Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2015 3:40:33 PM EDT
Looking to get into hunting coyotes to cull the pop for a better fawn crop.

I have hunted pigs and deer for years.  I have camo and a tripo stand overlooking a 200 ac field.
Plan on using my 6.8 as my hunting gun, possibly gonna get a caller off of amazon (so which caller, under 200?)

So what else do I need?  Any tips?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:49:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Hunting is fun. And should be loads of fun for you.

But to have a noticeable effect on fawn recruitment you will need to remove better then 75% of the population to make a real dent. (Several studies)

And trapping will be the better way.

I do quite a bit if coyote trapping. Hunters are shocked at where and how many coyotes are in their areas. Some of them think 1-2 because that's all they have seen. The are always lots more.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:25:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I have hunted pigs and deer for years.  I have camo and a tripo stand overlooking a 200 ac field.
Plan on using my 6.8 as my hunting gun, possibly gonna get a caller off of amazon (so which caller, under 200?)

View Quote

Good camo, Good facemask and always hunt the wind. They wind you faster than any other animal I've hunted.

As far as Ecallers go FoxPro is #1 in the business and will more than likely always will be. Made in America and have a great warranty
I personally have the Wildfire 2 from FoxPro It's a fantastic little caller right at your price point. (200)
If it were me I would order from AllPredatorCalls.com they will pre program 35 sounds of your choice for no extra. I did it this way bc im not good with all these .wav .zip .mp3 files and such.

http://www.allpredatorcalls.com/foxpro-wildfire-2-digital-caller-with-35-calls-wf2-tx9/

Hopefully this somewhat helps. Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:53:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Good camo, Good facemask and always hunt the wind. They wind you faster than any other animal I've hunted.

As far as Ecallers go FoxPro is #1 in the business and will more than likely always will be. Made in America and have a great warranty
I personally have the Wildfire 2 from FoxPro It's a fantastic little caller right at your price point. (200)
If it were me I would order from AllPredatorCalls.com they will pre program 35 sounds of your choice for no extra. I did it this way bc im not good with all these .wav .zip .mp3 files and such.

http://www.allpredatorcalls.com/foxpro-wildfire-2-digital-caller-with-35-calls-wf2-tx9/

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good advice, I appreciate it fellas

Ohh, and I picked up a Primos Alpha Dogg today from MidWay for 190$ once rebate comes in!!!
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:26:02 AM EDT
[#4]
FoxPro are most recommended but this one is good too I just ordered one from Midway Usa
ICOtec GC500 Electronic Predator Call  
$179.99 & SHIPS FREE
I just got my 2nd yote tonight used mouth calls. Are you in East TX, I come help.
Check wind direction and no unnecessary movement.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:08:37 AM EDT
[#5]
West TX, but if you are ever in the Abilene area holler
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:57:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Thank You , Will do,.............. someday.
Until then, shoot straight and be quick yote's don't give ya too much time often.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:39:48 AM EDT
[#7]
You'll be happy with the Alpha Dogg I crow hunted with a buddy last year. Thing is LOUD. Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:57:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wife went to Cooper HS.    Her folks also own a farm out by Lawn where I enjoy introducing yotes to lead & copper.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:16:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

But to have a noticeable effect on fawn recruitment you will need to remove better then 75% of the population to make a real dent. (Several studies)

I do quite a bit if coyote trapping. Hunters are shocked at where and how many coyotes are in their areas. Some of them think 1-2 because that's all they have seen. The are always lots more.

View Quote

coyotes will also breed more under that kind of pressure.  You'll have to keep it up.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:23:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Been having good luck with the ICOTec ($179.00) 500 & the MOJO decoy ($40.00)... bought both off amazon...

The sounds on the ICOtec are from western rivers, and the cottontail distress seems to be the ticket here in Indiana ....

Have called in 4 yotes & 1 bobcat in three days of hunting this yr.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:28:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Something I read years ago that illustrates how alert and wary coyotes are:

A leaf fell in the woods.

The eagle saw it.
 The bear smelled it.
 The deer heard it.

But only the coyote did all three........

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:57:36 AM EDT
[#12]
I am a novice, but I can only call in pups with the electronic call (foxpro).  I have more luck with a reed call for the older ones.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:55:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

coyotes will also breed more under that kind of pressure.  You'll have to keep it up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the above statement..
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 5:30:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Wife went to Cooper HS.    Her folks also own a farm out by Lawn where I enjoy introducing yotes to lead & copper.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sweet!  I hunt down near Bradshaw
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 1:25:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Find 'em

Shoot 'em

Forget 'em
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top