Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2014 10:12:07 PM EDT
Hey guys I've been shooting for years and hunting on and off over the years as I just recently turned 18 and now I can finally start doing all this stuff my self. Any ways I have really started getting into hunting lately and for various reasons coyote hunting got my attention. I am an avid ar 15 shooter so I have a pretty good coyote rifle. I have done a good bit of reading and research and I havent gotten a chance to hunt them yet but I am going to try to this weekend for the first time on a corn field and some other farm land in Monroe, NC. I have a few questions if anyone has the time to just answer a few I would greatly appreciate it. Ill start by going over my current set up.

Gun: 16 Inch barrel M&P 15
Ammo: Winchester ballistic silvertip 55 grain ammo
Optics: Eotech 516 with an eotech g23 3x magnifier (Is this a good optic set up for coyote???)
Camo: got plenty of it and I plan to cover everything

Calls:    AP-2 cottontail distress
Heckln howler predator call by Knight and hale

decoys: Primos sit and spin electronic caller decoy

Note: I havent used any of this stuff actually hunting yet. Ive been practicing my calls and watching lots of videos to try and get it down well. If anyone has any experience with the heckln howler call please let me know as its kind of hard for me to get those long howls to come out well.

My primary questions are

1.) when calling should i start with my howler and then switch to my distress call every so often
2.) how long do i call for?
3.)  which call should I start with?
4.) How long should my howls be?
5.) If i see a coyote should I try to bring it in more with a distress or yip or should I just try to take the shot?
6.) will they howl back at me like how will i know if they are even in that location.

I plan to hunt in the early morning or late evening. Honestly at this point I'm looking for any advice I can get and I would greatly appreciate any wisdom you have to impart to me. Sorry for the long message and thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:57:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Gun: 16 Inch barrel M&P 15
Ammo: Winchester ballistic silvertip 55 grain ammo
Optics: Eotech 516 with an eotech g23 3x magnifier (Is this a good optic set up for coyote???

your set up will be based alot on the type of terrain you are expecting to call.  Thick cover,  most guys like a shotgun.  Big open spaces a scoped rifle, you should know what ranges you can confidently take shots at.  Keep in mind that coyotes move alot,  and at close range can be fast action.

Camo: got plenty of it and I plan to cover everything

Calls:    AP-2 cottontail distress
Heckln howler predator call by Knight and hale

decoys: Primos sit and spin electronic caller decoy

Just make sure the decoy is quiet if you are expecting them in close

Note: I havent used any of this stuff actually hunting yet. Ive been practicing my calls and watching lots of videos to try and get it down well. If anyone has any experience with the heckln howler call please let me know as its kind of hard for me to get those long howls to come out well.

My primary questions are

1.) when calling should i start with my howler and then switch to my distress call every so oft.   This time of year you can open your set with a howl,  but I focus on distress calls.  As it gets closer to mating season,  I try to use more vocalizations.  And in the spring after they have bred until summer when pups are out,  vocals and pup distress work great.

2.) how long do i call for? Depends on terrain and action,  Big open spaces where you can see for a long ways 20 minutes should be fine,  heavy cover or medium distances I will call for up to an hour.

3.)  which call should I start with? See my Previous answer

4.) How long should my howls be? Checkout some videos by top callers,  a howl doesn't last long,  and I wouldn't do more than a few howls on a set. Then wait for them to come in

5.) If i see a coyote should I try to bring it in more with a distress or yip or should I just try to take the shot? You need to watch their body language,  if they are coming,  let them come,  sometimes lip squeaking can bring them in closer if they hang up.  
Barking at them will sometimes stop them.

6.) will they howl back at me like how will i know if they are even in that location.
scouting will give you an idea if they are around.  Sometimes they will howl back, sometimes they won't,  it can be complicated.

I plan to hunt in the early morning or late evening. Honestly at this point I'm looking for any advice I can get and I would greatly appreciate any wisdom you have to impart to me. Sorry for the long message and thanks in advance.
View Quote

I will answer any questions you have,  but doing this from my phone sucks,  feel free to im me and I can answer from home.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:11:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Distress calls are what I use this time of year. Sit still. Don't get discouraged. Coyotes don't come in every set like on TV!
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:50:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Thank you very much that was very useful information. I'm currently just trying to accumulate as much knowledge as I can in order to become an effective predator hunter. I really appreciate all the advice guys thanks for taking time out of your day to help me out!
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:14:26 AM EDT
[#4]
The one biggest piece of advice I give is learn to use the wind.  It will make or break you as a coyote hunter.
Second as stated above don't get discouraged.  Here in mi the average is 20 sets to one coyote called.  
That being said the past couple years I have been successful a lot more than that,  but it took a lot of reading, practice and listening to those that knew more than me to get that successful. This past season I was as successful as the local guys that use dog's.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:17:40 AM EDT
[#5]
IN! Coyotes are bad at my house and I am trying to learn all I can right now.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 8:25:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Learning to use the wind.
Use Google maps,  Google earth or a plain ol map whatever,  find the area you want to hunt,  now check out the weather forecast for that day, what you are looking for is to be going into your area with either the wind in your face or a cross wind that won't blow your scent to where you think the coyotes are or may approach from.
when you set up you want to watch the downwind.
Watch the approach to the downwind.
that is where they will most likely be or come from, you need to be able to see it and shoot it before they get in your scent cone.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 1:46:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Following thread with interest....
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 9:51:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Stay away from coyote vocalizations, different howls mean different things. Just use distress sounds until you have some kills under your belt.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 5:03:51 PM EDT
[#9]
If you do not know one howl from the next the above is correct.
and vocalizations can make or break your calling.
and the correct vocalization varies from one time of year to the next.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 5:10:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Stay away from coyote vocalizations, different howls mean different things. Just use distress sounds until you have some kills under your belt.
View Quote

one is  a homing call   like where are you and they answer over here
and
one is hurry over i got some food ... lol

i dont know the other 198 sounds right off...
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 5:38:52 PM EDT
[#11]
lol, right
types of vocalizations....about as many as there are for women

Greeting howl/interrogation howl....here I am! is anyone else around?

Warning barks....stay away...usually warning barks mean you are busted.

Challenge howls/barks...."you don't want some of this" "I'll kick your ass" very aggressive, but can work on alpha males or alpha females in mating season or spring time.

Submissive...."come get some honey" or "ok please don't kick my ass" works good in mating season

Group howls..used most commonly as a locater.. you know those times you hear what sounds like a million of them going crazy usually at dusk or just after? that is what a locator or group howl is, its a communication saying here we are. usually if there are other packs in the area they will respond with the same sound "cool...we are over here"..and that sounds that sound that sounds like a big group...can be as few as 2-3 coyotes. really incredible how they do that

those are just a few, and like stated above...best used by someone that has some more experience knowing when, and why to use them, otherwise your more likely to keep them away.

Link Posted: 12/8/2014 11:38:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Rotty what would be best for winter?  I was thinking only distress calls. Last year I used to do a lot of coyote barks and howls after a long distress sequence and never saw a damn thing. This year 4 have been spotted just walking around the property or deer hunting.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 10:02:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Hunting in the evening i would recommend an interrogation howl or two then wait. .minimum of 10 minutes.  Avoid barks.  If they are going to come in to an interrogation howl they will most likely come in slow and cautious to see who is in the neighborhood.
Watch the edges if hunting fields,  they often will come to the field edge and  look for the new guy
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 1:25:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I was thinking of shooting a raccoon and sitting over it...

Would you let the smell attract the yotes or would you add a call into the mix (and which call)?
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 2:56:49 PM EDT
[#15]
If there are coyotes in the area,  and if they feel safe coming to the carcass baiting can work where legal.  But the first 2 conditions need to be met, adding sounds can work,  distress of some sort should work ok. Establishing a bait sure to pattern them off of will work if you anchor the bait,  dint let them drag it off, keep em coming back.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:11:34 PM EDT
[#16]
What kind of call to attract them to bait?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:58:26 AM EDT
[#17]
there isn't a set call for use on baiting, that I'm aware of, maybe an animal fight? coyote/fox distress, or you could use a regular rabbit distress.
If i was using bait I most likely wouldn't use a call, or if i did would probably stick to what i mentioned above..
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:49:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Bought a primos caller and checked out their you tube videos. Pretty good info.....
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 8:00:51 AM EDT
[#19]
When I am calling, I strictly use cottontail or jackrabbit distress. I have used howls but I am way more successful with rabbit calls. As already mentioned, howling depends on the time of year, weather, population in the area, everything comes into play whether you will scare them off or bring them in.

When I call, I call for a maximum of 15-20 minutes in an area. in my experience, if they dont come in by 15-20 min then they arent coming MOST of the time. This rule applies for young 'stupid' coyotes. the old big ones are old and big for a reason, they are the smartest animal in the woods and hard to trick.

Stands can vary.  Im not a long range shooter so anything over 200 yds is not for me when it comes to hunting. Where I hunt in the hill country/south Texas, most of my hunting is in thick brush and mesquite. I often hunt with a shotgun. I have on multiple occasions had a young coyote come sprinting out of the brush less than 10 yds during my first call string. either iron sights/aimpoint or a shotgun is your only hope here because the second they bust out and see you they turn and run just as fast as they appeared.

Keep the wind in mind. this was already mentioned as well. Remember, older experienced coyotes will circle the area before coming in further to investigate. watch these avenues. if possible, put a body of water, large open field (in daytime, I have never seen a healthy coyote expose himself in that big of an open space) or another obstacle behind you and downwind so they dont get in the cone.

Unless you are going to try for them at over 2-300 yds, dont overthink your weapon. Carry whatever rifle you want. I use a non-free floated 14.5" M4gery with an ACOG or aimpoint that I use for literally everything...hunting, home defense, duty rifle etc.

Have fun with it! good luck
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top