Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/1/2014 3:06:53 PM EDT
I'm expecting dogs from 100-300 yards (300 being my max range in my current comfort zone)

Do you guys just use hold overs, or adjust your turrets?  When I shoot at the range I adjust the turrets so I can hold dead on. I have a note book with all my adjustments written down. Problem is that's all using pmc bronze.  I will be hunting with fed fusions so I'm not confident that my dope notebook will be accurate. I probably won't have access to the long range again until after I've already begun coyote hunting. What should I do, how do you guys deal with ballistics when your hunting dogs

Eta 62grs
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 5:52:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I hunt with a red dot zeroed at 50/200.  I would just hold top of back for that distance.  My opinion would be that holds would be a much better idea, since you may or may not have time to dial what you need in, or you may call in multiple at different ranges.  I made a cheat sheet taped to the stock of my deer rifle (I printed the reticule picture from the Strelok app), that may help as well.

Also, I live in the southeast where we generally dont get shots that far, so someone will be along shortly to correct me if I'm wrong
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 6:19:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I just use a holdover if I ever got a shot that far, which isn't very common down here. If it gets to the point where I have to dial anything I'd try and call it in closer.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 6:04:23 PM EDT
[#3]
There usually isn't time for ranging and dialing when calling predators.

Zero your rifle for MPBR for a 4" target or an inch high at 100 yards when you get the chance.

My 17Rem is zeroed for MPBR and I don't worry about range so long as the coyote in within 275 yards, I just put the crosshairs on it and squeeze...

I have a drop table for wind taped on my stock but I never look at it.... my average shot is about 100 yards.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 12/3/2014 9:00:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Great pic, LB! What kind of camera did you use? I'm curious how you were able to keep the coyote and the mountains both in fairly good focus.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 10:00:07 AM EDT
[#5]
My 223 is zeroed at 200.  Not common for me to dial in the field (usually not enough time for that in my area), but I have done it.  I normally range a few areas before I start calling.  Like another poster, just let it get closer.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 1:49:06 PM EDT
[#6]
They are smart hunters that are on the move

You can only fool them once

If you get a chance to shoot...you're gonna have to be quick

223 is pretty flat shooting
Best to know your dope with your hunting loads

I like 60gr VMAX handloads

Link Posted: 12/3/2014 2:18:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I looked up the ballistics of the round I'm using, I will use holdovers based of estimated guesses. Thanks for the insight guys
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 2:53:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
.......  I made a cheat sheet taped to the stock of my deer rifle (I printed the reticule picture from the Strelok app), that may help as well.
View Quote

I did the same.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 9:49:33 PM EDT
[#9]
My coyote 223 has a scope with bars calibrated for 223. Once I guess the range, I use the appropriate bar.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 11:40:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Great pic, LB! What kind of camera did you use? I'm curious how you were able to keep the coyote and the mountains both in fairly good focus.
View Quote

IPhone 5
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 11:42:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I looked up the ballistics of the round I'm using, I will use holdovers based of estimated guesses. Thanks for the insight guys
View Quote

Good luck and post pics...
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 5:44:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Sharp looking rifle.
Quoted:
There usually isn't time for ranging and dialing when calling predators.

Zero your rifle for MPBR for a 4" target or an inch high at 100 yards when you get the chance.

My 17Rem is zeroed for MPBR and I don't worry about range so long as the coyote in within 275 yards, I just put the crosshairs on it and squeeze...

I have a drop table for wind taped on my stock but I never look at it.... my average shot is about 100 yards.

Good luck.

<a href="http://s947.photobucket.com/user/Lungbuster_photos/media/73C16CB8-FF41-4F3C-9B7B-4A4501704DA1-59437-0000204196E38213_zps78b3cbc2.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad314/Lungbuster_photos/73C16CB8-FF41-4F3C-9B7B-4A4501704DA1-59437-0000204196E38213_zps78b3cbc2.jpg</a>
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/6/2014 6:18:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Thank you, it was my 1st try at a sponge job.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 10:26:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

What is the bipod?
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 12:14:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

What is the bipod?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is the bipod?

It's a Stoney Point, rapid pivot pod.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 8:10:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Zero at 200 hundred and hold over or under depending on range. Way faster than messing with turrets especially at those ranges.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:38:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Anyone here use red dots or is it all magnified glass?

Eta I have an aimpoint 2moa and a Nikon 4.5-16 duplex recticle
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:43:27 PM EDT
[#18]
On MY rifle zero'd at 200, I would be  2" high at 100 (no change to POA) or 7" low at 300. Your best bet would be maintaining a 200 yd POA/POI zero, and knowing the required hold to your maximum engagement range (300). This will vary from one type of ammo to another based on bullet weights, muzzle velocity (which is effected by barrel length, twist rate, and even individual characteristics of similar rifles) as well as the QC lot-to-lot and even round-to-round of a particular round.

Another tip is to make a range card- just a simple sketch of the area you are watching. identify recognizable items in this sector, like a specific rock, recognizable tree, contrasting area of vegetation or dirt, etc., then lase these items with a laser range finder, and annotate them on your card. Do this as soon as you get in position, and store the card on a small clipboard (so it won't blow away) where you can refer to it at a glance. When a target presents itself, consult the card to assist you in determining the approximate range to the target and engage accordingly. I like to take a 5x8 card, laminate it, and fill in the info with a grease pencil. It will hold up in weather, and you can just wipe it off when you are finished for re-use.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:49:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
On MY rifle zero'd at 200, I would be  2" high at 100 (no change to POA) or 7" low at 300. Your best bet would be maintaining a 200 yd POA/POI zero, and knowing the required hold to your maximum engagement range (300). This will vary from one type of ammo to another based on bullet weights, muzzle velocity (which is effected by barrel length, twist rate, and even individual characteristics of similar rifles) as well as the QC lot-to-lot and even round-to-round of a particular round.

Another tip is to make a range card- just a simple sketch of the area you are watching. identify recognizable items in this sector, like a specific rock, recognizable tree, contrasting area of vegetation or dirt, etc., then lase these items with a laser range finder, and annotate them on your card. Do this as soon as you get in position, and store the card on a small clipboard (so it won't blow away) where you can refer to it at a glance. When a target presents itself, consult the card to assist you in determining the approximate range to the target and engage accordingly. I like to take a 5x8 card, laminate it, and fill in the info with a grease pencil. It will hold up in weather, and you can just wipe it off when you are finished for re-use.
View Quote

Awesome idea.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:14:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

2MOA @ 300 yards is going to cover a lot of the dog.

I prefer a variable power scope, but usually keep it around 4x unless they're being still at longer ranges.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 6:47:51 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm just gonna roll with the 4.5-16x30 this weekend.  Expecting dogs out to 200 tops
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:44:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I use an EOTech on my AR. Most shots are not that far here in ohio.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top