Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2017 10:46:45 PM EDT
So ive always gone for deer with a 30-30 or .270 but this year i wanted to try 5.56

distance wont be more than 200, maybe 250 yards.

rifle will be a knights armament 16" with a trijicon 1-8 accupower

What round have people had success with in 5.56 for deer? i was thinking the hornady 75gr superformance.

Any other suggestions?

the rifle -

Link Posted: 7/25/2017 10:51:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't forget which tree you lean that sombuck up against!   That thing is seriously camoed!     No clue on your question, just here to see the answers.....   
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 11:13:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote

You could probably just sneak up on him and slit his throat. Nice camo.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 12:43:37 AM EDT
[#3]
64gr Gold Dot.

Now go update your rusty woodsman restoration thread!!!
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 12:46:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't forget which tree you lean that sombuck up against!   That thing is seriously camoed!     No clue on your question, just here to see the answers.....   
View Quote
Never have a camo wallet!!!  Go kill deer OP.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 12:51:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I've killed three deer in Idaho with my AR-15, 2-large Mule deer bucks and 1- Whitetail deer buck.

I used Gold Dot 64 Grain softpoints.
The whitetail collapsed on the spot, and never moved with one shot at 150 yards, plus or minus a couple of yards,

The Mule deer last October, a 6x4, and later weighed at 255 pounds ran about 40 yeards and fell over.
The same round, 64 Grain softpoint took out both front shoulders.

3 or 4 years ago, I shot a mule deer buck with the same load, and with the same results, only ran a few yards.

I hope that helps with an answer.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 8:38:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've killed three deer in Idaho with my AR-15, 2-large Mule deer bucks and 1- Whitetail deer buck.

I used Gold Dot 64 Grain softpoints.
The whitetail collapsed on the spot, and never moved with one shot at 150 yards, plus or minus a couple of yards,

The Mule deer last October, a 6x4, and later weighed at 255 pounds ran about 40 yeards and fell over.
The same round, 64 Grain softpoint took out both front shoulders.

3 or 4 years ago, I shot a mule deer buck with the same load, and with the same results, only ran a few yards.

I hope that helps with an answer.
View Quote
thats another one i was considering.

I was about to pick up 10 boxes of it from PSA for $9.99 each but decided to wait to see if was any good first.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 9:25:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

thats another one i was considering.

I was about to pick up 10 boxes of it from PSA for $9.99 each but decided to wait to see if was any good first.
View Quote
FO hard on that deal.  It's outstanding ammo. Hits hard and groups very well out of my 18" rifle gas upper.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 9:38:58 AM EDT
[#8]
64 grain Soft points that your rifle likes are good to go.

75 grain Speer Gold Dot will do just fine too. My rifles likes it. Killed a hog not a few weeks ago with it DRT. If that makes you feel better.

ETA: I also dig your sponge camo or however you did that.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 9:50:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
64 grain Soft points that your rifle likes are good to go.

75 grain Speer Gold Dot will do just fine too. My rifles likes it. Killed a hog not a few weeks ago with it DRT. If that makes you feel better.

ETA: I also dig your sponge camo or however you did that.
View Quote
thanks.

Yeah its sponge camo.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 3:08:37 PM EDT
[#10]
How are you liking that new Trijicon?  

Barnes TSX loads seem to get good reviews on deer, I'm using the 62 grain load on deer in my 18" rifle this winter.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 9:51:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How are you liking that new Trijicon?  

Barnes TSX loads seem to get good reviews on deer, I'm using the 62 grain load on deer in my 18" rifle this winter.
View Quote
the 1-8 is pretty awesome. Glass is really clear, eye relief is perfect for how i shoot. Definitely daylight bright when turned up.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 10:58:12 AM EDT
[#12]
done
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top