you have to offer a newbie.

Right now.I'm thinking a wounded cottontail call, a cheap electronic caller, and something to help me blend in while calling.
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 9:32:49 AM EDT
[#1]
There's more articles and videos onlline for a beginning caller than you could ever hope to read/watch. Skip any electronics for now and get some good handcalls. Keep the wind in your face and don't move. The best hint about successful calling is that sounds are a very small part of calling in coyotes.
To be successful on a consistent basis is getting out there and finding out for yourself what works. There's alot of us who have spent thousands of dollars and hours invested in learning. I liken calling coyotes to a college education; you don't get a degree for showing up for a day and saying you want to do it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 6:43:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Pretty much what the poster above me said.  But i would like to explain something a little more.  
When approaching your stand keep the wind in your face.  But while on the set calling you have to watch the down wind. during daylight hours hunt the thick stuff,  first/last light and at night hunt the fields and field edges.

And i agree with that budget skip the e-caller...But if you can stretch that budget a tad check out the new deadbone or inferno by FoxPro and the Icotec line of callers.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 11:37:18 PM EDT
[#3]

One of the best instructional videos is Tony Tebbe's "So You Want To Be A Predator Hunter."  Well worth the investment. He focuses on the setup which is the most important and most difficult part of predator hunting. His website also has quite a few free videos that are informative.

Link Posted: 10/27/2015 3:25:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

One of the best instructional videos is Tony Tebbe's "So You Want To Be A Predator Hunter."  Well worth the investment. He focuses on the setup which is the most important and most difficult part of predator hunting. His website also has quite a few free videos that are informative.

View Quote

I wouldn't give Tony Tebbe one more cent of money.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 5:30:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

i've had no issues

Link Posted: 10/27/2015 6:15:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
i've had no issues

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

i've had no issues

You would if you'd heard about the treatment of both his customers and their decoy dogs he was supposed to be training. No personal experience but there was a very public fall from grace.

Link Posted: 10/27/2015 10:49:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You would if you'd heard about the treatment of both his customers and their decoy dogs he was supposed to be training. No personal experience but there was a very public fall from grace.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

i've had no issues

I don't have any knowledge of his conduct nor have I had any personal dealings with him. I recommended his DVD  based on how much it would help the OP.

Link Posted: 10/27/2015 10:55:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I don't have any knowledge of his conduct nor have I had any personal dealings with him. I recommended his DVD  based on how much it would help the OP.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

i've had no issues

Understood. I know you're not trying to defend him; nor am I saying he doesn't have a good DVD for starters.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 11:39:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top