Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 9:59:39 AM EDT
[#1]

Originally Posted By rizzo1318:
I can hit anything at 500 yards with that Rem 700 pictured above like I'm hitting it at 50 yards - no kidding.

Haven't shot farther yet, but I'm headed to Colorado this weekend and I'm gonna bust me some p-dogs with it.

That is my dream trip!!!!!!!  Have fun and post pics pleeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaasssee!!!!  How much does your set up weigh altogether?  Looks like that fluted barell may shave you a little without affecting accuracy.

What loads are you using to shoot at 500 yards?  Just curious, because I'm betting your twist is only a 1/12, eh?

And I thought a remington LTR is a 700.  They've always had a .223 in their line up.  The heavy barelled varminters, the tactical ones, and I think even in the regular ole BDL.  Maybe I'm full of it.

I'm thinking of getting rid of one of my AR uppers to fund a .223 bolt action build.  I have a pretty accurate Recce, but there is something cool about bolt action rifles.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:17:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rizzo1318] [#2]
Well I wasn't going to CO to just shoot p-dogs, actually I was up there for a funeral.

But since I was up there I figured I might as well bring a rifle, and might as well bust some p-dogs.

I was in Ft. Collins and the area is full of private land, which is a pain in the ass when trying to find some hunting ground. But with the help of my brother-in-law, we tracked down some good locale.

I'm not sure how much the rifle weighs (no scale), but it's fairly heavy. Hard to shoot offhand for more than a few rounds but it's one accurate shooter. I'm mostly using 55gr FMJ and SPs to reach out to 500 yards, and this trip I was also using some 40gr VMAX rounds with no adjustment to my scope, but all shots were under 200 yards.

A good AR is always worth keeping around of course, and useful for all kinds of hunting, but I agree that a solid bolt-action is a good tool to own.

I forgot my camera at the house, so I was only able to take a few pics with my camera phone, but you'll get the idea.

Link Posted: 7/24/2008 9:04:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice shooting Tex!
Link Posted: 7/26/2008 6:45:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 8/11/2008 9:08:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Before...

After...

Link Posted: 8/12/2008 1:25:46 AM EDT
[#6]
LOVE IT!

Nothing like a good day of squirrel hunting, one of my favorite types of small game!
Link Posted: 8/14/2008 6:53:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/14/2008 7:04:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Remember . . . .

USELESS

WITHOUT

PICS

Good Luck and Happy Hunting!
Link Posted: 8/24/2008 4:30:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rizzo1318] [#9]
I was out deer hunting this weekend, headed back to the truck and saw this jack. Put a stalk on him to about 35 yards, he was facing away from me and I arrowed him through the neck with a broadhead.

He was flipping all over the place and blood was everywhere, it was crazy!

Link Posted: 8/24/2008 5:48:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 8/26/2008 3:38:42 PM EDT
[#11]
we went alittle night time rabbit shooting....heres jsut a few pics i'm in the red shirt...

he thinks he shot it first but i disagree

thats why i think i hit him with the 2 shots i shot from about 50 yards with my AR

here is one he did hit...haha...we had a total of 13 rabbits

Link Posted: 9/2/2008 1:51:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Found the broken Indian point on my way back to the house to skin her for lunch.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 1:25:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: emcs31089] [#13]

Originally Posted By Vespid_Wasp:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/gnieman/Lunch_Point.jpg

Found the broken Indian point on my way back to the house to skin her for lunch.
how cool

I'm in love with cz22s.......is that just the 452 lux?
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 9:58:52 PM EDT
[#14]

Originally Posted By Vespid_Wasp:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/gnieman/Lunch_Point.jpg

What kind of rock?
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 6:17:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Here's a bunny shot with my Remington 5mm Rimfire Magnum and the new Centurion ammo:

DOH!!

Eric  

Link Posted: 9/18/2008 11:00:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Maybe a little graphic, but this is why I don't eat a lot of the rabbits that I kill, especially before the freeze.

Here's one from tonight - notice the lovely little gut worms - YEAH!

Link Posted: 9/19/2008 1:51:15 AM EDT
[#17]
the white are the worms?
wait until a hard freeze like you said then they are usually better
Link Posted: 9/19/2008 6:57:31 PM EDT
[#18]

Originally Posted By emcs31089:
the white are the worms?

Yep, the white are the worms. Blech - they were still all squirming around and such.
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 12:32:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Keith_J] [#19]
Well, I got another squirrel this morning.  Got to keep them under control, otherwise the pecan crop suffers.

Heard them before dawn.  Once light was good enough, I snuck around.  Perched on a low limb 25 yards distant was a small male, looking right at me.  I eased the safety off, pulled the butt firmly into my shoulder and aimed right below the jaw.  Through the 3 power scope, I knew I had hit right where I aimed.

I heard it fall in the brush and after a bit of searching, found it.

Now I was using my RWS 48.  But in my rush, had taken flat points instead of hollow points.  The difference?  Less penetration.  Upon skinning, the pellet was found in the upper left shoulder, just under the skin, after it had DESTROYED the neck.  No spinal cord left.  Lungs were just a bit bloody.

The air rifle is an effective hunting tool, if the pellet is moving at 1050 FPS.  Pointed or even hollow point pellets usually penetrate completely.  The lighter H points shed the front portion, then the back keeps on going.  Pointy pellets just zip though.  Flat nosed and the heavier Crow Magnums usually stay in the squirrel, just under the skin on the other side unless all major bones are missed.

I've connected with them out to 55 yards.  Each one an instant kill.  The .22 long rifle must really be an overkill.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 6:24:22 AM EDT
[#20]
A few photos of screwy squrls from the UK

wayne
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 6:28:08 AM EDT
[#21]
heres a couple of bunnie photos for you guys

wayne
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 8:43:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Nice shots, Wayne!!

Eric  
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 9:33:02 PM EDT
[#23]
I must be doing something wrong. First year hunter,

I sit in an oak tree stand with acorns all over the ground, still and quiet for 30 minutes and never see or hear a squirrel. what the hell am I doing wrong?
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 3:40:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Cheers mate

I must get out with that combo gun more I,d forgotten what fun it was out with that

W
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 10:26:00 AM EDT
[#25]

Originally Posted By Mach:

I sit in an oak tree stand with acorns all over the ground, still and quiet for 30 minutes and never see or hear a squirrel. what the hell am I doing wrong?

Are there squirrels usually at those trees?Do you have any hickory trees on your property?Those are real winners.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 12:42:18 PM EDT
[#26]

Originally Posted By SHORTSTACK:

Are there squirrels usually at those trees?Do you have any hickory trees on your property?Those are real winners.

It's a public wildlife mamagement area, never been there before except the 2 times I went to hunt squirrels, I can only hunt with a shotgun. Maybe there just aren't any there. haven't seen any hickory trees, but I was looking either. I will have to look for some of those thanks.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 7:42:49 PM EDT
[#27]

It's a public wildlife mamagement area, never been there before except the 2 times I went to hunt squirrels, I can only hunt with a shotgun. Maybe there just aren't any there. haven't seen any hickory trees, but I was looking either. I will have to look for some of those thanks.
I hunted on public land last year quite a bit,,,,never saw a single squirrel....I did the same as you ....Sat under trees where i found tons of chewed up acorns
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 8:32:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Public land is hard to find squirrels because other irresponsible hunters come and kill ALL of them.
Link Posted: 10/26/2008 9:16:48 PM EDT
[#29]

Public land is hard to find squirrels because other irresponsible hunters come and kill ALL of them.

so true ... saddd.... now my kids cant even get a single one of those tree rat!!!
Link Posted: 10/27/2008 8:20:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Went someplace of the beaten path, lots of squirrels. I wasn't doing anything wrong except hunting where there weren't any.
Link Posted: 11/2/2008 4:42:19 PM EDT
[#31]

Try pine trees if you have them.  My parent's property is covered with pecan trees and a few oak trees, I could count the number of times I saw squirrels out there when I was growing up on one hand.  A few years ago they planted about 10 or 15 pine trees and they're just now starting to really produce pine cones.  Suddenly the areas with the pine trees are crawling with bushy tailed rats.
Link Posted: 11/6/2008 12:22:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Spiral_Out:

Try pine trees if you have them.  My parent's property is covered with pecan trees and a few oak trees, I could count the number of times I saw squirrels out there when I was growing up on one hand.  A few years ago they planted about 10 or 15 pine trees and they're just now starting to really produce pine cones.  Suddenly the areas with the pine trees are crawling with bushy tailed rats.

I shot a squirrel living in a stand of pines once while I was walking out of the woods. Worst tasting squirrel ever.

Link Posted: 11/7/2008 12:46:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Cant wait for Deer season to get over so I can start hunting Tree Rats!!!!
Link Posted: 12/20/2008 1:50:17 PM EDT
[#34]
I shot one today but ended up screwing myself by letting hair get all over the meat.

Do you have any tips to help prevent this? Or to get the smell out of my hands?
Link Posted: 12/20/2008 5:31:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Do you skin the squirells by cutting at the tail and pulling off?
That's how I skin,I haven't got hair on the meat since I started that.
If you do get hair on the meat,just clean under a hose or sink.
I don't know a good way to get the smell out.I like the smell.
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 5:16:49 PM EDT
[#36]

Get there at least an hour before sunrise.  Sit down, cover up with camo.  Know the range.

You will hear them before you see them so only hunt when there is no wind.

Use subsonic or target ammo, precision over power.
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 5:18:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Do you skin the squirells by cutting at the tail and pulling off?
That's how I skin,I haven't got hair on the meat since I started that.
If you do get hair on the meat,just clean under a hose or sink.
I don't know a good way to get the smell out.I like the smell.

Yes, that is the key.  My trick demands a razor sharp knife.  I shave the fur on the back leg from hock to hock, about 3/4" wide at the tail.  Cut down the middle of this shaved area, making sure to only cut the skin.  Then, open the incision with tension and extract the leg.
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 5:19:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Kooter:
Originally Posted By Spiral_Out:

I shot a squirrel living in a stand of pines once while I was walking out of the woods. Worst tasting squirrel ever.

Pecan fed are best.
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 2:34:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Keith_J:

Get there at least an hour before sunrise.  Sit down, cover up with camo.  Know the range.

You will hear them before you see them so only hunt when there is no wind.

Use subsonic or target ammo, precision over power.

Is subsonic that much more accurate? Are hollowpoint 22s any good?
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 3:15:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SHORTSTACK] [#40]
It doesn't really matter what bullet you use unless over 75yd shots.I use the bulk pack of federal or winchester.
Use a shotgun if you have one.
Link Posted: 12/26/2008 3:51:37 PM EDT
[#41]
I don't really like the shotgun 'cause even though it is easier to take them down on the move, you'll fill 'em full of pellets and that sucks when eating them.

Find a load that works well for your .22, and use it. Doesn't matter if it's the cheap stuff or the pricey stuff, it'll kill them dead with a head shot. Most of my shots are under 20 yards, YMMV.
Link Posted: 12/29/2008 11:17:39 AM EDT
[#42]
A couple of bunnies for the thread....

10/22 BC Folder, UTG Quad, NcStar Red dot, Harris BiPod, Federal Bulk Pack ammo.

2 head shots @ ~45 yds = 2 in the marinating bowl....
Link Posted: 12/29/2008 11:56:34 PM EDT
[#43]
thanksgiving weekend

christmas weekend

all in all not a great for either weekend but i had fun!
Link Posted: 12/30/2008 12:02:05 AM EDT
[#44]
Nice kills and nice riffles
Link Posted: 12/30/2008 12:06:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: smokie] [#45]
Originally Posted By CornDogg723a:
Nice kills and nice riffles

thanks!

eta...OOPS!...post 762.....i was saving that bacon!
Link Posted: 12/30/2008 12:42:08 AM EDT
[#46]
One for you, one for the missus?
Link Posted: 12/30/2008 6:24:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By rizzo1318:
One for you, one for the missus?

nah, i picked up two of them on sale at Gander mtn. and gave one to my cousin.

Link Posted: 12/30/2008 7:22:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Hoolie:
yea buddy looks like sum good eatin got me 2 off my back porch in my garden...but i forgot 2 snap a pic

You're not kidding about the good eatin'

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a386/RatFink1961/hunting/DSCF4865.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a386/RatFink1961/hunting/DSCF4866_.jpg

This is a good dinner pick.  9 of 10.  outstanding
Link Posted: 12/30/2008 11:34:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Decided to do a little sniping on rabbits today with Grandpa's old Glenfield Model 20.  This .22 is my favorite rabbit rifle for obvious reasons...it was my Grandpa's !! He passed on in 1987 and this is how I honor his memory with a solo hunt with his spirit by my side. He definitely must of been with me today, because all my shots found their mark to make clean one shot kills. I will now honor my grandmother's memory with some of that rabbit being fried the way she did it. Mashed potatoes, corn niblets, and homemade apple pie will make a nice meal for the family tommorow. It was good day and a bit of relfection of the grandparents I loved very much.

Happy New Year !!
Link Posted: 12/31/2008 12:05:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: smokie] [#50]
Originally Posted By Whisper44:
Decided to do a little sniping on rabbits today with Grandpa's old Glenfield Model 20.  This .22 is my favorite rabbit rifle for obvious reasons...it was my Grandpa's !! He passed on in 1987 and this is how I honor his memory with a solo hunt with his spirit by my side. He definitely must of been with me today, because all my shots found their mark to make clean one shot kills. I will now honor my grandmother's memory with some of that rabbit being fried the way she did it. Mashed potatoes, corn niblets, and homemade apple pie will make a nice meal for the family tommorow. It was good day and a bit of relfection of the grandparents I loved very much.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v98/slakline/Outdoors/003-5.jpg

Happy New Year !!

I'm sure your Grandparents are looking at you now and are very proud of you for dedicating this hunt to them! That is an awesome way to bring in the new year. Heck, I am proud of you as well!

Excellent hunt! and good shooting.

Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top