Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 7/9/2013 5:30:27 PM EDT
We were walking out to one of our feeders about sundown and heard a bunch of howling nearby, went over the check it out and found this freshly killed fawn, they ate the heart first....

Link Posted: 7/9/2013 5:38:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah looks like a good reason to have been killing and trapping them last year.
Link Posted: 7/9/2013 5:40:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Good reason for me to go out and bounce a couple
Link Posted: 7/9/2013 5:47:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I will have my game cam covered tonight!

Link Posted: 7/9/2013 5:49:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I caught four last year with a limited # of traps. I'm hoping to add 6-12 traps this year and kill more of them bastards.
Link Posted: 7/9/2013 5:50:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like a plan.
Link Posted: 7/9/2013 8:20:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I hate coyotes. Kill them all.  
Link Posted: 7/9/2013 9:03:52 PM EDT
[#7]
If I could only FIND them!!
Link Posted: 7/10/2013 2:21:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, they can be elusive & often don't stand still for very long. I'll always take that coyote shot if I see one out deer hunting.
Link Posted: 7/10/2013 2:49:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I like putting wire snares in fence lines.  Yotes are extreme suckers for a snare.  If you have field wire fences and can find where they go through you can catch them.
Link Posted: 7/10/2013 3:33:42 PM EDT
[#10]
One just killed my GF's cat in out backyard. They are getting really bad here in upstate NY.
Link Posted: 7/10/2013 7:18:37 PM EDT
[#11]
This timely thread is timely.

I'm seriously considered reducing the dog population around my house, too. Stinking things just killed another chicken in my backyard. My daughter will just have to get over losing her pets while she was away at camp...
Link Posted: 7/12/2013 12:34:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Drive down the interstate.  

One of these days I'm going to end up hitting one and I hope it ends up better for me than the coyote...
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 11:43:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Going to be going out in about 10 minutes to see if I can get some of them off my land.  They are getting closer and closer to the house and are now circling my chicken coop at night.          

I found 2 dead chickens in my field this past week.  Looks like my neighbor's birds.  Will post pics of dead yotes if we get any this evening.  

AAR:  No yotes this evening.

Link Posted: 7/28/2013 5:00:46 PM EDT
[#14]

Popped this little bitch last week. I think they've been feeding on the rabbits I've been popping. This one was shot at about 45 yards. Gun is a Colt Gold Cup .22, ammo was CCI stingers. Ran about 25 yards and piled up.
Round entered on the right side, near the back of the rib cage and exited just behind the left shoulder.
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 6:18:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/85buick/54D13CD8-ACE6-4E94-8CBD-28C4A10E39F0-6179-00000A6F9869312D_zps4de8a6d9.jpg
Popped this little bitch last week. I think they've been feeding on the rabbits I've been popping. This one was shot at about 45 yards. Gun is a Colt Gold Cup .22, ammo was CCI stingers. Ran about 25 yards and piled up.
Round entered on the right side, near the back of the rib cage and exited just behind the left shoulder.
View Quote

Good job that was a good shot, don't think I'm that good with a pistol.
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 11:26:56 PM EDT
[#16]
For the first time ever, I've heard coyotes.  They've had a short Yip-fest three times in the past week. Wish they'd do it at a reasonable hour and not wake me up!   I went looking for evidence this evening and actually found one standing in the middle of the creek I was following. I made some noise, it looked at me and wondered off in to the woods.  I decided it was in my best interest not to follow.  I figure it was laughing at me for a while - Glock in one hand, pruning saw in the other.

Blew my mind...  Time will tell how this all plays out.  Hopefully they'll just move on.
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 11:38:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/85buick/54D13CD8-ACE6-4E94-8CBD-28C4A10E39F0-6179-00000A6F9869312D_zps4de8a6d9.jpg
View Quote

Nice! I haven't got a yote with a .22 yet but, I have dispatched 10 woodchucks with this so far this summer.
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 1:21:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
One just killed my GF's cat in out backyard. They are getting really bad here in upstate NY.
View Quote

You should reward the coyote...
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 1:37:03 PM EDT
[#19]
I dont have a problem with them killing deer.  I shoot coyotes sometimes, but we dont really have a lot of them anymore so they arent much of a problem
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 2:20:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Coyotes make nice pillows.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 11:55:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I dont have a problem with them killing deer.  I shoot coyotes sometimes, but we dont really have a lot of them anymore so they arent much of a problem
View Quote

We set up a game cam in front of a coyote den to see what they were bringing back to their den, in three months they brought back 17 fawns....
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 7:43:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

We set up a game cam in front of a coyote den to see what they were bringing back to their den, in three months they brought back 17 fawns....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Deer are a lot bigger nuisance here.  Can you post some of those photos, would be cool to see.
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 6:32:49 PM EDT
[#23]

2 mornings in a row being woke up at 4am by yotes in the field. Sounded like 3 or 4 of em. Tonight, the shotgun will be loaded and ready to roll.

Was just too sleepy this morning to get up for em.  

ETA:  Went out and called.  Nothing.  Dang these guys are not wanting to play....  

Link Posted: 8/7/2013 7:46:04 AM EDT
[#24]
since July 4th somethings gotten 2 of our outside barn cats. Guessing it was a coyote since about a month ago i was sleeping in and my daughter came and woke me up. She was taking one of the dogs out to do his morning duty and one of the cats was walking up the driveway and about 10 yards behind it was a coyote stalking it. It saw her and the mastiff and turned tail and run. Dumb ass cat heard it turned around and started chasing it down the drivway. they are so used to our dogs I guess they arent afraid of them. Not sure what the hell to do about them I saw one 2 years ago same scenario taking the dog out in the am it ran across the neigbors property about 20 feet in front of us and just kept moving
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 1:08:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
since July 4th somethings gotten 2 of our outside barn cats. Guessing it was a coyote since about a month ago i was sleeping in and my daughter came and woke me up. She was taking one of the dogs out to do his morning duty and one of the cats was walking up the driveway and about 10 yards behind it was a coyote stalking it. It saw her and the mastiff and turned tail and run. Dumb ass cat heard it turned around and started chasing it down the drivway. they are so used to our dogs I guess they arent afraid of them. Not sure what the hell to do about them I saw one 2 years ago same scenario taking the dog out in the am it ran across the neigbors property about 20 feet in front of us and just kept moving
View Quote

Choot em'
Link Posted: 8/16/2013 3:11:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Had some real excitement last night with that hog carcass.

Set up the FoxPro Prairie Blaster right before sundown in intermittent rain and started calling with a couple of female invitation howls and long howls. Had a group call back to me right before sundown. It was off and on rain, so I could only go out to my stand about every 30 minutes.

About 10:30 I pick up three thermal signatures on the FLIR LS64 coming out of the thick woods on the edge of the clearing about 275 yards out from me. Started Coyote Distress #3 and one split off and went left while the other two came in towards me.

At 125 yards out, I shot both of the pair coming in and knocked each one down (still had coyote distress playing on the e-caller), one ran into an alligator infested pond and the other hightailed it towards the woods.

As soon, as I shot both of them, the other one on the far side of the clearing about 175 yards out ran parallel to me and I knocked him down too, he got up and went into the woods.

It started raining again and I went out walking around with the thermal trying to find them, no luck after two outings in the rain, it was getting dark so I gave it up.

Got home from work and found this one on the edge of the clearing, apparently the other one that ran into the thick grass on the edge of the pond attacted three gators to him and he was ripped to shreds. The third one on the far side I have not found yet but will keep looking, probably find his skeleton in a week or two.

That was the first time I had hit three different coyotes at the same time! Pretty freaking exciting for me standing out in the dark rain...

Link Posted: 8/24/2013 4:54:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Had some real excitement last night with that hog carcass.

Set up the FoxPro Prairie Blaster right before sundown in intermittent rain and started calling with a couple of female invitation howls and long howls. Had a group call back to me right before sundown. It was off and on rain, so I could only go out to my stand about every 30 minutes.

About 10:30 I pick up three thermal signatures on the FLIR LS64 coming out of the thick woods on the edge of the clearing about 275 yards out from me. Started Coyote Distress #3 and one split off and went left while the other two came in towards me.

At 125 yards out, I shot both of the pair coming in and knocked each one down (still had coyote distress playing on the e-caller), one ran into an alligator infested pond and the other hightailed it towards the woods.

As soon, as I shot both of them, the other one on the far side of the clearing about 175 yards out ran parallel to me and I knocked him down too, he got up and went into the woods.

It started raining again and I went out walking around with the thermal trying to find them, no luck after two outings in the rain, it was getting dark so I gave it up.

Got home from work and found this one on the edge of the clearing, apparently the other one that ran into the thick grass on the edge of the pond attacted three gators to him and he was ripped to shreds. The third one on the far side I have not found yet but will keep looking, probably find his skeleton in a week or two.

That was the first time I had hit three different coyotes at the same time! Pretty freaking exciting for me standing out in the dark rain...

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/FLIR%20T60/T60%20Triple/T60%20Triple.jpg
View Quote

Good job. Sounds like fun.

MAHA
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 11:08:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Coyote @ 175 yards DRT:

What's even better is my T-70 is on the brown truck to be delivered next week from TNVC!
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 8:36:45 PM EDT
[#29]
apparently the other one that ran into the thick grass on the edge of the pond attacted three gators to him and he was ripped to shreds
View Quote

Hilarious! Good riddance.
Link Posted: 10/6/2013 9:22:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Got one coyote over the offal last night and this morning turned on the FoxPro Prairie Blaster "Crow Party".....

Link Posted: 10/11/2013 9:43:09 PM EDT
[#31]
This song dog was quite a hoot!

I called him in to within 100 feet of us last Saturday night with a FoxPro Prairie Blaster playing Bay Bee Cottontail and he came charging in from 250 yards out and my buddy was my guest so I let him shoot him, he hit him and he jumped way up in the air and turned around and high tailed it out. I figured he was dead somewhere within a hundred yards or so and we walked all over the wood that night and next Sunday morning trying to find him with no luck.

Then tonight I started calling with Bay Bee Cottontail again and this wounded limping coyote comes at me, I dropped him at 165 yards out with the FLIR T-70.

I had the DVR video recorder on but neglected to turn on the video output port, so had not video of the whole two minute killl

That SUX.....but I did take some video of him laying in the grass dead, about 9MB WMV file:

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/FLIR%20T70/T70%20Videos/Flir%20T70%20Coyote.wmv

I'll see if I can get a pack up and howling tonight and maybe get a couple more live on video dying.....
Link Posted: 10/13/2013 5:43:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Thermal Fur Down!

Link Posted: 10/24/2013 4:51:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Taking out some coyotes always makes it easier on the deer population.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 6:57:33 AM EDT
[#34]
OP, your rifle is badass.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 4:36:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Smoked this guy tonight. Savage .22 hornet. 34 grain Varmint Nightmare over 11 grains H110. Bullet never exited. Total fragmentation. DRT, a few twitches.

ETA, picture sucks. Was just about midnight and the iPhone doesn't do well in low light.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 11:32:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Went out tonight to try to take a couple of pics through the ACOG TA02 using the FLIR T-70 so you could see the sights.

It is a beautiful night out, temp about 50*F, full stars, no wind and low humidity.

After a long HOT HUMID summer, the FLIR worked beyond excellent, simply stunning thermal imagery.

So I start taking a couple of pics with my I-Phone through the ACOG:

Next thing I know a coyote shows up at 175 yards out while I have the I-Phone hooked up to the ACOG, so I took a short video of him before I disconnected the I-Phone and shot him:

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/FLIR%20T70/T70%20Coyote2/T70%20Coyote.wmv

Man, this FLIR T-70 is real real NICE!
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 11:43:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Last meal....

Link Posted: 10/31/2013 10:58:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Heres tonight's Trick-or-Treat yote, she was only 40 yards away and stood still while I got the rifle up and got a good aim (shot standing offhand.)  I wish they were all that disciplined...

Link Posted: 11/1/2013 11:18:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Nice
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 3:06:26 PM EDT
[#40]
dang OP,you seem to stay busy.

thanks for sharing.

clown
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 12:59:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Don't let this happen to you!

Link Posted: 11/7/2013 1:09:08 PM EDT
[#42]
I need to start doing this at our place as well. they've started scouting out our game trails as well....
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 1:43:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
We were walking out to one of our feeders about sundown and heard a bunch of howling nearby, went over the check it out and found this freshly killed fawn, they ate the heart first....

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/FLIR%20T50/Missed%20Coyote/Coyote%20Kill%20Web.jpg
View Quote

Dude! they left most of the backstrap! Tear that shit out and eat it tonight!
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 6:51:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Okay, here is a pretty good FLIR T-70 Thermal video of one of the largest coyotes I have ever shot, 45 lbs+.

I was using my FoxPro Prairie Blaster with an SP55 external speaker using Female Invitation and Cottontail Distress.

He came in over 300 yards out and I shot him at 225 yards through the heart about 4 minutes later. He took off like a scaled cat and I found him the next day ten feet into the woods where he disappears in the video.

This video pretty much shows that with a T-70 and an ACOG 4X, you can shoot a coyote through the heart at long distance....

This is a 67MB WNV file that you should first download to watch off my server:

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/FLIR%20T70/T70%20Videos/Big%20Coyote/Big%20Dog%20Down.wmv
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 9:40:54 PM EDT
[#45]
The FLIR T-70 just keeps knocking them dead.

Called in 3 songdogs from out over 350 yards and pulled the trigger once on this one at 275 yards, nice female DRT.

Used the ACOG 4X and the T-70 on 1.0X, high humidity and temps around 55 F. made this an easy shot.

Got a nice thermal video of the entire scene so will work on editing that up for a nice kill video.....
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 10:55:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Here is the FLIR T-70 40MB Thermal Kill video of this songdog at 275 yards at night:

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/FLIR%20T70/T70%20Female%20275%20Yards/T70%20275%20Yard%20Female.wmv

ENJOY!!!!
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 11:26:24 PM EDT
[#47]
LOL -> No sooner do I get finished rendering the thermal kill video that I walk out the back door to go pick up my rifle and I see another coyote, one shot at 225 yards, DRT.

Double Smack Down tonight, think I might get some.....

Link Posted: 11/15/2013 9:20:12 AM EDT
[#48]
Good job

How does the magnification work with the T-70?  Can you still use the ACOG's bullet drop compensator?
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 9:51:39 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Good job

How does the magnification work with the T-70?  Can you still use the ACOG's bullet drop compensator?
View Quote

Yes you can use the ballistic reticule in the ACOG when using the T-70 at 1.0X power (4X ACOG power), I have the other two magnifications (0.5X & 2.0X, which are 2X and 8X with the ACOG) programmed to turn on the internal digital reticule, but you can turn them off if you want and just use the ACOG all the time...
Link Posted: 11/22/2013 7:34:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Are you finding them with the handheld FLIR first?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top