Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2014 11:38:42 PM EDT
I have shot many coyotes with my 223 but they always run before falling over.  During  the winter  I dont mind them running since the snow makes it easy to locate the coyote after the shot.  Typically I only hunt coyotes in the snow but  tonight  while outside I seen a coyote circling in on my chicken coops.  I came inside and retrieved my 223.  Easy shot at 200 yards, pulled the trigger,  he yelped and ran.  My boy and I took off after him but the terrain is thick and many steep hills surround us.  We finally seen him in the distance but he was still on the move a couple of hills over.  I am sure he will lay down somewhere and die.  

What bullet are you guys using that gives decent accuracy  and maybe drops them in there tracks?
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 3:13:11 AM EDT
[#1]
A friend shoots over a hundred a year with VMAXs.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 3:20:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 10:22:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have shot many coyotes with my 223 but they always run before falling over.  During  the winter  I dont mind them running since the snow makes it easy to locate the coyote after the shot.  Typically I only hunt coyotes in the snow but  tonight  while outside I seen a coyote circling in on my chicken coops.  I came inside and retrieved my 223.  Easy shot at 200 yards, pulled the trigger,  he yelped and ran.  My boy and I took off after him but the terrain is thick and many steep hills surround us.  We finally seen him in the distance but he was still on the move a couple of hills over.  I am sure he will lay down somewhere and die.  

What bullet are you guys using that gives decent accuracy  and maybe drops them in there tracks?
View Quote

Sounds to me more like a bullet placement problem. A .223 in the heart/lungs will drop a coyote.

My bullet of choice is 25gr bergers out of a 17Rem.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 11:01:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Sounds to me more like a bullet placement problem. A .223 in the heart/lungs will drop a coyote.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i would say the same thing but i have skinned a many coyotes with double lung shots and they all rean around 600 yards or so..i am not using a great bullet by any means..The only way i have dropped on sight is with a head shot.  I am currently using  hornady 55 grain fmj

Link Posted: 8/15/2014 11:16:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

i would say the same thing but i have skinned a many coyotes with double lung shots and they all run around 600 yards or so..i am not using a great bullet by any means..The only way i have dropped on sight is with a head shot.  I am currently using  hornady 55 grain fmj

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

i would say the same thing but i have skinned a many coyotes with double lung shots and they all run around 600 yards or so..i am not using a great bullet by any means..The only way i have dropped on sight is with a head shot.  I am currently using  hornady 55 grain fmj

fmj is WHY they  run
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 1:55:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

fmj is WHY they  run
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

fmj is WHY they  run

hence the reason this thread exist
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 1:54:16 AM EDT
[#7]
nosler varmageddon is what you want
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 12:36:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I prefer nosler ballistic tips myself, 55s and 60s shoot great in my AR.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 6:50:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I like the 60 VMax or 60 Sierra Varminter hollow point.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 7:22:26 PM EDT
[#10]
40 or 50 grain V-Max  = Dead Right There

usually with a fist sized hole
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 7:29:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks guys for all the replies.  I am going to start with the  varmageddon and the Z max bullets and see what happens.  I have run the vmax in the past and never could get them to group.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 7:41:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I haven't gotten good groups out of VMAXs either

I have killed a ton of things with Sierra Blitzkings, and found them to be super accurate.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 7:53:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I haven't gotten good groups out of VMAXs either

I have killed a ton of things with Sierra Blitzkings, and found them to be super accurate.
View Quote

I've shot groups in the .2s with them, using off brand barrels.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 3:39:24 AM EDT
[#14]
OP, you need to change to some sort of soft point or varmint tipped bullet asap.

FMJ is the worst possible choice for shooting living things.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 3:54:01 PM EDT
[#15]
I was planning to use the Sierra 65 gr BTSP at around 3000 f/s ... I'm surprised no one is using them.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 7:20:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Honestly, almost any bullet will do it. But fmj is at the bottom of the list. I use 60gr vmax and it does a hell of a job and is very accurate in my rifle.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 11:17:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I was planning to use the Sierra 65 gr BTSP at around 3000 f/s ... I'm surprised no one is using them.
View Quote

This is the bullet you're looking for. It is BRUTAL.

I know these pics aren't coyotes but I've shot rabbits with just about every .224 projectile available and I've never seen damage like what 65 gamekings deliver.

Entered at the right knee traveling length-wise down the body, spilled the intestines, blew the heart and lungs clean out, shattered the spine and left shoulder on exit and damn near took the front half off.

Hit the spine at the shoulder blades.

One of the online reviews I read before trying this bullet said "it unhinges critters".  I think that is an excellent way to describe it.
My load is moving 2935 fps and holds three quarter minute vertical dispersion at 600 yards on a good day.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 7:57:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Nosler Ballistic tips and Hornady V-Max work best for me.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:24:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the report, brewsky101. Sounds like that bullet should work pretty well, so long as I don't want the pelts!
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:56:02 PM EDT
[#20]
When I used to coyote hunt (I still would like to, just don't have time) I found the Winchester 40 or 45 grain JHPs were too light and explosive.  The Hornady 60 gr VMAX made large explosive wounds.  If you don't want the fur, I'd say they are a good choice.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:16:47 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm taking some of Australian Outback Ammo's 55gr Sierra BlitzKings out next week in AZ.

I smacked a ground hog at 205 yards last Thursday, and he was DRT. I'm hoping for similar results on coyotes and prairie dogs.

Link Posted: 9/5/2014 7:59:17 PM EDT
[#22]
I've killed 1 coyote ever. Did it with bulk pack federal .22 LR.
The coyote yelped jumped and laid down dead. Shot right in the lungs. DRT.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 8:23:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Another vote for 60 gr V-max.  Usually DRT or pretty close there after.  I shot one this summer with a 68gr HPBT since that was what I had loaded at the time.  Through and through and the yote yelped and hobbled off into the woods to die.  Still killed it, but not as quickly as the 60gr V-max.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 9:48:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Never shot a dog but I carry 55 gr v max. Best groups I've ever printed
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:23:33 PM EDT
[#25]
I went to WinchesterX 64gr power points and have not had a spinner or runner since and no large holes but I don't keep them.  55gr federal vmax and front shoulder bone = spash and they spin go down lay there a minute get back up and run off same thing with fmj.  Good bullet + good shot = dead dog.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 8:52:41 PM EDT
[#26]
I've only shot 1 with a .223 and it's the only one that froze and went feet up. It was with 55gr vmax. All my others ran no further than 50yds with my 6.5CM with 140gr Berger vlds hunters. The 55gr also left a much smaller exit wound than the creedmoor does
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 1:57:02 AM EDT
[#27]
65 grain sierra gameking is the best bullet I've used for 5.56. They shoot about half an inch at 100 yds out of my colt 14.5 socom m4 barrel. Shot a deer a few weeks ago on a depredation permit and it is was a single shot and never ran an inch. Really an amazingly accurate bullet.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:06:23 PM EDT
[#28]
What powder are you loading?

Quoted:
65 grain sierra gameking is the best bullet I've used for 5.56. They shoot about half an inch at 100 yds out of my colt 14.5 socom m4 barrel. Shot a deer a few weeks ago on a depredation permit and it is was a single shot and never ran an inch. Really an amazingly accurate bullet.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:53:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I use W748. It's an old powder that is heat sensitive apparently, but I've had great success with it. It meters great and generally always produces good groups. I've used a lot of them (varget, H4895, H322, tac, etc.) and found I like 748 the best. I use once fired LC brass for my hunting loads.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 11:12:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Thanks,

I have a bunch of those bullets but haven't loaded yet.  I have a couple thousand LC brass that I am prepping.

Quoted:

I use W748. It's an old powder that is heat sensitive apparently, but I've had great success with it. It meters great and generally always produces good groups. I've used a lot of them (varget, H4895, H322, tac, etc.) and found I like 748 the best. I use once fired LC brass for my hunting loads.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:13:25 PM EDT
[#31]
I've killed truckloads of coyotes and other predators with .223 55gr Rem PSPs and 55gr VMAX. Those are good rounds, and accurate out to normal predator hunting distances, which for me is 300m max. Most of the time I shoot them inside of 100m, and even then it's typically inside of 50m.

If you're fur hunting, use something heavier, such as a 69gr SMK - those work well for me when I've trying to save the pelts. If you are really serious about saving fur, then you need to consider a different caliber.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:18:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Another vote for the 55gr VMAX .223 here. Or if you want them to look like the rabbit on the previous page, 155gr AMAX .308s will do the job.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top