Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2017 12:27:34 PM EDT
Anybody have a wooden or fiberglass ground blind? Looking to replace a popup nylon one that sits near a food plot on our lease.

Looking for opinions.

http://www.mylazymanstands.com/stands.html

These guys are reasonably close to me and are reasonably priced. 5-7 hundred

Just curious is anyone else has a similar set up
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 1:37:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I was turkey hunting at my club yesterday and thinking about building a couple of ground blinds for deer season.

We have a couple of spots where visibility is better on the ground than in a tree stand because of hollys. I'm in MD fwiw.

I was thinking 5'x3', just big enough for two if need be, cheaper on materials.

I would build them almost like I build duck and goose blinds on the water, but with open windows and a full width roof.

So, prefab a front 7'6" tall framed with treated 2x4s and paneled with 3/8" treated plywood (or untreated and painted) 7'4" tall with a full length window, a 2'9" wide side sloping from 7'4" to 6'4" with full width window, a back 6'4" tall with window, panel the door side down to 6'4" and tie top and bottom with 2x4s, and make a 6'4" door with a window. Frame the windows for sliding plywood or plexiglass. Build a floor but use ~20" centers and 1/2" treated plywood or 5/4x6" decking, which ever is cheaper. Roof would be left over plywood with tar paper on top for rain and snow.

For a duck and goose blinds we drive treated 4x4s into the marsh or bank and use treated 2x6s to put the floor on, and since I know that works and gives decades of service I would do the same. Floor goes on and gets toe nailed to front 4x4s and 2x6s, then front, side, back get nailed to floor, in that order. Tie in open side, panel to 6'4" use HD spring loaded hinges for door....

I could prefab and install two in a day with one of my club mates I think.

I'm thinking $150/blind or so if the treated wood is limited to the floor assembly, 4x4s and 2x6s.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 2:54:48 PM EDT
[#2]
My brother and I built a pretty sweet blind using lumber leftover from other projects, and 2 big skids from his work (big CAT generator came on them)
Only lumber we had to buy was a dozen 2x4's.
Grabbed 2 rolls of felt and 2 squares of mixed color shingle.
Windows were curbside finds (sliding storm windows.)
Had a roll of torchdown rubber laying around for the roof.
All said and done, it's 7.5' square, "camo" shingled sides, 360 degree windows at perfect shooting height.
Floor is about 2' above the field it sits over.
A propane heater, a few deep-cycles, LED lighting and ports to charge phones, solar panel keeps the batts topped off between trips.
The deer and turkey come right up to it even with the heater running.
Put an inverter in there last year and a 12 cup coffee maker (LOL!) Doe #1 of the day was taken while the pot was brewing.
Total cost between the 2 of us was about $450, and 10 hours total construction/interior work.
Comfortable room for 3, gets a little tight with 4 (nephews).
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 5:56:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Definitely had thought about the battery/solar panel  its been in the 90s here during deer season.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My brother and I built a pretty sweet blind using lumber leftover from other projects, and 2 big skids from his work (big CAT generator came on them)
Only lumber we had to buy was a dozen 2x4's.
Grabbed 2 rolls of felt and 2 squares of mixed color shingle.
Windows were curbside finds (sliding storm windows.)
Had a roll of torchdown rubber laying around for the roof.
All said and done, it's 7.5' square, "camo" shingled sides, 360 degree windows at perfect shooting height.
Floor is about 2' above the field it sits over.
A propane heater, a few deep-cycles, LED lighting and ports to charge phones, solar panel keeps the batts topped off between trips.
The deer and turkey come right up to it even with the heater running.
Put an inverter in there last year and a 12 cup coffee maker (LOL!) Doe #1 of the day was taken while the pot was brewing.
Total cost between the 2 of us was about $450, and 10 hours total construction/interior work.
Comfortable room for 3, gets a little tight with 4 (nephews).
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 6:31:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Definitely had thought about the battery/solar panel  its been in the 90s here during deer season.
View Quote
Our early archery season can be warm, but I'm in a climber for that.
Muzzleloader has been in the 40's last few seasons, and rifle in December is just stupid cold most years.
Flintlock was like a watch on the Wall prior to building the blind.
I'm usually tagged out before flintlock, but it's nice having options.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 8:45:24 PM EDT
[#5]
We build these 8'x6'x8' with a full size door.  We use 5/8" T1-11 exterior siding and frame it like you would a house with regular 2x4" studs.  Foor the floor we use pressure treated 2x10" for th sub floor and 3/4" pressure treated plywood for the decking. For roofing material we use the rolls of roofing that you use a torch to melt it so it sticks.  If I remember right we have around $500-$600 in them.  Zebra stiped carpet is optional.Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 9:34:33 AM EDT
[#6]
That is pretty awesome.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 11:42:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Redacted
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 1:53:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I like that too.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 1:56:15 PM EDT
[#9]
What it lacks in polish it makes up for in comfort and function.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 8:21:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I would think you could build one cheaper than buying one prefabricated unless you don't have the ability to build one.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 8:27:44 AM EDT
[#11]
A local moving company gave away 4'x3'x8' plywood shipping crates.  I got two and bought a roll of tar paper. I set it on some cinder blocks I had laying around.  While my blind is not as nice as some of y'alls, it only cost me ~$25.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top