Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2014 5:39:45 PM EDT
We have coyotes pretty bad this year on our deer lease.  We set out pretty seriously in mid January to start thinning them out prior to the fawns dropping.  We have been hunting day and night, and we have NV for our night outings as well.  

We have been doing pretty well, and I must admit this is some of the most exciting hunting I have ever done.  However I must say, Our successful setups are always backwards, and I am hoping someone can tell me why.  Don't get me wrong, lucky is better than good any day and I take success in any fashion.  I just wonder if we could do better if someone can point out what we are doing wrong...

Once we locate them with howls, we move in and setup much like we do for deer.  We try to be 100-150 yards or so from the creeks, and the timber fingers coming out of the bottoms.  We use ladders, existing deer stands, and sometimes we can sit on top of a hill over looking the approach area.  Here is the catch though, everytime we are successful, the approach area is an open area (long road, pasture) directly down wind.  If we setup with the wind in our face and the like the way everyone says to do, we don't see crap.  :)  

Why is this?  Is this because we hunt tighter cover than the guys out west that can see four miles from a hill side?  Is this just becauase we play the odds that coyotes will try to cut our wind?
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 11:32:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I hunt deer with the wind in my face, and yotes  with the wind to my back.   I haven't killed a yote yet though
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 8:51:52 AM EDT
[#2]
If you are hunting coyotes looking up wind your doing it wrong,don't know who told you to do that, you should always be watching the downwind
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 5:59:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you are hunting coyotes looking up wind your doing it wrong,don't know who told you to do that, you should always be watching the downwind
View Quote

Bingo. You should always have the downwind in sight.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 11:02:01 PM EDT
[#4]
The downwind in sight is where it pays for us.  

Not really sure I was told to keep the wind in my face, but perhaps it just "feels" backwards from all the deer and pigs we chase.  As much as we can there, the wind stays in our face.

We go again tomorrrow night after work.  We got the male from a pair last week, maybe we get lucky and pull the female in again looking for some company.  I would like to get rid of another breeding pair.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 11:41:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Coyote have a better sniffer on them than deer do. They'll also go as far as it takes to get a wiff! 600yds. is nothing for them, and you're busted.

Always, always hunt coyote with the wind in your face.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 9:55:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Coyote have a better sniffer on them than deer do. They'll also go as far as it takes to get a wiff! 600yds. is nothing for them, and you're busted.

View Quote

You'll never see them though because the dog is gonna swoop in down wind of your call to inspect before making a move. Then subsequently wind you and bolt
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 12:29:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You'll never see them though because the dog is gonna swoop in down wind of your call to inspect before making a move.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You'll never see them though because the dog is gonna swoop in down wind of your call to inspect before making a move.

You'll never see them if they wind you either. Right? So, why give them the upper hand? If they come in downwind, WHY would you sit upwind of them? Seems backwards to me! Do you sit upwind of deer?

Having a MOJO helps eliminate them coming straight to the call. If they see something moving, they'll move in on it instead of the call.

Place your MOJO upwind of your position so if they do flank, they'll flank closer, and most likely between you, and the MOJO. Also, if they have a visual attractant their less likely to actually flank.

I've been killing yote for 20 years, and have killed 100's of them in 3 different states. I use strictly hand calls. None of the electronic bullshit.

KY

OH

TN

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 4:37:27 PM EDT
[#8]
you set up upwind and set yourself up so you can get them before they get into your "scent cone". this involves being able to anticipate where they are going to come from and where they will approach downwind.
you cant hunt them like deer.
of you walk in with the wind in your face and set up in a cross wind, either way...you should be watching downwind.
the only exception I've seen to this (called in 21 this season) is when they are responding to howls, and even them some of those showed themselves not downwind, but tried to circle that way when i coaxed them.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top