Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2014 5:03:39 PM EDT
Looking for a bolt gun in 223.  Been eyeing the CZ 527 American, but question whether I should step up to the Varmint model.  I like the idea of having something light enough for walking around, and shooting offhand recretationally, as long as it still retains the needed accuracy for shooting prairie dogs at extended ranges.  I handload and am able to develop loads for whatever I end up with.  Looking to achieve accuracy between 1/2 and 3/4 moa, but close to 1/2.

I'm also entertaining the idea of an AR upper, but I've been hankering for a 223 caliber bolt gun for a while, so my heart is kind of set on that

Is the CZ 527 American capable of this, or should I go with the Varmint?
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 10:39:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Most guys a know that shoot prairie dogs sit at a bench and blast away at them. For this type of pest removal I would go bull barrel. If you walk around a lot then go with a sporter weight barrel. Really up to your hunting style.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:05:05 AM EDT
[#2]
My PD set-up's include a re-barreled Savage 12BVSS in .223, Model 700 in 22-250, BM Varmint AR in .223, .Ruger 17HMR and a Savage HB in .308...yea I take them all with at least 500 rounds per rifle..

Most if not all shots are taken off sandbags and a bench.  Usually start with the .17 on the early shots then the AR for some quick action.  After that they tend to drop in their holes and are a little more cautious.  So hence the other rifles get to come out and play!  Really like the .308 for hail mary shots out to 600 yards.

I really like the Savage line of rifles as of lately and have been impressed with the accuracy and quality.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:23:31 PM EDT
[#3]
My vote is for an 18" or 20" AR upper with an accurate SS barrel (WOA, Lothar Walther, Black Hole Weaponry, etc.). I was in AZ last month with my 18" SPR, smoking prairie dogs out past 350 yards using 55gr Sierra BlitzKing loads from Australian Outback ammo. I shot from the prone off my bipod, off shooting sticks from the kneeling, and from an Idleback chair.

If you want to go even further with the .223 loads, I'd look into some of the heavier projectiles, which will have a better BC than the 55gr stuff. My furthest kill of that trip was 372 yards, and the 55 grainer still about blew the dog apart. However, it's windy out in desert and grass lands of Northern AZ, so that played a factory often; and caused me to miss several shots at 400+ yards. A heavier projectile with better wind resistance would have helped me connect on the longer shots.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:29:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My vote is for an 18" or 20" AR upper with an accurate SS barrel (WOA, Lothar Walther, Black Hole Weaponry, etc.). I was in AZ last month with my 18" SPR, smoking prairie dogs out past 350 yards using 55gr Sierra BlitzKing loads from Australian Outback ammo. I shot from the prone off my bipod, off shooting sticks from the kneeling, and from an Idleback chair.

If you want to go even further with the .223 loads, I'd look into some of the heavier projectiles, which will have a better BC than the 55gr stuff. My furthest kill of that trip was 372 yards, and the 55 grainer still about blew the dog apart. However, it's windy out in desert and grass lands of Northern AZ, so that played a factory often; and caused me to miss several shots at 400+ yards. A heavier projectile with better wind resistance would have helped me connect on the longer shots.

View Quote

Where in AZ did you go? I built an AR for P-dogs, now I am looking for somewhere to go.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:04:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I use a 16" BCM Sam-r upper.  Works for me.  I like that it has a heavier barrel.  I use my tikka t3 lite in 270win, but get frustrated at how fast the barrel heats up.  Go with a non- light weight barrel.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:17:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Where in AZ did you go? I built an AR for P-dogs, now I am looking for somewhere to go.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Flagstaff area.

First time being there, it was beautiful. I would move there in a heartbeat if I could find some land and a nice cabin, etc.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:21:05 AM EDT
[#7]
I would go with the Varmint since most if not all of your shooting will be done from a bench or at least a place where you guys set up(not walking around like groundhogs) I have a 527 Varmint in 17 Remington and it doesn't feel as heavy as the traditional Remington/Ruger varminters, I think the standard American would give you the accuracy you need(I have a 204 and 222) but after a few minutes in a good town that barrel will be smoking hot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top