Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2014 3:52:49 PM EDT
I don't understand this rule that is in the Colorado small game regulations:

2. Use of electronic calls is not allowed to hunt small game.
(Electronic calls are legal to hunt furbearers.)
View Quote

What does it mean "furbearers?" Is that someone with a special fur-taking permit? If I am hunting coyotes, can I use electronic calls? Do I need to be recognized in some way as a furtaker?
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 3:56:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Commonly furbearers are cat (Not domestic ), dogs( coyotes and fox, I suppose wolves too) and raccoons. At least where I hunt. Most states require a small game license to hunt furbearers. Some states also require seals for some furbearers.
YMMV
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 3:58:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. So furbearer is just another name for varmints such as coyotes and fox. Got it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:07:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, but varmints that you can make money on.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:07:52 PM EDT
[#4]
This pamphlet says

Legal for furbearers:
1. Any rifle, handgun, shotgun, handheld bow or crossbow or live traps — limited to cage or box traps.
2. Use of bait. It must be made solely of plants or animals. Bait cannot contain metal, glass, porcelain, plastic, cardboard or paper. Wild- life used as bait can be carcasses or parts of legally taken furbearers, carp, shad, white and longnose suckers, and inedible parts of legally obtained game mammals, birds or game fish.
3. Use of electronic calls.

Looks like I can bait them too. I am thinking I could put a dead rabbit or pile of animal guts out in the field and wait for them to come in, and maybe use a squealing rabbit call at the same time.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:29:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds right, there may be certain restrictions during other game seasons regarding caliber though, make sure you check that too. We aren't allowed to hunt over bait here but each state has its own regs about that.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:34:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks like if I am hunting east of highway 25, I can't use a caliber over .24 during deer/elk season if I am hunting small game.

By the way, thank you for the info!
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:40:55 PM EDT
[#7]
No worries. Happy hunting.
Post some pics when you get em.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 12:21:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like if I am hunting east of highway 25, I can't use a caliber over .24 during deer/elk season if I am hunting small game.
View Quote

I'm gonna re read the brochure. I think if you have a small game lic you are able to use .24 and larger.

edit:   It is illegal to hunt game birds, small-game mammals or furbearers with a centerfire rifle larger than .23 caliber in regular rifle deer and elk seasons west of I-25, unless
you have an unfilled deer or elk license for the season you are hunting. A small-game license is required.

Shoot them an email to be sure
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 12:25:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks. So furbearer is just another name for varmints such as coyotes and fox. Got it.
View Quote

Furbearer is probably specifically defined by law.  Try looking for it in your state regs.  It's usually the animals that people hunt and trap for the fur.

In Ohio, you need a fur taker's (trapping) license to take furbearers, and although coyotes are defined as furbearers, they're excluded from all of the rules for furbearers and you only need a hunting license to go after them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top