Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/25/2015 8:31:28 AM EDT
When you remove all the flesh there's supposed to be a membrane? How do you tell the difference? Is there a color to it?

Also how do you get the fur to be soft and malleable? i.e. something you can make a coat out of.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:35:44 AM EDT
[#1]
It's the white skin you need to get down to. If it looks like meat or fat it needs fleshed off.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 2:54:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's the white skin you need to get down to. If it looks like meat or fat it needs fleshed off.
View Quote

ok. I guess that's the part that you keep salting for a week before scraping off? Also how do you keep the leather from hardening and keep it soft for use in cloth making?
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 3:21:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Kill it, skin it, flesh it, dry it on a board or wire, ship it to Moyles for tanning.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:19:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Kill it, skin it, flesh it, dry it on a board or wire, ship it to Moyles for tanning.
View Quote

lol well that is an option but I was kind of wanting to do it myself.

ETA: Ok intact fur dressing is what I wanted to do with the hide to make clothing out of. Finally found out what the proper term is.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:57:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

ok. I guess that's the part that you keep salting for a week before scraping off? Also how do you keep the leather from hardening and keep it soft for use in cloth making?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is no salt used in this process. The fat and meat is scraped off immediately after skinning.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 4:33:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

There is no salt used in this process. The fat and meat is scraped off immediately after skinning.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is there like a "For Idiots" guide on how to do it?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:44:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you have never done it I would suggest buying a premade kit. They aren't all that expensive and will come with instructions and all the supply's. A quick google search for tanning kits will give you some options.

When it is hard it is rawhide. When it is tanned it becomes leather and is technically a chemical transformation of rawhide to leather. That's when it can be made to be soft for clothing and jackets and such.

You can leave it in rawhide form for wall hangers or some projects but for long term use tanning it into leather will be your best bet.

It took me about half a dozen hides practice before I got a decent result. And even that one was only about good enough for a coon skin cap. Of course I was about 14 then so about 29 years ago.

Good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top