Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2017 7:03:35 AM EDT
I finally managed to get out for a hunt this week after an absolutely miserable summer. I saw a lot of animals and eventually chose to shoot a nice 14 point Red Stag, the best I've seen in the wild or shot to date. Here's the film - enjoy! Man I absolutely cannot get embedding to work on here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsULeO-f_yI
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 7:46:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Took a little work to get that to play, had to use search terms "35 velvet stag" but worth it, very cool video, nice job.

What are details on the rifle you used?

How many trips to pack that guy out?
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 1:53:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Took a little work to get that to play, had to use search terms "35 velvet stag" but worth it, very cool video, nice job.

What are details on the rifle you used?

How many trips to pack that guy out?
View Quote
Fixed the link! Sorry, I'd cut off a letter in my efforts to get it to embed. Using my Sako 85 Finnlight in .260 Remington, barrel shortened to 19.4" with a DPT overbarrel suppressor, Bradley BUL cheekrest, custom 20moa rail and Schmidt and Bender 3-12x50 PMII. 
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 10:05:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Beautiful country.

Make the video hot for you.  I LOL at the doe bark at about 4:30 - that was too funny - guess deer all over the world have that snort that means to get the hell out of dodge.

Red

Film 35: Hard Velvet Fourteen Pointer
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 10:06:45 AM EDT
[#4]
double tap
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:53:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Beautiful country.

Make the video hot for you.  I LOL at the doe bark at about 4:30 - that was too funny - guess deer all over the world have that snort that means to get the hell out of dodge.

Red

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsULeO-f_yI
View Quote
Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 12:15:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Beautiful stag!

I'm planning on making the trip down April or May 2018!
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:48:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Beautiful stag!

I'm planning on making the trip down April or May 2018!
View Quote

Hopefully to the South Island! It's definitely the best island 
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 7:33:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Hopefully to the South Island! It's definitely the best island 
View Quote

Of course!

I convinced my wife to let me go hunting for a week, then she'll meet back up with me for our long overdue honeymoon.

I'm trying to convince one of my friends to tag along, but he's not to keen on the 24+hours worth of plane riding for the chance at a tahr, chamois, and/or red stag.

It's one of my dream hunts.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 6:44:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Of course!

I convinced my wife to let me go hunting for a week, then she'll meet back up with me for our long overdue honeymoon.

I'm trying to convince one of my friends to tag along, but he's not to keen on the 24+hours worth of plane riding for the chance at a tahr, chamois, and/or red stag.

It's one of my dream hunts.
View Quote

Good luck!
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:41:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Do you go back for the rest of the animal? Always curious about the iconic "victorious hunter with antlers on his back" vignette. I always wonder if they go back for the rest of the meat.

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:10:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Do you ever see whitetail when you are out and about?  I know the population is small.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 1:01:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Do you go back for the rest of the animal? Always curious about the iconic "victorious hunter with antlers on his back" vignette. I always wonder if they go back for the rest of the meat.

-Stooxie
View Quote

Legally there's no requirement to take the entirety of the animal in New Zealand, they're classed as invasive pests legally. I take the back legs and backsteaks which is the majority of the usable meat off the animal, I bone it out in the field so it's lighter to carry. Generally don't bother filming it as I'm too busy trying to keep the blowflies off and my hands are covered in blood which isn't flash for the camera...
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 1:03:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Do you ever see whitetail when you are out and about?  I know the population is small.
View Quote

I have seen them down around Lake Wakatipu where there is a small herd, but I currently live & hunt a long way from there so don't see them at all these days.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 10:15:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Path,  I always look forward to your vids and I am never disappointed!  As far as I'm concerned, you are living the dream!  Thanks, again, for sharing!
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 11:12:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I guided a very nice elderly gentleman that spent six months hunting in New Zealand when his U.S. Navy ship he was on in the 60's almost got split in two, he had some amazing stories of going out and harvesting game with a local hunter.  Here is his business card.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 4:53:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I guided a very nice elderly gentleman that spent six months hunting in New Zealand when his U.S. Navy ship he was on in the 60's almost got split in two, he had some amazing stories of going out and harvesting game with a local hunter.  Here is his business card.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/340403/IMG-1456-161353.JPG
View Quote

That's a heck of a resume
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 8:50:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Awesome video once again.

What effect does contact with tree nettle have?

Are there predators there that feed on the carcass?
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 3:57:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Awesome video once again.

What effect does contact with tree nettle have?

Are there predators there that feed on the carcass?
View Quote

Thanks, the tree nettle stings! and leaves the affected area numb for a few days.

Just birds and insects mostly, not really mammals.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top