BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 3:00:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Prouty33:
I've almost pulled the trigger on buying some beetles a few times. My father is retired and we were thinking this would be a fun hobby for him (He did taxidermy for many years), but were concerned about keeping them alive in the cold. Where do you house your beetles?  We were thinking about building a new shed and he could house them in there, but weren't sure how warm we'd have to keep them in the winter up here. We also considered moving them into his basement during the winter but didn't know how bad the smell would be. Any insight on beetles in the cold?
View Quote

I ordered from the link rizzo provided and ordered both of the dvd's on the site as well. They are worth every penny.

The bugs themselves don't stink so I have them in my house right now to keep them warm. The video said they need to stay between 70-80 degrees for best performance. Anyncolder and they get slow and between 40-50 they start dying. And when you get into the 100 range they start trying to escape the enclosure by flying, which they don't do under normal circumstances. You can put a heating pad underneath the enclosure or a heatlamp over the enclosure to keep thek warm if necessary. But the temperature needs to be monitored.

You will need a plastic or glass enclosure that is well ventilated to house them and shredded paper for bedding material. And inbetween skulls you just feed them any kind of meat in small portions. It is a little project but it seems like overall it will be fun to do.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 3:48:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By BoxofRox:
I ordered from the link rizzo provided and ordered both of the dvd's on the site as well. They are worth every penny.

The bugs themselves don't stink so I have them in my house right now to keep them warm. The video said they need to stay between 70-80 degrees for best performance. Anyncolder and they get slow and between 40-50 they start dying. And when you get into the 100 range they start trying to escape the enclosure by flying, which they don't do under normal circumstances. You can put a heating pad underneath the enclosure or a heatlamp over the enclosure to keep thek warm if necessary. But the temperature needs to be monitored.

You will need a plastic or glass enclosure that is well ventilated to house them and shredded paper for bedding material. And inbetween skulls you just feed them any kind of meat in small portions. It is a little project but it seems like overall it will be fun to do.
View Quote

Thanks, I think we will try this in the spring. For years we've always boiled or simply let them sit out and let nature do the work, but the results are always disappointing.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 4:21:07 PM EDT
[#3]
if you're gonna boil human head...do it outside.  PSA

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 6:26:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Thanks, I think we will try this in the spring. For years we've always boiled or simply let them sit out and let nature do the work, but the results are always disappointing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Yup, and as you can see by the pics rizzo has posted, bugs work.

Also in the video he used a 50/50 mix of dawn dish soap and water for degreasing and the same stuff as rizzo for whitening.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 11:31:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Also in the video he used a 50/50 mix of dawn dish soap and water for degreasing and the same stuff as rizzo for whitening.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Tim likes Dawn for degreasing, I prefer Borax - same result. Also, always let the skull dry for at least 14 days before coating/painting/sealing the bone, as the pores in the bone need to completely close otherwise you will get mixed results.

Originally Posted By Bounce19712:
if you're gonna boil human head...do it outside.  PSA

Yeah, pretty much gonna need the story behind this.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 9:08:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Balog:
Fascinating, thanks for posting. What kind of upkeep do the dermestids require? What is the ratio of borax to water in the degreasing stage?
View Quote

I somehow missed these questions earlier, so here's the answers:

-Dermestids don't require much upkeep - keep them dry, keep them relatively warm (otherwise they won't eat), clean their container from every few months, and feed them tablescraps when there aren't skulls to clean.
-As for the Borax, I keep putting it in until it doesn't dissolve anymore. I like a good strong mix to pull as much grease out as possible.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 8:28:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Took my first boar this year.  I am using this thread, minus the flesh eating bugs, plus a couple of you tube vids to make a mount.
I bought some volume 40 at Sally Beauty supply to do the whitening.  That was an interesting conversation.  I think she just wanted me out her store.
I should of paid cash.   Oh well.

Removing eyes and tounge was fun.  That is until I had to find somewhere, other than my garbage can, to dispose of eyes and tounge. . 7-11 garbage can on my way to work for the win.  

I boiled in borax and detergent solution for 45 minutes.  Kids asked, "What's for dinner"?   I walked them to pot of pig skull on side yard.  I laughed.  They did not.

Once the boil was done I hit the skull with pressure washer while wearing my chest waders and face mask.  I did that on the driveway.  Now I have a clean spot there and the yard smells funny.

I did manage to pull the cutters and remaining front teeth to do the soak in 40 volume peroxide.

Soak for 3 or 4 days.  Dry, re-mount teeth then seal.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 1:26:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Monkeysuncle69:
Took my first boar this year.  I am using this thread, minus the flesh eating bugs, plus a couple of you tube vids to make a mount.
I bought some volume 40 at Sally Beauty supply to do the whitening.  That was an interesting conversation.  I think she just wanted me out her store.
I should of paid cash.   Oh well.

Removing eyes and tounge was fun.  That is until I had to find somewhere, other than my garbage can, to dispose of eyes and tounge. . 7-11 garbage can on my way to work for the win.  

I boiled in borax and detergent solution for 45 minutes.  Kids asked, "What's for dinner"?   I walked them to pot of pig skull on side yard.  I laughed.  They did not.

Once the boil was done I hit the skull with pressure washer while wearing my chest waders and face mask.  I did that on the driveway.  Now I have a clean spot there and the yard smells funny.

I did manage to pull the cutters and remaining front teeth to do the soak in 40 volume peroxide.

Soak for 3 or 4 days.  Dry, re-mount teeth then seal.
View Quote

Awesome story - reminds me of the first time I had to talk with my peroxide supplier years ago!

Make sure you post pics in this thread when you are done.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 5:14:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 12:46:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Corporal_Chaos:
Do you have any tips for whitening all the way up to the base of the antlers without actually whitening the antlers themselves?
View Quote

You can mix the Salon Care 40 stuff with baby powder and paint it on the skull itself.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 1:51:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Corporal_Chaos:
Do you have any tips for whitening all the way up to the base of the antlers without actually whitening the antlers themselves?
View Quote

I use a whitening cream and hand apply it after taping off the antlers, once the rest of the skull has been whitened.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top