Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2014 10:13:49 PM EDT
My earlier topic was weak I know, maybe this will get some replies...
Since I'm now in TX, coyotes, whitetails,etc are smaller here. so I am changing some of my loads/calibers for predators.
My favorite little hornet, I am planning on using Nosler 45gr solid base soft pts, max charge h-110 for coyotes to coons  and in my AR I was messing with reduced loads 40, 50 & 55 gr due to shorter shot distances but none except 16gr of H-4895 with 55gr v-max would cycle in my AR.
Any thoughts?
What due you guys "go to" for your favorite coyote gun/loads?
Here in East TX woods hunting shots aren't far only 50yds max in my woods.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 10:16:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Calling predators at consistently 50 yards or less, I would use a shotgun.

But my "go to" caliber is the 17Rem.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 12:22:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Update just took my first coyote!! ironic right after my post , but I wasn't calling. just having a smoke and heard her crashing through the leaves about 25-30yds from my porch.  
Now I can add Federal 50gr HP 22 magnum to my list. Big coyote about 40lbs at least, beautiful coat. Going tomorrow to see how much rug w/head costs!!!
"God Bless Texas"!
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 2:10:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I haven't found the .17 or the .22 to be reliable enough to consistently put a coyote down.  They're effective for head shots, obviously, but as  I'm in the anti--headshot crowd, I don't think that's a viable option either.  I spent hours tracking 2 coyotes a few months back that I made good vital area hits on, and never found them.  The .17 has since been retired to squirrel hunting.  The .223 or (my favorite) the .22-250, are perfectly built for varmints IMO. I've shot bunches of coyotes with the 22-250 and they don't take a single step afterwards. Tiny little entry, no exit, perfect for pelts. Rigging the AR up for coyote this year, loaded with 23.5 gr. of H322 under a 60gr. VMAX.

Edit: Just realized LungBuster said .17 Rem, I'm refering to .17 HMR. Several people swore it would drop coyotes, the HMR does not, in my experience.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 2:16:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh, and within 50 yards, I'd say +1 for the 10 or 12 gauge. The 10 gauge with BB shot, or the Dead Coyote Hevi-shot for the 12 is devastating withing 50 yards. The Dead Coyote is pricey though.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 2:51:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 3:37:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So with a 60 gr. VMAX on coyotes you aren't getting any exits?  Have you tried it on foxes and bobcats too?  I'm looking for a bullet that will work well on all three without destroying the furs as I would like to sell them.
View Quote

Honestly. I'm not sure with the 223, this will be my first year with it for coyotes. I've always only used the 22-250 on varmints and have never had a pass through (20+ coyotes, a few red fox, and 1 bobcat).  I usually shoot 50-55gr. VMAX out of the 22-250, but they're moving at a bit more speed than they will be out of my carbine. I'm still going with the theory that the small rapidly expanding bullet will not exit with the 223, but I have not confirmed that yet. Another week and I'll be headed out with the 223.

I went heavier thinking I'll have a little more power with the lower velocity, we'll see how it works out. If it over penetrates, I'm going to try the Barnes varmint grenades. I've heard others have had great success, as they are designed to expend all of their energy immediately. I just really like the accuracy of the VMAX.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 4:11:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 4:40:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

So with a 60 gr. VMAX on coyotes you aren't getting any exits?  Have you tried it on foxes and bobcats too?  I'm looking for a bullet that will work well on all three without destroying the furs as I would like to sell them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I haven't found the .17 or the .22 to be reliable enough to consistently put a coyote down.  They're effective for head shots, obviously, but as  I'm in the anti--headshot crowd, I don't think that's a viable option either.  I spent hours tracking 2 coyotes a few months back that I made good vital area hits on, and never found them.  The .17 has since been retired to squirrel hunting.  The .223 or (my favorite) the .22-250, are perfectly built for varmints IMO. I've shot bunches of coyotes with the 22-250 and they don't take a single step afterwards. Tiny little entry, no exit, perfect for pelts. Rigging the AR up for coyote this year, loaded with 23.5 gr. of H322 under a 60gr. VMAX.

Edit: Just realized LungBuster said .17 Rem, I'm refering to .17 HMR. Several people swore it would drop coyotes, the HMR does not, in my experience.

You probably wont have good results on foxes and bobcats with 60gr v-max's.

You also have to realize that Prouty's Eastern coyote is probably double the size of the Az desert dog. So his results will probably vary from yours.

I don't have the same results as him with the .22-250. 50 gr vmax/38.5gr of H380...

Well,  wa gonna post a pic of a massive exit hole from my experience with the vmaxs but photobucket is sucking balls right now..... maybe later.

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 4:44:01 PM EDT
[#9]
If you are serious about saving fur, get a .17 or .20 or a shotgun.... The .20 would still be iffy on the foxes and cats. You'll kick yourself the 1st time you blow a $100 cat in half.....
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 4:49:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 5:01:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What about 22 Hornet?
View Quote

I've never shot one, so I can't say....

Here's the .22-250 exit hole finally:
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 6:02:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I agree with you guys about animal size changing, I already expected that, but was happily surprised by my first TX coyote the other night, good size and coat.

So Corporal_Choas a 22 hornet is great , in AZ varmints are smaller and the hornet is perfect IMO, with 1 exception, range. you are limited to 150yds or less depending on bullet and OAL , if you handload, most guns today for a hornet are mag fed and OAL is limited to 1.723 to 1.80(Ruger m77 I believe), mine is a cz 527 American, I can extend mine to 1.75 apprx length.

For now I am limited to my woods, I would love to breakout my 22-250 Ackley or use faster 223 loads, but not unless unless I find a neighbor who doesn't have cattle all over and doesn't mind me hunting there huge fields, I am stuck with close range woods hunting, hence my reducing loads, not to mention noise and extending barrel life.  My 22-250AI handload w/ 40gr Sie blitz or Nosler BT using RL 15 at over 4200fps, with 3/8in groups at 100 yds was fun, I also used to use in 200yd fly competition shoots at my old gun club. But using it all the time, I wouldn't have a barrel long.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 6:22:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 7:47:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Wow, that exit is devastating,  I've probably just been lucky on the smaller critters, if I think back I believe the bobcat and all but one fox were shot in the chest coming at me, hence the lack of an exit. I've shot a lot of dogs broadside, but they probably average around or better than 40# the last few years. Shot one 56# last year, and my neighbor shot one at 63# off the bait pile behind his house.

I may regret the first dog with the 60 grain, but figure I have an accurate load worked up, I might as well give it a try. Maybe go to a 40 gr. later and see if that works better. I'm really after the double, that's why I'm switching to the AR. I've had numerous opportunities but in these short fields or woods I've never been able to cycle my bolt and get back on target before the others are gone
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:44:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Corporal, FMJ's are illegal for hunting in most states, I'm not sure about AZ though. Check your regs before you spend any money.

Good luck on the double Prouty, they are satisfying, now if I could just get my triple.....

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 11:46:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Well I won the auction on gunbroker for my 6x45(6mm-223) complete AR upper today, should be here soon. Nice offering of a more wind bucking, light kicking round also usable for deer or hogs. Gone start with whatever bullets I have left from my 243AI, also should handle reduced loads better. My AR wont cycle most of my mild low noise very accurate reduced loads in 223. except 16grs H-4895 with 55gr v-max..4grs on trail boss behind a 55gr bullet is so quiet its like a subsonic 22 lr. But obviously wont cycle the bolt and is not very accurate. So I will see where the 6x45 takes me, anyone have experience with one for varmints??
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 8:38:50 AM EDT
[#17]
I use handloaded 60gr V Maxs out of my AR for coyotes. Puts them down.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 6:17:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

How are the exit holes with that load?
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 3:25:10 PM EDT
[#19]
I hunt with my sbr AR with hand loaded 55gr and 60gr ballistic tips
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 6:56:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not bad at all. I actually prefer the Sierra 60gr Varminter HP because they are more accurate in my rifle but they have been next to impossible to get lately.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top