User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/18/2011 9:28:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By HUNTER223:
Originally Posted By river_rat:
Was the capibara that bad that you needed a "lot" ketchup or just b/c you really like a lot of ketchup? Beaver is especially good done up with your choice of BBQ sauce. Not that it tastes bad b/c it is similar to roast beef. That capibara meat looks like a lean pork.

Not at all! I'm just a dressing whore As long as you know how to clean the meat, capibara is awesome and cholesterol free!

HTR.

That follows with most any wild meat. Get rid of the fat and any glands attached to the meat and you are usually good unless you overcook it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2011 9:36:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PatriotAr15] [#2]

Hahaha, Rizzo, watching your videos was fun man, my hat off to you borther.

Here's my last "youhavetobeaverydementedmantoeatthat" feast down in South America.

Yes, Dillo.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b395/HUNTER223/DSC02465.jpg?t=1297745888

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b395/HUNTER223/DSC02513.jpg?t=1297745919

And no, these particular kind of dillos DO NOT carry leprosy, and not only that, but they taste GREAT!

Back to the predator subject, I know that there may not be a lot of gators where you live, but if you ever come across one while hunting, bag it, cook it and eat it.....you can thank me later as they kind of taste like frog....................kind of.

HTR.

That chunk of meat in your fingers looks astonishingly like Chicken meat. Looks tasty! Course if I saw an Armadillo served on a table, like one would serve a chicken (like I can see in the background of that picture).... I'd be pretty grossed out.

Link Posted: 2/24/2011 12:12:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Great thread!

Thanks for the vids, they were awesome.
Link Posted: 5/13/2011 10:30:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: usmc0331tamu00] [#4]
Originally Posted By rizzo1318:
Well someone was supposed to send me a groundhog, but that never happened.

So I was gonna eat a fox, but out of the 5 I've shot this year, 2 had rabies, one exploded from the hit, and 2 were in the back of the truck for too long.

Pigeon has been suggested, and I'd eat it, but it's really just like a dove or something around here.

So any suggestions? I'm still up for fox, just got to get a clean one.

Done it- tastes just like dove, just a little stronger and tougher.

Other unusual meat I've eaten is hutia or banana rat.  I killed dozens of them while in GTMO.  Fine eating indeed.  Like rabbit with more flavor.
Link Posted: 1/22/2012 10:08:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By MEDIKEIGHTED:
They're scavengers.  That ranks right up there with eating rat or opossum.   I'll pass.

Lobster are scavengers too. Pretty tasty 'scavenger.......'

Once you have eaten spiced monkey, dog and mountain goat in the P.I. you will try about anything.

Anything but tilapia. Fuck those nasty fish. I love fish, bit I have seen them in Hawaii when growing up; and I see them in the Salton Sea. And I ain't eating them, ever.
Link Posted: 3/4/2012 5:14:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Ferals...

Link Posted: 3/18/2012 4:34:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Mountain Lion isn't to bad.
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 9:10:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Two of my great grandmother loved groundhog. One of them wanted a young lean one and the other wanted an old fat one.
Link Posted: 3/19/2012 9:36:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By crushgrip:

Mountain Lion is good stuff!

Link Posted: 3/19/2012 9:51:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RafterMan] [#10]
My dad got a mountain lion this year and the guy who owned the dogs took the backstraps. He compares it to pork.

edit: if anyone wants to see the pics.kitty
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 6:51:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By RafterMan:
My dad got a mountain lion this year and the guy who owned the dogs took the backstraps. He compares it to pork.

edit: if anyone wants to see the pics.kitty

Nice cat! Was that AR in .223? If so, info on the load used?

Link Posted: 3/26/2012 6:50:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Rizzo - try wolf next just, read an interesting thread about hunting them in the tech forum, here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/568180_UNsuccessful_Wolf_Hunt_Day_Out_with_the_New_AR___.html

Unfortunately it degenerated into the usual bitch fest, like always.

Stupid smart phones. Tough to type.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 10:01:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By sm3570:
Rizzo - try wolf next just, read an interesting thread about hunting them in the tech forum, here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/568180_UNsuccessful_Wolf_Hunt_Day_Out_with_the_New_AR___.html

Unfortunately it degenerated into the usual bitch fest, like always.

Stupid smart phones. Tough to type.

If I ever get the chance to hunt one, I'll eat it for sure. I've cleaned some skulls, and seen them in the wild, but never had a permit for one. Someday, though . . . .

Link Posted: 8/27/2012 9:42:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ocshaman] [#14]
Next on the list?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coati

Link Posted: 8/27/2012 11:47:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By ocshaman:
Next on the list?

I want to kill one this year, and when I do, I will eat it.

Link Posted: 8/28/2012 2:40:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 1:08:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Next on the list?

I saw a dead one once

You know Rizzo, being a poor college student and seeing you didnt die..... i might start eating my kills to save on money now
Link Posted: 9/4/2012 12:53:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rizzo1318] [#18]
LIZARD

We were out in the woods yesterday and my son was hunting with his trusty Red Ryder BB gun. He decided that he wanted to hunt for lizards, and I told him he could hunt them only if he ate what he killed. A few minutes later he brings me a big ol' lizard, so we dig a fire pit, he starts a fire with his flint and steel, and we're ready for a snack.

We cook the lizard for a good 10 minutes - a nice, slow roast - and then he's good to go. My son got a little excited and got him a bit close to the fire for a bit, so he charred him a little. The video of him eating it didn't really work out the way I wanted it to, but here's a picture of his first bite. I told him to get right in on the belly, and he went for it.

In the end, I had to show him how it was done, and I ended up eating most of it (not a new thing for me) but he definitely got his share of lizard. What a tasty treat! If you've never tried it, I highly recommend it. A bit chewy, but tastes quite a bit like canned fish - think kippered snacks. You eat them bones and all, and while some people eat the whole thing, I toss the head and tail - those are mostly bone anyway.
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 9:17:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Ok, I'm tagscribing from Alaska  Hopefully I'll have photos of assorted critters in the pot in a few weeks (hoping to get a HTF small critter hunt going)
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 10:07:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By NorthPolar:
Ok, I'm tagscribing from Alaska  Hopefully I'll have photos of assorted critters in the pot in a few weeks (hoping to get a HTF small critter hunt going)

Post 'em up! I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Link Posted: 10/27/2012 1:03:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Kudos to you for teaching your son ethics and sportsmanship. Very admirable.    
LIZARD

We were out in the woods yesterday and my son was hunting with his trusty Red Ryder BB gun. He decided that he wanted to hunt for lizards, and I told him he could hunt them only if he ate what he killed. ...

Link Posted: 1/9/2013 9:41:13 PM EDT
[#22]
I love this thread!
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 8:28:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Man, I want some bobcat now.
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 9:52:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Grin:

Stay away from my bobcats grin... the ones I know of are nearer to you than me.. aww go get them (in November )

Rizzo, how ridiculous are out of state tags in Arizona? and would you guide a horrible hunter, I could use a vacation !
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 11:11:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By sseagle:

Stay away from my bobcats grin... the ones I know of are nearer to you than me.. aww go get them (in November )

Rizzo, how ridiculous are out of state tags in Arizona? and would you guide a horrible hunter, I could use a vacation !

Prices here aren't too awful, actually. What do you want to hunt? And yes - I'll always guide a friendly hunter.
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 10:10:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By sseagle:

Prices here aren't too awful, actually. What do you want to hunt? And yes - I'll always guide a friendly hunter.

Well, bobcats are my current fixation.. but seeing as Arizona has different species, I'd be up for something that I wouldn't find in missouri.

This would require some planning I guess. I appreciate the offer, and it would be great.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:44:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 1Andy2:

You probably shouldn't eat or even handle armadillo.  They carry Leprosy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 1Andy2:
Originally Posted By Muerte:
you are what you eat. Some animals have that game taste to it, but others taste good. Rabbits, Ducks, Squirels, etc but others have an aquired taste like armadillo, possom or racoon. If you want to try then eat if you dont like it then dont eat it but keep the fur at least.

You probably shouldn't eat or even handle armadillo.  They carry Leprosy.

ive herd the leprosy thing--but an old timming man told me they ate them back in the dpression days said they called them hover hogs
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:58:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Raccoon is good when prepared properly. Get the fat off and cook it slowly with some seasonings (your choice) and/or some BBQ sauce. Just a little for flavor and to keep it moist.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 2:28:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By river_rat:
Raccoon is good when prepared properly. Get the fat off and cook it slowly with some seasonings (your choice) and/or some BBQ sauce. Just a little for flavor and to keep it moist.
View Quote

Where did you get the coons you have eaten - urban or out in the boonies?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:12:43 PM EDT
[#30]
boonies. corn fed too.
Link Posted: 8/1/2013 4:12:24 AM EDT
[#31]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By crushgrip:

Agreed. A lean pork taste. Real good.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 9:22:38 PM EDT
[#32]

How was I really supposed to prove it? It would have been too easy at any point to switch the coyote with beef - guess the three guys I hunted with, my wife and my two kids will just have to be good enough witnesses.

Add to that the fact I'm not a liar, and you'll just have to accept it.

ETA: If I was gonna cheat, why would I have waited so long to get a "good" coyote?
View Quote

I believe you

I'd eat it, 10+

maybe

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 10:25:55 PM EDT
[#33]
raccoon was ok, but i will never eat opossum again.

i have always wanted to try badger, but there was never enough left to eat cook it up.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 9:58:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EnlistedDate] [#34]
LOL, Rizzo, you crazy sucker.

My dad commented to me many years ago, whether it be of two legged or four, if it stinks on the outside, DON'T EAT IT!!

Hint, a 24hr pre-soak in 25/75 white vinegar/water does wonders at drawing out impurities.

Depending on what it is, YMMV.

Link Posted: 6/23/2014 6:32:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By EnlistedDate:
LOL, Rizzo, you crazy sucker.
My dad commented to me many years ago, whether it be of two legged or four, if it stinks on the outside, DON'T EAT IT!!
Hint, a 24hr pre-soak in 25/75 white vinegar/water does wonders at drawing out impurities.
Depending on what it is, YMMV.

View Quote

Oh man, there were definitely better ways to cook that coyote, but I wanted to try it "natural."

Once was enough.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 9:23:11 PM EDT
[#36]
hey rizzo, have you ever eaten badger?
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 9:51:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MTNmyMag] [#37]

Plenty of Coati around here.....

Do you want me to shoot one, jerky it up and ship it to you?

JK, of course.

HTR.
View All Quotes
Next on the list?

Plenty of Coati around here.....

Do you want me to shoot one, jerky it up and ship it to you?

JK, of course.

HTR.

LTNS HTR

ETA see this post was 2 years ago, hope you are well man
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 1:06:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Mt lion= Pretty good sweet pork
Bobcat female= About the same
Central American armadillo= greasy, but tender in a chili stew
6ft Iguana= chicken
Coati=tasted like coon
I wanted to try jaguar, but the locals all swore it would make you violently ill.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 5:27:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Lizard...

Good luck on the Coati...

My brother want to go down south where I saw that massive herd of them to scout Merans quail and plug any coyote we see... I'll have to check the Coati season just incase...
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 3:08:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 11:45:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Stickman:

Someone commented to me when I made a similar post about my nephews, that lizards are filled with parasites, so make sure you cook them extra long.  It sounds like your little guy did a nice job with that, but for anyone else who isn't aware, cook em good!

I think back to the size of the lizards I saw in Kuwait and Iraq, and can't help but wonder what the taste would have been like.  Most of them were pretty good sized!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Stickman:
LIZARD

We were out in the woods yesterday and my son was hunting with his trusty Red Ryder BB gun. He decided that he wanted to hunt for lizards, and I told him he could hunt them only if he ate what he killed. A few minutes later he brings me a big ol' lizard, so we dig a fire pit, he starts a fire with his flint and steel, and we're ready for a snack.

Someone commented to me when I made a similar post about my nephews, that lizards are filled with parasites, so make sure you cook them extra long.  It sounds like your little guy did a nice job with that, but for anyone else who isn't aware, cook em good!

I think back to the size of the lizards I saw in Kuwait and Iraq, and can't help but wonder what the taste would have been like.  Most of them were pretty good sized!

I've eaten several different types of lizards, can't say any of them were particularly disgusting, nor were they particularly delicious. But they've all been edible.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 6:19:48 AM EDT
[#42]
I have always wondered what badger tasted like, but there never was enough left when we killed one to find out.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 3:08:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By thewildman:
I have always wondered what badger tasted like, but there never was enough left when we killed one to find out.
View Quote

Badgers stink way too much for me to want to eat them. Blech.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 9:39:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Tag.

If it hasn't been asked, what part of AZ? I just found this thread, about to dig in.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 6:00:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Iguana is good.
Page / 8
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top