Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2017 9:30:05 PM EDT
As the title says, I need help. I don't have a huge gun budget, so I have to plan my purchases carefully and save for a good while. I've been planning on building a 6.5 creedmoor to get my foot in the long range door, probably a #5 barrel or heavier and a good stock. I know this will kill deer just fine, but it's also going to be a pain in the ass to carry up and down mountains because of the weight. I've thought about the Rem700 M40 in 25-06 as it will do great on deer and get close to 1000yd line on a range, but it's also pretty heavy and not a great competition round. So do I go budget for a hunting rifle, a Savage Axis for example, so I don't drain my savings, or just deal with the weight and length or the 6.5cm?
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 9:38:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
As the title says, I need help. I don't have a huge gun budget, so I have to plan my purchases carefully and save for a good while. I've been planning on building a 6.5 creedmoor to get my foot in the long range door, probably a #5 barrel or heavier and a good stock. I know this will kill deer just fine, but it's also going to be a pain in the ass to carry up and down mountains because of the weight. I've thought about the Rem700 M40 in 25-06 as it will do great on deer and get close to 1000yd line on a range, but it's also pretty heavy and not a great competition round. So do I go budget for a hunting rifle, a Savage Axis for example, so I don't drain my savings, or just deal with the weight and length or the 6.5cm?
View Quote

I wouldn't want to carry a target rifle for hunting, but I walk a good bit when hunting.  If you can't afford more than 400 or so the Axis 2 and ruger american are pretty good rifles.  Don't know if you can get either in 6.5 creedmor but you can get them both in 308, 243 or 7mm08.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 9:47:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't have to get the budget gun in 6.5cm, I should have specified that. To clarify, I meant should I get a budget hunting rifle (in whatever caliber), and will it be worth the money I spend on it, so that I can still have a base to start the other build? I don't want to spend $700 on a hunting rifle I'll shoot once a year (at least at the moment) if I don't have to because it will wipe out my build fund. Is a rifle like an Axis worth it accuracy wise?
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 10:13:16 PM EDT
[#3]
.308  because deaded is why
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 12:37:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Any rifle that is really and truly suited to long range shooting is likely going to be a lousy whitetail rifle....   All the things that make for  great long range rifle make it heavy, long, and bulky.  Unless you are driving the 4x4 to the blind, the target rifle is going to suck.  Royally.

I don't know your situation, but the ideal deer rifle for most places east of the mississippi looks a whole lot like a 20" Remington Model Seven or a similar Ruger American.  There is no problem with any 6.5mm.   6.5 Swede, 260 Rem, or 6.5 Creedmore, all will work very very well.  A short light carbine like this, with a 1.5-6x scope is short, light and handy.  I;ve been using one for 20+ years....  Its actually shorter than the old reliable standby, the Win 94 30-30, checks in at about the same weight, yet is fully capable to any reasonable range... If you are hunting timber, or your shots are likely under 300 yards, its REALLY hard to beat this sort of combo in 260, 6.5 Creedmore, 7mm08 or 308 Win...

If you are west of the mississippi and shooting at longer ranges consistently, a somewhat longer, heavier rifle with a bit more scope may be called for.  I'd be opting for something along the lines of a 270, 280, 7mm rem mag.  Personnally, I'm shooting a Cooper 52 in 280 Ackley Improved, but tis not a budget rifle.  And while great for somewhat longer ranges, its still a hunting rifle (carried a lot, shot rarely during hunts) that really doesnt cut it for targets at long range.  But there is still a huge difference between a 24" 7.5lb rifle with a 3-9x scope for deer and a 12.5lb target rifle with a 5-20X
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 7:36:38 AM EDT
[#5]
No way I'd lug a target rifle around. My experience with the Ruger American I picked up during the great Walmart sale has been very positive. Trigger is a bit better on the Savage 111 I hunt with but it made a fine rifle for the 15yr old that hunts with me
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 3:26:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I got one of the Axis II in 25-06 last year and hunted with it.  I could have gotten a more expensive rifle but knew I would be hauling it on the four wheeler and bumping it into stuff in the woods.  It shoots good with all factory ammo I've run through it.  I plan on reloading for it in the future and suspect it will be more accurate with some reloads.

Filled one doe tag with it last fall and plan on filling more later this year also.  

It's a great rifle for the price and you could still work on building your 6.5 without breaking the bank.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top