Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2014 1:34:16 PM EDT
I've been to New Mexico on several occasions over the years to hunt cottontails and Jacks in the Alamogordo/Otero County area. The hunting has always been terrific! I'm talking about encountering a rabbit every couple of minutes as they scurry from one bush to another.

About 4 years ago however, another trip netted virtually nothing. I think I saw 3 or 4 rabbits in like 4 days of hunting! It was the weirdest damn thing and made for an awful trip. A recent call to NM fish and game suggested a drought may have coincided with that trip?

I'm hoping there may be a member from the Otero/Alamogordo area who could weight in with a current rabbit population report, before I fly all the way across the country just to be disappointed again, if it's still bad.

Anyone have any information? Much appreciated
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 5:59:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm about a hr away and in the last few months we have had a ton of rain ... in for updates and ill ask some people I know there on fb and see what they say
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 6:19:50 PM EDT
[#2]
That would be awesome! thank you
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 12:35:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I am up in Albuquerque so a couple of hours away. But we have seen an increase in rabbit this year as well. It has been a while since I have gone during the day and we stopped going at night about an year ago.

MAHA
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:56:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I think rabbit populations are boom and bust?
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 12:54:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am up in Albuquerque so a couple of hours away. But we have seen an increase in rabbit this year as well. It has been a while since I have gone during the day and we stopped going at night about an year ago.

MAHA
View Quote

That's encouraging. We would always go afternoon (no need to wake up early) then keeping shooting until we lost the light. No issues. Any other NM residents out there who partake?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top