BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 1:38:12 PM EDT
[#1]
fattening it up for the kill

Link Posted: 11/14/2010 7:18:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Did a little squirrel hunting this morning and found a nice spot to deer hunt next week.  I ended up shooting one more after I took this pic.    That's my Glenfield 75, my first and favorite rifle.  I've been killing squirrels with it for twenty-five years.

Link Posted: 11/28/2010 2:09:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd tell you the yardage at which I shot this guy, but you wouldn't believe me anyway.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 3:34:23 PM EDT
[#4]
My first bunny..
.. more to come.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 4:34:39 PM EDT
[#5]
My boys first Jack rabbit.

NoHair
Link Posted: 3/25/2011 5:32:42 PM EDT
[#6]

savage 17 hmr. headshot at about 120 to 140 yards across a field. i love that gun
Link Posted: 3/25/2011 5:51:21 PM EDT
[#7]
" />

ar-22

" />

" />

.17hmr
Link Posted: 4/10/2011 3:29:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/22/2011 1:17:49 PM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 5/31/2011 8:07:13 PM EDT
[#10]
She stays clean on the inside though :)

Anyways..

So my buddy spotted a chipmunk as we were coming down the hill we were searching for rattlesnakes on ( we found one, he ecaped). The chipmunk was on the second log to the viewers left, right above a brim which was a limb of the tree that had broken off.

Im not the best at ranging, but I would estimate about 100 yards give or take. I took my Maxpedition backpack off and sat it right infront of me and got into a quick firing position with my handguard resting on the top of the bag. I pushed my nose to the charging handle and went through my breathing technique, I sent the 55grain soft point down range with my Eotech and magnifier sitting on his forehead. I aimed slightly higher because my last engagement was a miss by about 1" inch low at 70 yards.

The rifle recoiled and I could see some sort of movement down range before the recoil had a chance to move me off target. My buddy yelled, ooooOOOhhh. He said he saw a piece of meat flying in the air spinning and then slowly fall back onto the log.

We took a short walk to the log to inspect the aftermath.

Here is what awaited us.... (forgive the bad photo quality, these are stills from Video taken, the camera was mounted inside my admin pouch)

We found a little foot, the skin had been peeled back like an orange from concusion. We were worried that the forest had won and the chipmunk was going to live the rest of his days as an amputee.

I soon noticed alot of blood splattered on the log, and surrounding area. Too much to conclude just an arm loss, his carcass was laying around the dead bark somewhere....

We found his body about 5-7 feet to the viewers right of his initial position and about 3 feet behind the giant tree. We never did find his face or anything that resembled it...

Link Posted: 7/19/2011 12:34:52 PM EDT
[#11]
These two I got Dec 08- Jan 09.  First when deer hunting, seen turkey and squirrel, no deer so this guy got a 210 JHP .41 mag.

Then this one during small game in Jan.  Both went into the dutch oven.  

CD
Link Posted: 7/23/2011 12:45:17 PM EDT
[#12]

24 rabbits and a fox from last week.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 2:23:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Green rattler baby

12 rabbits and got 13th with the truck tire.
Link Posted: 8/29/2011 4:24:49 PM EDT
[#14]
You guys eating all those rabbits?

I just don't trust eating them out here so I never shoot them.
Link Posted: 8/29/2011 8:21:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By BillyDoubleU:

I've eaten a jack rabbit, but highly suggest against it. Depending on the time of year, there should be no concerns with cotton tails.
Link Posted: 8/29/2011 8:25:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By PhreakMode:

I've eaten a jack rabbit, but highly suggest against it. Depending on the time of year, there should be no concerns with cotton tails.

I've eaten one cottontail I've shot. It was taken in the pseudo winter in southern AZ...
Link Posted: 9/5/2011 8:49:21 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't recommend eating any rabbit that has been killed when temps are higher than 50 degrees for more than a month, some kind of worms they get or something like that
Link Posted: 9/8/2011 7:17:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NBT] [#18]
Originally Posted By 4HShooter:
I don't recommend eating any rabbit that has been killed when temps are higher than 50 degrees for more than a month, some kind of worms they get or something like that

Tularemia is what your referring to....and we always inspect the liver's of the rabbit before we consider them table fare....that and season usually opens in Nov...well after a few frosty mornings in Ohio.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001859/

Check this guy out...15 rds of ammo...and he's eating worms after getting lost in the woods on a Squirrel hunting trip.... FAIL
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/08/hunter-lost-for-5-days-at_n_954439.html?icid=maing-grid10
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 9:09:44 AM EDT
[#19]
This huge male(at least huge for around here) responded to a distress call.

He covered probably 80-100 yards very quickly responding to this call.  

First shot was deflected by a branch...second shot hit home.

I should have put something in there for scale... absolutely the largest I've ever shot.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 1:19:48 PM EDT
[#20]

These plus the one I had from yesterday will make a nice fry or a crock pot of stew.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 1:31:55 PM EDT
[#21]
CCI Subsonics + a long barrel = pffwak...... SMACK

Link Posted: 10/4/2011 5:53:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Squirrel are fat and plentiful around here despite the drought.  Very active, average morning will have three in my bag before 0800.  Best day has been five for AM hunts.  I am predicting a hard winter based on my 30+ years of squirrel hunting experience.  

Yes, .22 subsonics or even CB caps, if they are accurate in your rifle are plenty good if you head or chest shoot.  Less damage too.  I hunt for the table and to keep them off my pecans.  

If I had more time, I bet I could get my bag limit.  But my hunts are just half days.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 10:50:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Keith_J:
Squirrel are fat and plentiful around here despite the drought.  Very active, average morning will have three in my bag before 0800.  Best day has been five for AM hunts.  I am predicting a hard winter based on my 30+ years of squirrel hunting experience.  

Yes, .22 subsonics or even CB caps, if they are accurate in your rifle are plenty good if you head or chest shoot.  Less damage too.  I hunt for the table and to keep them off my pecans.  

If I had more time, I bet I could get my bag limit.  But my hunts are just half days.

CCI subsonics have a long driving band and CZ rifles have a short chamber.  The bullets engage the rifling when you close the bolt.  There is no freebore.  This seems to be beneficial to accuracy.

The fact that they mushroom well and are very quiet out of a 24.5 inch barrel are additional perks.
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 8:57:37 PM EDT
[#24]
I took my youngest son on his first squirrel hunt Saturday. He had a great time.

Link Posted: 10/18/2011 12:28:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By NBT:
Originally Posted By 4HShooter:

Tularemia is what your referring to....and we always inspect the liver's of the rabbit before we consider them table fare....that and season usually opens in Nov...well after a few frosty mornings in Ohio.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001859/

Check this guy out...15 rds of ammo...and he's eating worms after getting lost in the woods on a Squirrel hunting trip.... FAIL
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/08/hunter-lost-for-5-days-at_n_954439.html?icid=maing-grid10

5 days? He didn't even have to eat.
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 10:53:05 PM EDT
[#26]
This squirrel season is NUTS.  Never seen greater numbers.  Forget dove hunting, that is too expensive in ammo.  

I'm going to have to sharpen my paring knife and bone out a few to make squirrel tenders.  I'm out of space in the deep freeze
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 2:21:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Joenavy85] [#27]
Originally Posted By CARarick:
I'd tell you the yardage at which I shot this guy, but you wouldn't believe me anyway.
http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq42/Manhatn_Projekt/2010-11-11153459.jpg

I'd probably believe it.

I took the Grey at about 35 yards and the Red at about 20.

I took this Grey at about 40 yards.

I just bought the pistol (Colt Woodsman .22LR) from my girlfriends dad, and prior to the hunt had only put 1 mag through it (10 rounds). The Grey's cooked up pretty well, the Red ended up being Coyote food. The angle I hit him at made it a gut shot, and he smelled pretty bad when I went to dice him up, so I took his tail for my trophy and tossed him out in the woods.
Link Posted: 10/29/2011 6:36:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Tiny red.  Or massive gray.  Nice shooting.

Down here, we just have the monkey face reds and regular grays.  About the same  size, just look different in the face.

Has the season been crazy for you too?  I'm still thinking it is going to be a tough winter, been watching them make 10-12 round trips a day stashing nuts.  A good morning has five in the bag.  My record for sunrise to 0900 is 7.  With 7 shots.

Link Posted: 10/30/2011 11:44:14 AM EDT
[#29]
50 yards with a Sig 522

Link Posted: 10/31/2011 12:05:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Keith_J:
Tiny red.  Or massive gray.  Nice shooting.

Down here, we just have the monkey face reds and regular grays.  About the same  size, just look different in the face.

Has the season been crazy for you too?  I'm still thinking it is going to be a tough winter, been watching them make 10-12 round trips a day stashing nuts.  A good morning has five in the bag.  My record for sunrise to 0900 is 7.  With 7 shots.

well, not sure on size coomparisons, it's the biggest grey i've seen around here, and only the second red i've seen (i shot both). they are more spread out on the land I hunt, and are hard to stalk (though it is fun trying to) I usually manage 5 a day, that weekend I only took 4, I was trying to get 1 of the Black ones that lives around there, but I swear that thing is wearing body armor. Hopefully I'll get him in a couple weeks when I go back up for Gun Deer Season.
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 6:26:37 PM EDT
[#31]
I got a couple  yesterday

Link Posted: 11/13/2011 9:22:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CrewChiefMA] [#32]
Link Posted: 12/20/2011 11:18:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Just got into town for Christmas, I missed deer season.  So pop took me squirrel hunting with one of his old friends.  I had not been squirrel hunting in years.  The three of us and a couple dogs had a blast only got 4 and 1 rabbit, but anyday in the woods with family is a great day.  Now if i can just get my kiddos in the woods.
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 12:39:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Got two (small female and large male) both with my TC Contender in .357 Mag shooting .38 Special Shotshells. Range 15 yds, male required finishing shot with 10/22 to head. Got both within 5 mintues of each other. Fried both up that weekend.

That old Hot Shot barrel keeps the pattern full to take those squrriels even with #9 shot.

CD
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 12:44:16 PM EDT
[#35]
I was told that squirrel meat is actually pretty good, is it?
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 4:05:39 PM EDT
[#36]
It is very good, sometimes tough, but excellent
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:05:48 PM EDT
[#37]
I was told that squirrel meat is actually pretty good, is it?

Soaked overnight, parboiled and chicken fried with gravy and biscuits.
Link Posted: 1/9/2012 9:59:04 PM EDT
[#38]
I really need to find some good squirrel woods.  In the last 4 years I've only managed to get 4 squirrels.  Last two where last Oct in which I took 4 days off to hunt two different private properties.  Was saving those for a taxidermy project and the wife cleaned out the freezer and chucked them out in the trash.  I don't remember tree rats being that hard to find when I was a kid.  Got a few weeks left of the season, but only got public land to hunt.  Hit it hard last weekend...only saw two other hunters.  Think I'll have better luck driving around city parks hoping for a road kill.
Link Posted: 1/13/2012 12:16:27 PM EDT
[#39]
have a few quesitons.

must say I have never hunted, never skinned anything etc.. don't mean to be a troll if it comes out that way.

First, these worms in the summer etc.. are they actually dangerous? that is if you cook the rabbit/tree rat to well done, are they still a problem? or is this a taste issue?

is there a wrong way to gut one? that is, if you pierce the intestenes, bladder, gaul(sp) bladder does it make the meat bad? I just remember something about gutting deer that you could ruin the meat.

Finally, I was watching one of those surviver shows and they seemed very concerned about getting too close to a trapped/dead varmit like that. worried about flea's, ticks, lice or some such that might carry a diesease.
It was in the summer I think and he was in a death valley type area.

I remember as a kid catching cottentails as pets, but don't remember issues like this. Is this a real concern? was it just the time of year and where he was? les shroub(shroud) guy, surviverman or something like that.
do I have to worry about this?
Link Posted: 1/13/2012 3:15:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Andrewh:
have a few quesitons.

must say I have never hunted, never skinned anything etc.. don't mean to be a troll if it comes out that way.

First, these worms in the summer etc.. are they actually dangerous? that is if you cook the rabbit/tree rat to well done, are they still a problem? or is this a taste issue?

is there a wrong way to gut one? that is, if you pierce the intestenes, bladder, gaul(sp) bladder does it make the meat bad? I just remember something about gutting deer that you could ruin the meat.

Finally, I was watching one of those surviver shows and they seemed very concerned about getting too close to a trapped/dead varmit like that. worried about flea's, ticks, lice or some such that might carry a diesease.

I remember as a kid catching cottentails as pets, but don't remember issues like this. Is this a real concern? was it just the time of year and where he was? les shroub(shroud) guy, surviverman or something like that.

A thread about rabbits and disease

Where gloves and cook well, you'll be fine and if it don't look right, it probably ain't
Link Posted: 1/13/2012 8:10:29 PM EDT
[#41]
thanks for the link. answered my questions.
Link Posted: 1/14/2012 5:28:05 PM EDT
[#42]
My first squirrel.

Link Posted: 1/14/2012 8:03:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Beasley7] [#43]
On Friday (the 13th) my son got his 1st squirrel while walking a friends driveway. With no squirrels on the ground due to a stray cat hunting the property, he was forced to hunt the trees. After a 25ish yard shot between the branches he claimed his prize. Very proud of him.

Rifle: Henry Mini-Bolt .22 w/ Gemtech OB2d
Ammo: CCI 40 grain segmented subsonic

Link Posted: 1/18/2012 8:05:15 PM EDT
[#44]

Originally Posted By Andrewh:

have a few quesitons.

Squirrels are fine, I've never had one with visible internal or external parasites.  Many dove have intestinal worms but nothing ever in a squirrel.  No fleas or ticks either.  They groom themselves, very well it seems.

Rats?  Please cease.  Would you call a beaver a rat? Because that is closer to a rat than a squirrel.  

About the only disease that worries me is rabies and squirrels don't live long once infected (experimentally, of course) compared to other natural reservoirs (bats, coyotes, skunks, raccoons).  Squirrels also rarely contact other animals.  Being spry and quick, they run before contact.  But being social animals, they COULD transmit disease between each other.  It just doesn't  happen.

There are a few methods of skinning, the tail cut and pull method is fairly easy to learn.  Sharp knife is a must.  Razor sharp.  Skin, then eviscerate.  Start evisceration incision just below the sternum, progressing down.  Just use the tip of the knife, then use two fingers to guide the viscera away from the blade. Again, small blades  are  best.   1-1/2" is plenty.   Pen knife works.  You won't nick the gall bladder as  it is buried in the anterior side, buried in the cleft.  It is full of bile which is bitter but it won't taint meat if washed off immediately.   Then using shears, unzip the rib cage all the way to the neck. Then scoop out the viscera.  Oh, bring water jugs to the field because you will get a gut shot unless you are a dead shot.  I've done it a few times .  Never with high power, a .22 Hornet makes the head disappear.  

I've been hunting them for 30+ years .  Fun times.

Link Posted: 1/20/2012 6:59:04 AM EDT
[#45]
yeah squirrel are fun to hunt, especially when you use a .22LR with iron sights. I started this past year after watching the squirrels eat my bait while Deer Hunting back in 2010. I use a Colt Woodsman Pistol and a Ruger 10/22, both with iron sights. It's a lot of fun trying to sneak up as close as possible to get an easy shot. The squirrels up where I hunt seem to like running up trees and then stopping on the side of the tree to stare at me, it's usually the last thing they do, as I have shot them off the tree on several occasions. I've been lucky a couple times and gotten clean vital shots, even then they can still run a little ways before they finally drop, had 1 make it about 20 yards over the ground and then about 10 feet up a tree before he finally dropped, he was about 2 feet from a branch that he could have gotten stuck on.
Link Posted: 1/29/2012 8:20:41 AM EDT
[#46]

Originally Posted By Beasley7:
On Friday (the 13th) my son got his 1st squirrel while walking a friends driveway. With no squirrels on the ground due to a stray cat hunting the property, he was forced to hunt the trees. After a 25ish yard shot between the branches he claimed his prize. Very proud of him.

Rifle: Henry Mini-Bolt .22 w/ Gemtech OB2d
Ammo: CCI 40 grain segmented subsonic

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/2213/1stsquirrel011312ktg.jpg

Link Posted: 2/5/2012 7:39:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 2:21:51 PM EDT
[#48]
You can tell who's the real rabbit hunter in this pic. My Dad is a pretty hard core beagler. I got the chance to rabbit hunt with him the other day for the first time in years. Had a blast.

Link Posted: 2/10/2012 3:20:32 PM EDT
[#49]

Link Posted: 3/17/2012 8:03:17 AM EDT
[#50]
Hey folks,

I'm relatively new to this stuff, I've been varmiting about a dozen times in the past year or so. It seems last year, about this time here in northern/central CA, there was more to shoot. I dunno if I'm doing it wrong, but we have two ranches we usually go to, both have cattle and the damn squirrels and gophers dig holes everywhere and cause problems for the owners (friends). When we first started, we'd just walk around, and when we spot something, we'd shoot it. Nowadays, it seems like we can't find many around, and when we do, they scatter like crazy. I've tried to sit somewhere and wait for them to come back out, but they don't seem to be coming back. At the other ranch, there are a couple of flats that are about 200-300 yards in diameter. Same thing, we lay out prone, shoot, and now there's nothing around. An oldtimer we bumped into once said to whistle if they start to run, and they should stop in their tracks. I'm going to try that next time I go out. I read somewhere there's a distress call, but haven't found anything on that. Any tips?

I had a similar problem with rabbits, but it seems like they are slowly starting to come back out. I'm headed out again in a couple of weeks, but my friend who owns one of the pieces of property sid that he's seeing a few around again. The rabbits I've seen/shot are both cotton tails and jacks. The jacks are pretty easy kills, they are much bigger and I usually get them pretty far away... but the cotton tails seem to know I'm trying to line them up in my sights. As soon as I get my rifle up, they start running like there's a fire. Any ideas on them as well?

Thanks in advance, any help would be greatly appreciated... hopefully i can contribute to the pictures as well!

Jerry
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top