Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2017 1:07:35 PM EDT
My dad just received a Savage 220 for his birthday from my mom. He has used a Beretta Pintail for a slug gun for over 10 years with a Bushnell scope.

He has wanted the Savage for a while and now that he has it he needs to know the best option for a scope. He has been looking and reading about the Nikon Slughunter 3-9x40.

There are mixed reviews on the net about the Nikon. I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with the Nikon or any other advice on which scopes to look at.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 10:41:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I use a Vortex Diamondback HP 2-8x32 on my slug gun.  It has excellent eye relief (around 4.5") and very clear glass.  I like the low end Mag is at 2x for close shots, and don't feel 8x vs 9x at the high end is any kind of hindrance on a slug gun.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 1:01:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Given that a slug gun really is a sub 200 yard gun, there is zero need for anything in the 3-9x range.  You'd be better served with something running about 1.5-6x.

Leupold VX3i 1.5-5x would work great.  If you want cheaper, but still great performance, Weaver Grandslam 1.5-5X also is a great choice.  2-7x would be as high a magnification as I'd go on a slug gun.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 1:09:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Bushnell Bone Collector for shotguns if you can still find one.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 9:08:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies and sorry I'm just getting back. He just now got around to looking at a few scopes.

He's leaning towards the leupold vx2 3-9x40.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 9:17:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I've used the holdovers on the Bushnell to kill 3 deer over 175 yards with my 220.  I like their Rainguard coating.
The one Leupold I own has such a tight power ring, I can't turn it in cold weather, a chronic Leupold problem it seems.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 8:51:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Given that a slug gun really is a sub 200 yard gun, there is zero need for anything in the 3-9x range.  You'd be better served with something running about 1.5-6x.

Leupold VX3i 1.5-5x would work great.  If you want cheaper, but still great performance, Weaver Grandslam 1.5-5X also is a great choice.  2-7x would be as high a magnification as I'd go on a slug gun.
View Quote
Agree with a lower power scope with good eye relief.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 12:23:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I run a Nikon buckmaster 3-9 × 40 on mine
My farthest shot was 103 yards for a deer
My buddy has a measured 175 yard shot on a deer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top