Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2017 1:59:28 PM EDT
It's been a long season in Ohio.  I haven't seen many big bucks on camera this season, but there was one I was hoping to get a chance at.  The first time I saw him was on trail camera last October.  He came in one evening for a brief moment.  After that, I had a couple months of nighttime photos.   I had never seen him with my eyes.  

I hunted several different stands over the course of 3 months hoping to get a crack at him, or even just see him.   Finally on Christmas day and New years,  he came in during daylight again.  I have a foodplot in the woods behind the house with some clover and turnips planted in it.  He had been in at 5:00 both of those evenings.  Of course, I wasn't out either one.   I hunted about 7 evening between Christmas and Jan. 7th, and didn't see a single deer.  

The muzzleloader season is currently on right now, and I arranged to get off work a little early last night.  I made it into the box blind behind the house around 4:30 and waited.   I didn't see a thing until around 5:30.  I looked out the side window of my blind, and noticed a deer walking through the woods broadside about 100 yards out, heading away.  I quickly opened the window and pulled up my gun.  As it moved through the trees, I couldn't tell if it was him, but I could tell the rack stuck out past his nose quite a ways, so as he stepped into the only possible shooting lane before he was gone, I shot.  I watched him run off about 100 yards and stop.  It looked like he stumbled a little, and then kept walking out of sight. From the time I first saw him until I shot was only about 3 seconds.  I guess that is how hunting goes.  Days and days of seeing nothing and 3 seconds of action.  

I got down,  went back to the house, and got my son and a flashlight.  I walked up to where he was running, and at first saw no blood.  About 40 yards later, I saw a couple drops.  I then found where he stumbled, and saw lots of blood.   Luckily with the snow on the ground, it was easy to follow his tracks.  I went about 10 more yards, and shined the light ahead and saw him laying there.  He is a mainframe 11.  It felt good to finally hold the rack.  My son was pretty excited.  I liked this picture of him and the deer.  With as small as he is,  he makes the deer look bigger.

Link Posted: 1/10/2017 2:14:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Great story and a great deer! Congrats!
Here in Michigan we had bad luck seeing any bucks this past season. Harvested a couple of does though so that's a plus!
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 2:30:20 PM EDT
[#2]
That is a nice Ohio Buck.  Well Done sir.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 4:07:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice, your son will always remember that.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 4:10:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 10:14:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 3:28:16 PM EDT
[#6]
That is so awesome. I honestly think that's way more rewarding than getting the first one you see.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 3:47:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Congrats!  I hunted a big buck this year I struggled to let walk last year.  If he is still around next year and I get a shot-I will be lucky.  Glad you got yours!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top