Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2015 1:58:34 PM EDT
I have been setting mine at 3 1/2 lbs but I've had 5 in the last week that didn't fire off.
That's an unusually high number. I can bet at least a couple were non targets like coons or possums but 5?

I'm thinking I'm going to drop down under 3lbs, and wire brush all of my pans and dogs. I would hate to have to clean them all and reduce them all. ( 300+ traps)

The pups aren't out yet around here.

Anyone else have a preferred weight?
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 12:11:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Had a guy ask me the same, and I honestly don't know.
Do it by feel.

Very few coyotes here, at least for now, so I set light for foxes anyway.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 1:02:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Had a guy ask me the same, and I honestly don't know.
Do it by feel.

Very few coyotes here, at least for now, so I set light for foxes anyway.
View Quote

Yeah foxes are light. Sometimes I will set for them and drop it down under 2 pounds. I've found over the years I can keep a lot of the nuisance small animals off by setting a more exact weight.

Since I get paid to trap specific animals ( not for the fur ) it makes me frustrated when I see the wrong animals in my traps.

Every time I have to let a possum / cat / coon / fox out I think of the coyote that might have walked by.... Just one of those things I guess. LoL
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 10:12:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Set 2,3, or 4 per site then.
Thinking is, catch the non target and still have a traps in action.
But in my case, just means, 2, 3, 4 possums.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 5:02:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Set 2,3, or 4 per site then.
Thinking is, catch the non target and still have a traps in action.
But in my case, just means, 2, 3, 4 possums.
View Quote

I usually set doubles for just that reason. Since I'm trapping in downtown urban areas I have even had to target possums for the first few days just to clean them out so I can go in and set for coyotes. Those dam things are everywhere.

One thing I have found different when setting for city yotes is I can't be overly aggressive. Since I may only be trapping a green corridor 100 yards long and 50 yards wide. We also have to stay off roadways here in Georgia and I have to be careful and put my sets out of eyesight so some peta idiot won't freak out.

If I pressure them to much they will just move down to the next building. Which I guess gives me a possible new customer. Haha
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top