Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/8/2017 2:17:32 PM EDT
Hey folks. I've never been hunting before, but this morning I received my deer tag for the fall. I will be hunting with a PSA 308 with a silencer. I haven't decided yet which optic.

Anyway. Wish me luck!
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 2:21:06 PM EDT
[#1]
You might want to check your laws. It is illegal to hunt with a silencer here. But then, this is not a free state.
Congrats on your first tag.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 2:27:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You might want to check your laws. It is illegal to hunt with a silencer here. But then, this is not a free state.
Congrats on your first tag.
View Quote
I mean we can't own them
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 2:39:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Silencers are legal for hunting in North Dakota.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 3:38:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Start going out to the area you plan on hunting if feasible, find the main game trails, look for food and water sources for the deer, figure out the main wind direction and plan on where you're going to set up unless you plan on still hunting.

It's not so much the equipment, it's whether you can get to the animal or get him to come to you.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 3:59:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Remember to relax and enjoy yourself.  Being outside, with a rifle, in pretty country does not happen every day.  

A few days before, read "Venison Harvest", by Jeff Cooper, and if you are the bookish type, read Meditations on Hunting.  

I think too often we get hung up on gear and what not and forget to to enjoy not being at work/indoors/etc.  Be prepared to take care of the animal after the shot.  Get that animal cleaned out and cooled off as fast as possible.  (cool might not be a problem in ND.....)
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 4:21:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Sign of a decent state. What are your goals?
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 5:15:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I want meat. I don't particularly care if I get a nice trophy, I just want the hunting experience and a big pile of cheap meat. I hope to do my own butchering, with some guidance.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 9:15:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I want meat. I don't particularly care if I get a nice trophy, I just want the hunting experience and a big pile of cheap meat. I hope to do my own butchering, with some guidance.
View Quote
Lots of YouTube videos out there on butchering.  I hate to admit it but my wife taught me how to cut up a deer.  I knew how to gut and quarter but she knows how to get all the different cuts.

Good luck and shoot the fattest one you see.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 10:06:11 PM EDT
[#9]
If the deer is more distant, of course I will aim for the lungs to try to give myself the largest margin of error possible. But if a deer appears at say 20 or 40 yards, where should I aim to minimize meat damage? The head? Neck? Or is the lung shot still good enough?

Which gender produces better meat?
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 11:38:22 PM EDT
[#10]
What tag did you draw? Unit and species I mean.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 8:24:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What tag did you draw? Unit and species I mean.
View Quote
I'm not sure. I'm looking on the ND game and fish website, and all it says is 'approved'. I put in for gratis on my farmland in 2D.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 8:24:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Whitetail.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 4:54:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
You mean there are people who save money on meat by hunting?

Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 5:13:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If the deer is more distant, of course I will aim for the lungs to try to give myself the largest margin of error possible. But if a deer appears at say 20 or 40 yards, where should I aim to minimize meat damage? The head? Neck? Or is the lung shot still good enough?

Which gender produces better meat?
View Quote
If the deer come out at less than 40 yards I would wait until they are facing you and look up then pop them in the center of the white spot on their neck.  

I have seen several deer with their jaws blown off and live for a couple of days so I advise against a headshot.

Edit: Doe meat is preferable over buck but a buck will give you more meat.   Buck meat will be better if its taken before the rut starts.  I eat a probably 12 or more deer a year.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 11:00:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Please do some research on shot placement etc prior to heading out as the deer deserves that much.

Try to get some advice from tenured hunters in your area as that will be very helpful.

I don't fully understand the suppressed hunting for deer. It's normally one shot and done....  I do have several suppressor but have no desire to add length to a hunting rifle.

Best of luck, you won't forget your first deer.  Can't wait for deer season.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 12:10:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Please do some research on shot placement etc prior to heading out as the deer deserves that much.

Try to get some advice from tenured hunters in your area as that will be very helpful.

I don't fully understand the suppressed hunting for deer. It's normally one shot and done....  I do have several suppressor but have no desire to add length to a hunting rifle.

Best of luck, you won't forget your first deer.  Can't wait for deer season.
View Quote
The silencer is for hearing protection, and because I can. I know that a lung shot is desirable for quick death; I was inquiring if there was a more preferred shot to preserve as much meat as possible, if I am close enough to take advantage of it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 12:30:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The silencer is for hearing protection, and because I can. I know that a lung shot is desirable for quick death; I was inquiring if there was a more preferred shot to preserve as much meat as possible, if I am close enough to take advantage of it.
View Quote
If you use a good bullet that doesn't explode when it impacts, a lung shot will ruin little, if any, meat.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 12:47:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If you use a good bullet that doesn't explode when it impacts, a lung shot will ruin little, if any, meat.
View Quote
Thank you.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 1:15:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Start going out to the area you plan on hunting if feasible, find the main game trails, look for food and water sources for the deer, figure out the main wind direction and plan on where you're going to set up unless you plan on still hunting.

It's not so much the equipment, it's whether you can get to the animal or get him to come to you.
View Quote
 Get out in the field before light and watch their travel.  Like here the deer travel to some alfalfa fields at night and early morning head back to the river and thick brush to hide in for the day.  Barely passable by human so no getting a shot in it.  

So I know to catch them early leaving the alfalfa ,  and you can almost set a watch to when they start leaving and the path they take.  

If you watch them they may do the same route every day.  
 Just don't go in and disrupt their natural route.

As posted above,  cant stress the wind and being busted by your scent enough.  
 GOOD LUCK.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top