Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2015 1:01:59 AM EDT
My step father and my step uncle are having to terminate some coyotes that are causing problems around my uncles farmland.  So my step father wanted a .17 rifle because my uncle had one.  I suggested an AR 15 type rifle.  Anyone have any better suggestions?  (I don't think he is going to put any money into night vision.)
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 1:24:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd go higher than a .17hmr. With great shot placement it'll work. But just for example I shot a coyote that was in my trap with my .22LR 10/22 the other day using CCI Stingers about 4 times before I finally pulled out my 9mm handgun and put it to rest.

.223 with some v-max/z-max bullets is a great thing for coyotes. If money isn't an issue I'd also consider a 6.8spc or 6.5 grendel
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 2:04:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd go higher than a .17hmr. With great shot placement it'll work. But just for example I shot a coyote that was in my trap with my .22LR 10/22 the other day using CCI Stingers about 4 times before I finally pulled out my 9mm handgun and put it to rest.

.223 with some v-max/z-max bullets is a great thing for coyotes. If money isn't an issue I'd also consider a 6.8spc or 6.5 grendel
View Quote

Good call.  

Hornady stopped production on the Z-Max 55 grain bullets.  (Pretty much the same round ballistically as Critical Defense - just with a brighter polymer tip)
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 9:22:16 AM EDT
[#3]
.17 hmr or 17 centerfire?

This time of year doesn't matter, the fur is worthless anyways. Tell him to use whatever he has already, 30-06 or whatever deer calibers he might have laying around.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 12:22:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Good call.  

Hornady stopped production on the Z-Max 55 grain bullets.  (Pretty much the same round ballistically as Critical Defense - just with a brighter polymer tip)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good call.  

They still make 50gr ones though.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 9:59:40 PM EDT
[#5]
.17hmr will put them down, however if your hunting West Georgia your shots are going to be close and quick. Unless you have large fields.

I would even consider a 12ga with buckshot. They will sneak up on you and sometimes only have a second or two before they are gone.

Where are you? I might could come by and run some traps for them over a few weekends.

Link Posted: 3/14/2015 12:39:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
.17hmr will put them down, however if your hunting West Georgia your shots are going to be close and quick. Unless you have large fields.

I would even consider a 12ga with buckshot. They will sneak up on you and sometimes only have a second or two before they are gone.

Where are you? I might could come by and run some traps for them over a few weekends.

View Quote

Not sure where my step father and uncle go.  It is private land.  I think its more pest control than wanting to hunt.  They do something with livestock.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 7:53:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Not sure where my step father and uncle go.  It is private land.  I think its more pest control than wanting to hunt.  They do something with livestock.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't hunt them much either... I mainly trap for population or nuisance control for farmers, ranchers, and hunting leases.

I've got property in Carroll County if that's close to ya'll.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 11:39:46 PM EDT
[#8]
#6 Buck works well at close range with a 12 gauge shotgun. .223 or .243 would be more effective at longer ranges.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top