Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2015 12:20:41 PM EDT
I just ordered some soupcan dog proof coon traps to use around my place.
What Kind Of Bait Has Worked Best For you?
Should I boil, dye, and wax these kind of trap?
Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 12:26:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Try some sardines
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 1:19:24 PM EDT
[#2]
empty tuna can works too. as long as it has tiny bits and some oil in it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 5:26:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I heard that marshmallows work just fine.  I set my trap but didn't have anything to bait it with but I left the trap set out anyway.  In the morning I had 2 raccoons in the trap.

I got rid of the coons and set the trap out again in a week or so, again with no bait.  In the morning I had another coon in the trap.

I had no idea that coons were so stupid, I always thought that they were pretty smart and crafty.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 5:52:22 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I heard that marshmallows work just fine.  I set my trap but didn't have anything to bait it with but I left the trap set out anyway.  In the morning I had 2 raccoons in the trap.

I got rid of the coons and set the trap out again in a week or so, again with no bait.  In the morning I had another coon in the trap.

I had no idea that coons were so stupid, I always thought that they were pretty smart and crafty.
View Quote
wow

Link Posted: 1/1/2015 6:40:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a cat.  So, I use what cat does not eat but raccoon or skunk will eat.

corn, vegetable, bread, etc.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 7:07:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Those damn masked bandits keep eating the corn we use for hogs. Now when the hogs aren't around we shoot the pests when they come in to eat.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 7:08:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Jolly Ranchers unwrapped.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 10:29:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Peanut butter
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 7:41:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Licorice will work good in those traps. Cut into small bits.

Jelly and marshmallows too.

Apples and peanut butter.

Take dry cat food and put in blender, add some oil and maybe some vanilla for a nice paste bait.

Raccoons will eat just about anything, but I tend to use sweet baits as it helps keep other animals from messing with the traps as much.

Link Posted: 1/3/2015 12:32:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Thank you for the help!
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 12:08:36 AM EDT
[#11]
I've got some leg traps that are dog proof I put marshmallows in it and then I put syrup all over them and down the side of the trap
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 1:12:40 AM EDT
[#12]
In my neighboorhood they like koi from the fish ponds - so try koi.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top