Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2014 1:56:00 PM EDT
Hello there, I went out with a buddy last weekend to try and kill off some of the coyotes that have been eating some of my g/f's parents chickens. I have never used electronic game calls or hunted yotes before and was disappointed that we didn't get anything. I was just wondering what most people who consistantly shoot yotes use for equipment. I had a FoxPro Scorpion (?) e-caller using cottentail distress and coyote pup distress calls, but it wasn't until I used a coyote locater call that we got a response. (just one, a short howl and 2  yips no sightings). I had several AR's with me, one for daylight use, and another with a Sightmark Photon Nightvision scope on that i was kinda disappointed in since i had a hard time focusing at longer distances. We did had a blind set up on top of a hill but later switched to sitting in my blazer further away once it started getting darker. Am i doing something wrong, ik there are yotes around due to the loss of chickens and you can hear them at night on occasion. Do i need to get better equipment for night time shooting? any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 2:22:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Those things are super slick. Try leg traps and snares around the coop, they will be back.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 3:39:17 PM EDT
[#2]
we want to stay away from those b/c their dogs are next to the coop, as well as all their outdoor barn cats. dont want anyone of them to be collateral damage.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 9:40:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
we want to stay away from those b/c their dogs are next to the coop, as well as all their outdoor barn cats. dont want anyone of them to be collateral damage.
View Quote

Hodgi... why did you not invite me?  i can help.  and is it just coyotes or are there raccoons, foxes, etc too?
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 9:04:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Hodgi... why did you not invite me?  i can help.  and is it just coyotes or are there raccoons, foxes, etc too?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol. ive never seen fox in their area. and there have been sightings of yotes unbelieveably close to the coop, like 10-20 ft away, then run off into the tall prairie grass down the hill into the woods when spooked. also idk if coons would get that close during the day. at night the chickens are all inside.
ive been thinkin of getting some good nighvision binoculars to spot them further away, as well as a better nv scope. what is like the normal thing to do when hunting them? sit in a blind, tree stand, truck off in the distance?
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:54:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hello there, I went out with a buddy last weekend to try and kill off some of the coyotes that have been eating some of my g/f's parents chickens. I have never used electronic game calls or hunted yotes before and was disappointed that we didn't get anything. I was just wondering what most people who consistantly shoot yotes use for equipment. I had a FoxPro Scorpion (?) e-caller using cottentail distress and coyote pup distress calls, but it wasn't until I used a coyote locater call that we got a response. (just one, a short howl and 2  yips no sightings). I had several AR's with me, one for daylight use, and another with a Sightmark Photon Nightvision scope on that i was kinda disappointed in since i had a hard time focusing at longer distances. We did had a blind set up on top of a hill but later switched to sitting in my blazer further away once it started getting darker. Am i doing something wrong, ik there are yotes around due to the loss of chickens and you can hear them at night on occasion. Do i need to get better equipment for night time shooting? any help is appreciated. Thanks!
View Quote

There's more to predator hunting than turning on a caller and expecting everything to come running in. You've probably already educated the coyotes you were trying to call. You should try and get a local trapper or predator hunter to help if you really want the problem fixed. If you just want to get in to predator hunting there's other ways to get a little knowledge on the subject before you go out again.....
Predatormasters.com is a website geared towards beginner predator hunters..

And from what I read about the chickens I doubt it is coyotes causing the problem anyways.... maybe set up a trail cam and see who the culprit is. I've been doing ADC work for a long time, and most folks are shocked to see what is really killing/harassing their chickens/turkeys/sheep/cattle......

good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top