Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2014 1:49:44 PM EDT
Hey guys.

I want a coyote specific rifle. I have a couple AR's that I can either reconfigure or I'd be open to buying a new upper if a great deal is out there.

Here are my current two ARs. The FDE is a PSA 16" upper and PSA lower ( Specs ). The black AR is a BCM upper on PSA lower. It's a 14.5" CHF mid length upper ( Specs ). It doesn't have a two piece rail or afg on it anymore, just has a midlength moe handguard.

Should I buy a scope for one of my current setups or get a new upper?  Maybe I should buy a bolt rifle?  I could probably spend $500-1000 at this time. If I was going to sell any of my current setups, I'd probably sell the BCM upper because I don't shoot either one of them enough to need a upper tier AR upper and the 14.5" was more for looks than purpose. Not to mention I have less in the entire FDE gun than the one BCM upper alone.

I live in a flat terrain area and would likely be hunting out across corn/bean fields.

I'm sure this discussion will have to continue beyond this post.  I appreciate the input.

Link Posted: 11/16/2014 9:30:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Either of those will do the job if accurate enough. Magnified optics are a must on a coyote rifle.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 3:09:02 PM EDT
[#2]
i supposed i could start with the optic on one of the current rifles and then upgrade to a better suited upper later.  

Any recommendations as far as optics and mounts go?

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 5:08:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I like 2.5-10 or 3-9 power scopes on AR-15's but a lot depends on how far you will shoot.  Me personally 350 yards would be about max range in my area.  If your going to shoot any further you really need the range time to ensure you can make hits further out.  I think your 16" AR with the carry handle would work great.  Take the carry handle off and put a scope on which you can easily take off and put back on.  I use a 2.5-10 X 40 MM AO scope on a RRA mount on my Colt H-Bar AR-15.  When I want to shoot iron sights I put the carry handle back on.  The RRA mount was $50-60 and has thumb screws just like the carry handle.   If I were looking at a new scope I'd look at Vortex Crossfire II or Viper.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 11:15:10 PM EDT
[#4]
You will be better off using the rifle with the 16 inch barrel.  I am sure that barrel is chrome lined but you should be able to accomplish 1 - 2 inch groups at 100 yards.

If you decide to buy an upper, keep it light.  You are going to do a lot of walking.  It is much more fun with a lighter rifle and a comfortable sling.

I have this set up on a rifle that I use for coyote hunting and I really like it....Leupold Mark AR MOD 1, 3-9x40 mildot with a Leupold Mark 2 IMS.  Nice scope and mount for the money.  I am learning to use the mil dot for range estimation, it's not as complicated as I thought.  I use Hornady 55 grain Z MAX, which is almost exactly the same as the Hornady 55 grain V MAX, but I get the Z MAX a little cheaper.

I bet they are fur'n up in your country.  You're going to have fun.  Enjoy.

EDIT: I'm sure that BCM upper is top of the line.  See which upper will give you the best group at 100 yards and use that one.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 12:11:27 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd echo pretty much what the others said.  I have 3 guns to take, depending on what the person I'm going with is using:

Basic M4 with a 1-4 optic and flashlight.  This is my nighttime rifle.

20" AR with a 3-9x42 scope and bipod.  Longer range daytime rifle.

12ga shotgun.  50yds or less, for brushy areas, when other shooter has a long rifle.

If you are hunting in the daytime, I'd just pop a scope of your choice on either upper, get a good call, and make sure you have your rifle zero'd.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 8:32:50 AM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Magnified optics are a must on a coyote rifle.
View Quote
Why? At the ranges most people would attempt to shoot coyotes with a 16" AR, it seems to me that irons would be fine.

If you can connect with magnified optics, you can connect with irons. And if you can't hit with irons, you're not likely to be able to hit with optics.

Link Posted: 11/18/2014 4:33:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Why? At the ranges most people would attempt to shoot coyotes with a 16" AR, it seems to me that irons would be fine.

If you can connect with magnified optics, you can connect with irons. And if you can't hit with irons, you're not likely to be able to hit with optics.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you can't see it you can't hit it.  And for a brown coyote standing in brown grass, maybe in a shadow when the sun isn't in the perfect place, there's a huge difference between looking through a magnified optic and looking through a 0.100" hole.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 5:09:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I have two rifles set up for hunting coyotes.  One is a RRA 16 inch with a stainless 1x8 barrel, free floated and a 3x9 Bushnell 4200 series scope.  I've got it sighted in to be dead on at 200 yds.  Rifle prefers 68 grain hollow points, it will also shoot the Hornady 60 grain Vmax just not as well.

The other one and the upper that gets to go out the most is a 16 inch Cardinal Arms 6.8spcII upper, with a Weaver 2.5x10 scope.  Have mostly been using 90 hollow points with this one.  

If you're going to be calling the coyotes in then your shots usually aren't long but every so often there will be one that hangs up out there and a scope allows you to take that shot and place it where it needs to be for a quick kill.

I use the same lower for these two uppers, I have a Geissele SSA in it and that way regardless of which upper I'm shooting the trigger feels the same.

Either of your rifles will work fine but I would suggest optics.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 7:20:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If you can't see it you can't hit it.  And for a brown coyote standing in brown grass, maybe in a shadow when the sun isn't in the perfect place, there's a huge difference between looking through a magnified optic and looking through a 0.100" hole.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That makes sense.Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 5:22:12 PM EDT
[#10]
As far as your rifle goes, keep it light and whatever you can shoot accurately to about 300 yards, youll be good. Theres a reason alot use shotguns. They do come close fairly often. And no you dont have to walk alot. Just depends on your hunting area. Sometimes you can drive a good dirt road and just walk over the hills to a wash or valley and be fine. If nothing there get up drive a mile or so and try again. Also depends on how much pressure the area gets called.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:13:15 PM EDT
[#11]
If I were you, I would build a new upper or change up one of your uppers. I would highly suggest going to a free float rail and a low profile gas block. Personally, I'm a fan on stainless, but any accurate shooting 16" will do. As for optics, I would find a 2.5-10 or 1-4 depending on your ranges.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:20:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If I were you, I would build a new upper or change up one of your uppers. I would highly suggest going to a free float rail and a low profile gas block. Personally, I'm a fan on stainless, but any accurate shooting 16" will do. As for optics, I would find a 2.5-10 or 1-4 depending on your ranges.
View Quote

This is the same advice I'd give
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 2:48:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks guys. I think I may just start buying parts to build a whole rifle. I'm starting to get a image in my head as to what I want.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 3:06:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Here's what in ended up with for an all purpose AR. It does everything from sit next to my bed at night to precision shooting. Noveske lower, vltor upper, NSR rail, Wilson barrel, leupold vx-r patrol optic in a larue mount. Shoots like a dream. If it was a dedicated coyote gun I would switch to a higher magnification optic such as a 2.5-10 though.

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 3:23:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Here's what in ended up with for an all purpose AR. It does everything from sit next to my bed at night to precision shooting. Noveske lower, vltor upper, NSR rail, Wilson barrel, leupold vx-r patrol optic in a larue mount. Shoots like a dream. If it was a dedicated coyote gun I would switch to a higher magnification optic such as a 2.5-10 though.

<a href="http://s1193.photobucket.com/user/BoxofRox873/media/20140208_145132_zps201f8b22.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa341/BoxofRox873/20140208_145132_zps201f8b22.jpg</a>
View Quote

What Wilson barrel and what rail did you use?
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:18:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Take your open sighted ar out at dusk or dawn and another one with a scope when most shots are made, you will change your tune in a hurry.
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 2:32:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s1193.photobucket.com/user/BoxofRox873/media/20140208_145132_zps201f8b22.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa341/BoxofRox873/20140208_145132_zps201f8b22.jpg</a>

This barrel
http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Wilson-Combat-Match-Grade-Barrel-556-NATO-Recon-Tactical-16-1-7-Twist-Stainless-Fluted/productinfo/TR%2D556RC16F%2D17/

This rail in 11"
http://www.shopnoveske.com/collections/parts/products/noveske-nsr-rail

I went ahead and bought a wilson bcg as well and this rifle will shoot surprising groups. And the NSR rail is very solid and very light, I'm a big fan.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 10:15:05 AM EDT
[#18]
What you have will work.  I would prefer a new gun over a new upper.  I would go with a bolt.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 10:38:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Ive started buying parts for a completely new AR.  

Link Posted: 12/4/2014 2:00:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Ive started buying parts for a completely new AR.  

View Quote

Welcome to the dark side

You can never have too many AR's
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 2:29:01 PM EDT
[#21]
This is good too:
12ga shotgun. 50yds or less, for brushy areas, when other shooter has a long rifle.
View Quote

If you're hunting in heavy brush, a good 12 gauge with yote choke and #4 buck can't be beat!
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:16:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
What you have will work.  I would prefer a new gun over a new upper.  I would go with a bolt.
View Quote

i would have to agree.

my go to coyote rifle is a howa 1500 rebarreled in .221 fireball
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 11:08:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Going with a whole new build.

Will be a 16" mid weight barrel mid length gas system. 1-6x optic. I used the build a gun tool here to put a picture together of the image I had in my head. It will look something like this....

Here are the key parts I have so far...

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 11:18:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 2:24:06 AM EDT
[#25]
My stand from a few days ago, my 5.56 yote rig...

This sharp tooth (about 2yo) was taken at about 70 yards...
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:58:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Hard to beat a good bolt gun for coyotes, this is my normal setup in .22-250

But I too am trying an AR this year, simple M&P Sport with a free float rail, scope, and sitting length bipod.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:26:02 PM EDT
[#27]
I've got a good idea of what I want to use for the rest of the parts.  

so far I have:

upper
upk
lower
lpk
ff rail
gas tube
brake
grip
scope mount
scope
trigger guard

I still need:

Barrel
Stock, buffer, extension & spring
gas block
two stage trigger
bcg

I cant decide what to do for a bolt carrier group.  The barrel I want to use, the company doesnt offer a matched bolt.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 7:32:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Update:

I've purchased the rest of my parts. Maybe I'll get some time to start assembly next weekend. Here's my parts list (at least what I can remember)

Upper:
Aero Precision Upper receiver
Upper receiver parts kit
Odin Works 16" mid SS .223 Wylde barrel
ALG defense single chamber brake
ALG defense 12" FF rail
Primary arms 1-6x ACSS scope
SWFA scope mount
AIM NiB / Black Nitride BCG

Lower:
Aero Precision
LPK from primary arms
LaRue grip
Geissele SSA
Magpul fixed MOE rifle stock

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 5:38:46 AM EDT
[#29]
^^ nice looking coyote and rifle
here is one i got with a friend down in Ohio Saturday

.  It would be quite a challenge to hunt em at night with irons.

Link Posted: 5/31/2015 11:28:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Update 5/31/15

Build is almost complete. Just waiting for my BCG. I've still got to level the scope and get it cinched down for good.  

Here is what I set out to build:

And here it is:

What do you all think?
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 3:23:55 PM EDT
[#31]
She's a beauty, should be perfect for you. Whats the optic?
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 6:20:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
She's a beauty, should be perfect for you. Whats the optic?
View Quote

Primary Arms 1-6x
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 5:19:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Update 9/26/15

Well after months and months I had the chance to get out and shoot/sight in my rifle. It ran flawlessly. At 100 yards it's tough for me to really see the 1" center of the target with a 6x scope. That being said, I think this group will do. (This was my best group at 100 yards).  

I should be able to take out some coyotes with this rifle I'd think.

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 12:11:24 AM EDT
[#34]
That group is GTG for yotes.  It's hard to shoot small groups with low power and a thick reticle, don't sweat it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top