Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2015 7:13:41 PM EDT
So I've decided I want to start coyote hunting with the AR.   I'll start off here by saying I'm asking for "budget" recommendations haha I'm 22 and in  pharmacy school and tuition is almost 20, 000 alone.   Hopefully once im an actual pharmacist I'll be able to take some of the more pricey recommendations! I'd like to get whatever is necessary to hunt coyote at night for under 500 if possible...  I've read around and am seeing lots of different things.   First I know I need a spotlight.   I've been looking at lightforce ones, they seem reasonably priced.   Any better ideas?   Also, for optics, should I get an illuminated reticle scope? Would that plus the spotlight be all I need? Or would I even need an illuminated reticle?  I know night  vision optics are out of my price range.   I saw someone post about lasergenetics nd3.   Anyone have experience with that? Just trying to figure out what the best setup would be.  Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 4:28:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So I've decided I want to start coyote hunting with the AR.   I'll start off here by saying I'm asking for "budget" recommendations haha I'm 22 and in  pharmacy school and tuition is almost 20, 000 alone.   Hopefully once im an actual pharmacist I'll be able to take some of the more pricey recommendations! I'd like to get whatever is necessary to hunt coyote at night for under 500 if possible...  I've read around and am seeing lots of different things.   First I know I need a spotlight.   I've been looking at lightforce ones, they seem reasonably priced.   Any better ideas?   Also, for optics, should I get an illuminated reticle scope? Would that plus the spotlight be all I need? Or would I even need an illuminated reticle?  I know night  vision optics are out of my price range.   I saw someone post about lasergenetics nd3.   Anyone have experience with that? Just trying to figure out what the best setup would be.  Thanks in advance
View Quote

Just to clarify, you budget of $500 is for optics only?  Whats your current setup?  I hunt enough coyotes at night but i dont run any nightvision.  I simply use a quality optic along with a good moonlit night and some snowcover.  I used to use a leupold 3-9 vx-r with the illuminated red dot and i was pretty pleased with this setup for under $500 (scope only).  Alot of it depends on your caliber and your environment.  Tell us more about that and we can be more specific.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 4:40:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 6:43:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd like 500 to cover the optic and light / anything else if possible!  I have a m&p15 sport (budget haha)  and it currently has the lucid hd7 on it.   I'm in wv and it's very hilly and has lots of trees and anywhere I will be 100 yards would be the absolute max distance and I doubt it would even be that far.   We haven't had a single good snowfall this year yet so I can't rely on that for light!   Our woods are normally very dark...  I have a prostaff 4-12 x 40 on a  .30-06 and I'd be willing to put it on the AR if I thought I could use it and save the money for another optic.   But wv actually has a spotlight season, so I was going to buy one.   I can't imagine doing it without one at all!   And I may try during the day as well, I just definitely want to do night
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 6:53:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 7:18:42 PM EDT
[#5]
PSA Bushnell Deal

Add bushnell10 discount code and get $10 off. I also believe they have free shipping on optics up until midnight 1/4.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 7:47:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have never called in a coyote at night, only foxes. Coyotes howl like crazy and hang up out of range of the spotlight every time I have tried. Mornings and evenings have been great for me. But, if you insist on night hunting and don't want to spend the bucks for nightvision or thermal:

http://www.coyotelight.com/coyote-light/
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just definitely want to do night

I have never called in a coyote at night, only foxes. Coyotes howl like crazy and hang up out of range of the spotlight every time I have tried. Mornings and evenings have been great for me. But, if you insist on night hunting and don't want to spend the bucks for nightvision or thermal:

http://www.coyotelight.com/coyote-light/

Not to hijack the thread, but I was under the assumption that nighttime would have been best as well. Good info for sure. I've got 2 buddies along with me that's interested in hunting them too.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 8:00:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 9:47:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Just to clarify, you budget of $500 is for optics only?  Whats your current setup?  I hunt enough coyotes at night but i dont run any nightvision.  I simply use a quality optic along with a good moonlit night and some snowcover.  I used to use a leupold 3-9 vx-r with the illuminated red dot and i was pretty pleased with this setup for under $500 (scope only).  Alot of it depends on your caliber and your environment.  Tell us more about that and we can be more specific.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How'd you like that VX-R w/ red dot? Been thinking of trying one for predator hunting myself. Either that or the VX3 3.5-10x40 on an AR...
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 12:06:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hunting coyotes in the daytime is so much better than at night.
View Quote

x2
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 12:02:38 AM EDT
[#10]
If you're 100yrds and less you don't need a high powered scope, though that bushnell deal a few post up is not a bad deal. Do you like the Lucid you have mounted? If you do, I'd just get their magnifier, it's a 2x-5x.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 1:02:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I was under the impression that night was the time for coyotes.  Looks like I'll be trying during the day as well!  The lucid is solid but the magnifier is like 200 and along with the mount I've spent the amount I could get a decent scope for.. And I think I'd rather have a scope.  I've been thinking about replacing the red dot for a scope anyway.  But youre correct in saying a 4-12 x 40 is overkill.  Any recommendations on a fair priced smaller power scope with some sort of reticle illumination?   I'm gathering the dropping 400 on the coyote light / nd3 is not needed?
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 9:43:33 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm not sure if it depends where you live, but I've had much more success at night.  I'd say I get 3-4x as many coyotes at night. I do fairly well early mornings, but I've never been able to get get anything to come in the afternoon. I have got a few over bait just before dark, but never with a call. Here in MA artificial light is prohibited, so we're limited to moonlight and snow. 10 gauge shotgun with just the bead does the trick out to 60 yards or so at night.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 4:26:21 AM EDT
[#13]
vortex viper pst 2-10x44 for $459.99 is pretty good at cameralandny.com
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 1:03:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, again if possible id love to keep it under 500.  And I need to buy a spotlight.  And a scope mount ... So a scope that expensive wouldn't be m first choice.  But idk if I'll even be able to find a scope with illumination for that cheap
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 4:18:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Maybe a Primary Arms scope? Non illuminated but fits your price range nicely and have a good reputation around here.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 6:53:45 PM EDT
[#16]
This looks promising.  https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_4_16X44_Illuminated_Mil_Dot_Scope_p/pa416x.htm
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 8:45:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This looks promising.  https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_4_16X44_Illuminated_Mil_Dot_Scope_p/pa416x.htm
View Quote

I don't personally have any experience with this scope but from what I read all over this forum it seems like a really nice scope for the money and Marshall (owner of primaryarms) is an awesome guy to work with. If it fits your needs, don't hesitate to order.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 1:08:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:........ I'm gathering the dropping 400 on the coyote light / nd3 is not needed?
View Quote

Sorry, went off this post.  Never used PA stuff, but for the price, most guys here talk them up good.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 2:07:24 PM EDT
[#19]
+1 on Primary Arms. I put their 1-4X24, illuminated dot/german #4 reticle, scope on my .450 Bushmaster deer rifle. Loved it so much, put another on my yote rifle (5.56 DPMS AR). I also hunt yotes where it's all woods and long shots (75 yds or more) are pretty much non-existant. I only hunt yotes at night when we have snow cover & moonlight, so I don't use any light, it's not needed and will spook the yotes... but an illuminated reticle is a must. And too much magnification is a hindrance, not a help, when tracking fast moving yotes moving through trees. 4X or 6X is more than enough for woods hunting.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 8:25:42 PM EDT
[#20]
That's a good point.  Is this what you're referring to?https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_1_4X_24_Illuminated_Scope_PA14X_p/pa14x.htm
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 1:50:21 PM EDT
[#21]
I have had some success at night but daytime is where it's at. 90% of the yotes I have killed have been between 10am and noon. I'm in Parkersburg, WV. The point brought up earlier about them seeing the light is true. I have never called one in at night after I have shined a light. I always wait for a full moon to hunt so I can see them coming before I have to spot in the light for the shot.

My night set up is an eotech with a 3x magnifier and a green wicked light on my ar. I have found it easier to get on target in low light with the red dot than a scope. I would stick with your sight and maybe add a magnifier if you want and a nice light.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 10:35:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Well, again if possible id love to keep it under 500.  And I need to buy a spotlight.  And a scope mount ... So a scope that expensive wouldn't be m first choice.  But idk if I'll even be able to find a scope with illumination for that cheap
View Quote

Ok here is IMO, I am hunting yote's & fox,etc at night in TX, tried during day but nothing comes out, once dusk hits, it's on! Everything comes alive! So I am taking yote's under 100yds, I used 3x9x40 scopes, I have used 4x12AO but its a pain. I have a brand new weaver 2-7x32 compact with rings all new bought a month ago, it is perfect for AR, or your 30-06 and put the Nikon on the AR. I use my variables usually at 5-6 power with an ND3 subzero which turns any scope into a night vision of sorts(you still have an actual beam of green laser light projecting. ND3's come in different models and prices mine was $300. some places cheaper, but and ND1 is like $125.00 and does the same job out to 100yds depending on optics and (ND3 goes to 450yds again depending on optics used).
Sorry for rant but if interested in my weaver IM me and I know your on a budget so you could do this and have cash left over.
Compact scope on AR with ND laser designator would work great again this is my opinion.
Also I use on my Hornet 3x9 with barrel mt light, use moonlight to seeyote then hit the light vie pressure switch,they freeze in light I shoot!(light & switch $50.00 cost me and it works)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top