Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/1/2015 12:23:32 PM EDT
I just ordered some soupcan dog proof coon traps to use around my place.
What Kind Of Bait Has Worked Best For you?
Should I boil, dye, and wax these kind of trap?
Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 12:38:46 PM EDT
[#1]
cheap canned cat food
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 1:06:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
cheap canned cat food
View Quote

This or old fried chicken from the local KFC dumpster.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 1:19:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Any type of meat will attract.  I used to use chunks of road kill.  They are easy to trap compared to most other wild animals (except for skunks).
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 1:21:35 PM EDT
[#4]
raw bacon and peanut butter.

neither washes off easily.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 9:16:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Sardines.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:39:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't bother dying the dog proof traps, doesn't seem to matter to the coons.

As far as bait for coons, that will keep out other critters, I have had good success with marsh mellows and peanuts.  They like to eat the marsh mellows and the white seems to attract them.  I use in the shell peanuts as well, and often mi the two up around the trap.  Marsh ,mellows seem to work well inside the DP trap, I guess due to the bright color.  I put one under the release, then set it.  The coon will try to reach down and get it out, setting the trap off in the process.

I have used tuna, salmon etc., as well, but the peanuts and marsh mellows are not as messy, and can be bought at the dollar store for $1 a bag, which will bait a lot of traps for several days.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 6:25:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Sardines.
View Quote

Had good luck with these!
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 4:31:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sardines.
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top