Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/28/2015 6:57:22 PM EDT
So my hound dog was barking at something behind the house way back in the woods yesterday evening.  It sounded like another dog was barking back at him.  So I figured ok, whats up.....better investigate.  

Grabbed my trusty suppressed AR15 and took a walk in the woods.

Got back there and see this coyote and my hound dog in a Mexican standoff of sorts.  So I headed that direction and the coyote took off over a hill before I could get a shot at it.  I crossed a creek and hound dog took chase up over the hill.

I hear quite the commotion of dog sounds (aggrivated barking, etc.) from over the hill, and then hound dog is seen coming back down the hill towards me full speed with coyote right behind him.  I raised my rifle and fired two shots at said coyote and he took off back over the hill.  Thought I had hit him so decided to go on up and find the body.....no body found, and then heard him barking some more about another 75 yards or so further back in the woods.

I decided to walk slowly that way.  Stood and waited about 3 minutes and said coyote comes out of the wooded area and sees me, then decides to come straight at me.  At 65 yards out my trusty red dot leupold scope finds front center mass and I squeeze off the shot.  Never saw the hit but heard a smack of the bullet hitting something.  So I walk towards the area of engagement and about 10 yards from the area the coyote jumps up from the tall grass and starts at me.  I raise my rifle to finish him off, and he flops over a couple of times and doesn't get up.

I walk up to him and offer him a cigar as he was taking his last breaths...he declined said cigar so I shot him again for good measure.  Then I lit up a cigar and bathed in the victory of the hunt.

Strange behavior from a coyote I'm guessing?  seems like it wanted a fight for some reason instead of heading off in a different direction, so kind of confused about this one.  This coyote barked a lot.  It barked like a regular dog.  strange.....it also chased hound dog and hound dog is about 80 pounds of muscle and definately larger than an eastern coyote.  another strange occurance?

anyway, hound dog was happy.  I was happy.

The only good coyote is a dead coyote

I love the smell of victory in the morning...or evening....

Yotes dont smoke ceegars...

Hound Dog

ETA:  did a search on "barking coyotes" and found its common when female yotes encounter dogs encroaching on their den territory.  So............I guess I need to get back out there and find the den as I bet one is back there.  

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:17:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Good shoot.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:15:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Well done. I wish I could take out the coyotes that walk my AO at night. See them walking down the middle of the street, proud as shit
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:16:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Did you yell "He's coming right for us"   ??    
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:49:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Got Netflix?
Look up Coywolves

Wolves and coyotes interbreeding

Resulting in larger,more addressive yotes
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:10:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:10:49 PM EDT
[#6]
whatever it is there's more where that one came from.  went out back again tonight and hound dog got on track of one after it started barking at us just like the last one.  got a running shot at it when it circled around and came after hound dog.  missed thru the dense brush.  will get after them another day.  I think i see a thermal scope on the horizon for this kind of activity.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:50:34 PM EDT
[#7]
You make it sound easy.  I went out looking for them a few weeks ago and all I found was sweat and ticks.

The guys over at predatormasters have some pretty entertaining video of using their trained decoy dogs to lure coyotes in. I'd be nervous about teaching my girly pup such a skill.

Here'sa decent one.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:26:18 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't know why I thought this thread was going to be about Ford crate motors.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:11:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Looks like a young one to me. The low hanging fruit are trying to find their own territory this time of year.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top