Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2015 8:59:23 PM EDT
Had a coyote chase deer in front of my stand last Wednesday evening, went out this afternoon and there was one lounging in the bean field for hours about 155yds out. I was watching the napping dog and another one came out of the wind break and trotted by about 65 yes out.
In Ohio we can only have one hunting implement so if I take a rifle looking for dogs I risk having a big buck get away. I really want to go out and take a few of these coyote out without spending money on an expensive calling device.
Are there any noises I could make that might tempt one to come play?
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 12:23:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy a good closed reed hand call to start. If you can blow a candle put you can blow one. Listen to some examples of people calling on YouTube; mimic them to the best of your abilities and you will call coyotes.
Suggestions I'd make are the Dan Thompson PC1 or PC2, and definitely a Weems call. There is very little learning curve with any of these.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 6:41:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you

Will get out and find those, exactly what I was hoping to find out.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 6:07:33 AM EDT
[#3]
The cheapest?  Free. .lip squeak.
For calls check out dog down  predator call, $15 shipped pretty versatile and works well.  Next best price most likely a diaphragm call.  Then open or closed reed calls
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 4:53:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Buy a good closed reed hand call to start. If you can blow a candle put you can blow one. Listen to some examples of people calling on YouTube; mimic them to the best of your abilities and you will call coyotes.

Suggestions I'd make are the Dan Thompson PC1 or PC2, and definitely a Weems call. There is very little learning curve with any of these.
View Quote
I was reading this thread this morning trying to learn a bit about coyote hunting.  We heard a lot of them while camping the other night during our deer hunt.  I bought one of these DT PC2s at Cabelas just now.

My wife and kids did not care for it.    

Our GSD was very interested, lol.
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 10:55:30 AM EDT
[#5]
I would suggest getting a closed reed rabbit distress call and practicing. If they are that comfortable in the area you may not want to try coyote sounds as a beginner, they will probably catch on to you before you clean out the pack. I always carry a rabbit distress while deer hunting. If you can see them they can hear you and you should be able to call them into bow range. The rabbit distress doesn't seem to bother the deer either, so it shouldn't disturb your deer hunt. Good luck!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top