Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/13/2014 12:04:20 PM EDT

live trap

I've had good success with small cheap cans of cat food, puncture a bunch of holes in the top and secure it behind the trip-plate with wire.

They  struggle to get to the catfood that's inside the can and forget all about being careful.

What do you use ?

thanks
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 12:15:10 PM EDT
[#1]
rodents, racoons, possums, skunks, all of them seem to like and are attracted to bacon or peanut butter.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 1:23:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
rodents, racoons, possums, skunks, all of them seem to like and are attracted to bacon or peanut butter.
View Quote

I haven't trapped in a long time (i.e. when I was a kid) but, ...

Yup. Peanut butter and bacon grease worked well. I like bait that can't be snatched and eaten elsewhere. Something your prey has to work at and stay on the set longer. Besides a jar of PB or bacon grease is cheap, small and easy to transport when running a line on foot.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 4:31:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Caven's Moonshine

ETA: Bacon, and peanut butter work well also.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 4:55:22 PM EDT
[#4]
My favorite raccoon baits are sweet baits like marshmallows.  Other animals tend to stay away from them, which is exactly the point!
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 5:49:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I've never had much luck with marshmallows,  but I know others have
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 6:00:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Peanut butter works for me...
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 2:13:12 AM EDT
[#7]
the cheapest canned tuna you can buy

that is what dad taught me, and he kills about a dozen a year.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:46:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I get lots of coons and possums using chicken scraps and bones left over from dinner.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 8:41:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Whole corn, cracked corn, and apples or pears is what I feed "mine". Started putting out corn for deer but all I get is raccoon. Set up a separate shooting lane about 50 yds from and out of line of sight (appease game wardens) to harvest the chicken killing bastards when I need a murder fix bad enough to clean a nasty as raccoon (gotta eat what u kill). Mostly though, I just feed them hoping to draw in deer and keep them out of my chicken coop.
Shooting lane is about 50yds. from high security chicken prison. If I ever catch one trying (yeah right, killing) to get my chickens, it will be coon Armageddon here. Figure 8-10 come to the buffet every night. Wish they weren't such a PIA to clean.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 12:00:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I was told that marshmallows and fish oil work well, this is what I am going to try
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 2:19:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Marshmallows seem to keep non-targets out of the trap.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 4:44:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I have had bad luck with marshmellows and the mice eating them or just packing them out of the live trap.  I came up with a better method and still able to use marshmellows and that was to connect a couple of MM on a small wire and let them hang from the top frame of the trap.  Worked for me.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 10:24:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I've used a varity of lures from hawbakers or dobbins. There are a bunch of good items but as far as grocery store items, ive used marshmellows, eggs, sardines, cat food, dead birds, pretty much anything. But I mostly use coilsprings and long springs so haven't done much  cage trapping.

Also a half ear of corn works great or even grain for cattle. If you live on a farm. We always had problems with coons getting into cattle feeds same with dog food/cat foot.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:43:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Being we usually run a lot of traps over the years we keep it simple and effective, we take a empty gallon milk jug and fill it almost full of the CHEAPEST hard cat food we can find, then add just enough fish oil to coat the cat food and shake it up.  You just want enough fish oil added to make the cat food have a wet look...

That way you have a easy way to dispense it without contaminating everything else and a single gallon mixed up is enough to bait 70-100 traps.  

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:41:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Dad and grandpa taught me to use tuna fish! In a live trap it works pretty well!
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 11:26:40 AM EDT
[#16]
marshmallows work best for me in the dog safe traps. arm traps getem every time.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 2:07:55 AM EDT
[#17]
I wire a left over fried chicken bone to the back of the trap. Best bait I've found so far and they always set the trap off trying to pry that chicken bone off the back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top