Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/29/2016 3:33:37 PM EDT
I havent saw anything posted, but I am curious what rifle sling everyone uses, WITH A BACK PACK? I have found that backpacks and slings dont work well together. what sling/backpack combo has everyone found to work well together? my butler creek padded sling always seems to slide off the pack padding, or it just wont stay put in general. Thoughts? ideas?
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 9:53:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I hunt public land, which means I walk in with a climber on my back every time I go hunting. I don't bother with a sling for this reason.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 5:36:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I virtually always have a medium day pack with me. The trick, at least for my build, is to put on the pack, then shoulder the rifle, placing the sling over the pack straps, and more inwards.  The pack strap helps keep the sling strap on the shoulder.

An additional trick:  Forget the usual traditional muzzle up carry. Put the sling on "up side down" with the padded portion nearest the buttstock.  If you are right handed, mount the rifle muzzle down on the left shoulder. The bolt will not dig your shoulder, as its pointing outboard. let the rifle ride muzzle down, and it will ride along your side.  This works great with any rifle that had a shorter barrel, right up to 24".  The lower center of gravity helps keep it in place.  It will ride there without issue.

If you grab the fore stock with the left hand and swing the rifle up to the right shoulder , the sling will automatically wrap into a hasty sling shooting position.  it is very very fast....  Been doing it this way for 20+ years...  everyone thinks its weird.  It just plain works...

Fro
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 8:14:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I use a Maxpedition Sitka pack for just this reason.  It has one strap over my left shoulder.  My right side is free to sling or shoot a rifle.
I don't carry much though, if it wasn't for my thermos of coffee I could get away with no pack.
Another thing I started doing in the woods is carrying my handgun cross draw.  I'm no fan of cross draw in a social setting but its great in the woods.  Doesn't bang my slung rifle, not under my pack,  not jabbing me in the back while sitting in the stand, always in reach of either hand.
I know none of this is exactly what you asked but I was in the same situation and this was my solution.
      Good Luck, MBanning
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 11:59:36 AM EDT
[#4]
no its all relevant, I am looking at switching up my pack to a sling pack maybe. Im not a fan of cross draw either, but I may have to start doing that as well. I havent really used a sling pack before, but I got one for Christmas so Im looking forward to trying it out for hiking and other uses.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 11:28:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I only use slings from Rifle-Craft.com though I dont always use a daypack. When I do its a small pack from HPG and I've never had an issue with shoulder straps and slings. Even when using my main pack doesnt inter fear with my sling (but sometimes the crap I have on my pack belt does).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top